“All around wonderful!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rockaway, New Jersey, United States
“All around wonderful!”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

My husband and I were a little leery about another B&B experience, since our last two attempts were less than stellar (to say the least). However, the Connecticut River Valley Inn was a spectacular, all around wonderful get-away. The rooms are beautiful, cozy, and spotless with special artistic touches everywhere you turn. The white chocolate chip lavender scones are out of this world delicious, and Patricia and Wayne are the sweetest, most attentive hosts ever. If you are looking to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life (even for just one night) this is the place to go. My husband and I spent our morning sitting and reading in the shaded hammock in the beautiful garden, and enjoyed sipping hot coco in front of the fireplace before bed. We really felt like royalty and we are already planning our next visit. Thank you Pat, Wayne, LoLo and Widget!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
New York City
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We did not realize what a special place this Inn was was when we booked our reservation. We booked the third floor suite and it was particularly magical. It consists of two rooms, each with fireplaces, connected by a renovated bathroom with a spectalucar shower - a forest scene mural is bordered with smooth stones that have been laid by hand. The showerhead has 4 settings, including one that sprays water from 4 nozzles sideways! Each room has high-quality touches - plush bedding, a hanging bamboo chair, a dressing screen. The hosts are gracious and helpful, the breakfast delicious, the furnishings lovely. The inn is conveniently located close enough to shops to walk to, but in back there is a walking trail that leads down to the Connecticut River. This was a real find!

Room Tip: Choose the suite on the third floor
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We would like to thank Pat and Wayne for a wonderful day. I can't think of another bride who can say that their wedding was relaxing. We were impressed from our first meeting with Pat to our wonderful breakfast the next morning. They were truly willing to work with us to make our day special.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kimberly S
Dunedin, Florida
Reviewed January 13, 2012

My wife and enjoy bed and breakfast lodgings over hotels and if we could afford it, we would chose them every time. We recently had the opportunity to spend two nights in one, and for the holidays we drove up to Glastonbury, CT and stayed at the Connecticut River Valley Inn.

If you are ever in the area I would recommend this Inn. The owners Larry and Patricia are wonderful hosts and made us feel at home. This historic home is restored and our room had a gas fireplace to keep out the chill of the evening. A king size bed and a spacious bathroom made it that much fantastic. Since it was drizzling the time we were thee, we were unable to enjoy the walk-around porch outside our room.

Patricia served us a three course breakfast each morning and chatted with us answering our questions. Patricia is also an artist and her artwork is all around the home; she even had some her artwork licensed on dinnerware (which she proudly displayed).

Since it right on Main Street, we were able to walk to the shops and restaurants, but also drove to one restaurant the innkeepers recommended.

My only problem is that I am a light sleeper and our first night there, two of the other rooms were occupied and when the guests left early in the morning, I was awakened by their footsteps on the hardwood floors of the hallway and stairs. The second night we were the only guests and I got to sleep to almost 9:00 a.m. (Didn’t want to miss breakfast!)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dan K
Queens
Reviewed December 18, 2011

First we want to thank Wayne and Pat for an amazing weekend getaway. From the outside of the house to the little details like a Brita water pitcher in the room, the place was amazing. The decor was perfect ,if not better, than any B&B weve been to, My wife and I wanted to walk around the town and the inn keppers were so helpful to give us advice on where to go and supply us with a town map. The breakfast was amazing, especially the waffles!!! Room was beautiful and the balcony was perfect! We loved the dogs!!! Overall, thank you again for allowing us to recharge out mental batteries at your perfect inn!!! We will be back !!
Michael and Vanessa

Room Tip: The Winter Room that over looks the garden
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Buddy1107
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 24, 2011

This was my first time staying at a Bed & Breakfast and I absolutely loved it! The rooms were beautiful (and clean) and the property/grounds were well kept. The owners were pleasant, friendly, and the food was delicious. I noticed one of the reviewers mentioned housekeeping as an issue. This wasn't a problem for me. When I stay at a hotel for 2-3 days, I often forgo housekeeping as long as there are plenty of towels avaialable b/c I don't need my sheets changed daily (I don't do that at home). The bathrooms were clean and there were plenty of towels available. Finally, I must confess. I am a dog liker, NOT a dog lover. However, I loved the owner's dogs. Immediately, upon entry the owners asked if we were comfortable with dogs and offered to put them away if we were. Since I am a dog liker, I didn't have ... Breakfast and I absolutely loved it! The rooms were beautiful (and clean) and the property/grounds were well kept. The owners were pleasant, friendly, and the food was delicious. I noticed one of the reviewers mentioned housekeeping as an issue. This wasn't a problem for me. When I stay at a hotel for 2-3 days, I often forgo housekeeping as long as there are plenty of towels avaialable b/c I don't need my sheets changed daily (I don't do that at home). The bathrooms were clean and there were plenty of towels available. Finally, I must confess. I am a dog liker, NOT a dog lover. However, I loved the owner's dogs. Immediately, upon entry the owners asked if we were comfortable with dogs and offered to put them away if we were. Since I am a dog liker, I didn't have a problem with the dogs being around. I found the dogs to be really sweet, clean (no pet smell orders), and to be really quiet. The next time I am in the area I will definitely return. This was well worth the money and I'd recommend this inn to anyone, especially a first timer to bed & breakfast inns

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Texas
Reviewed November 22, 2011

My colleague and I were put up at the inn by the agency we were working for. It was ideally located - near fantastic restaurants. The innkeepers were warm and gracious. I was duly impressed with Pat, who was working her backside off while hobbling around on a broken leg and recently repaired hip!

If you're looking for an authentic historic reproduction, then this inn is not for you. If you're looking for a historic home with modern conveniences, decorated in a lively and original manner, then CT River Valley Inn is the place. They innkeepers did a fantastic job bringing the guest rooms up to modern tastes as far as amenities go. The steam shower? AHhhhh!! The rooms are generously proportioned! King size beds and STILL lots of room for desk, chairs, and all the other creature comforts.

Ok, so not authentically colonial or victorian, but I didn't care! Pat has a knack for decorating - the inn's interior is clearly coordinated but is not matchy-matchy. There are beautiful lamps in the bedrooms that would look equally appropriate in a contemporary home as it does in the inn. Not sure how she pulled it off, but she did. You can tell the Brubakers put their hearts into the home - their own sweat and tears. The decor is eclectic traditional colonial. Not sure if that makes sense. All I can say is that I felt at home. I must add, the Keurigs in EACH ROOM, with a full assortment of coffee, tea and hot cocoa!?!? That was PERFECT!!!

Breakfast was delicious - pumpkin waffles with real maple syrup. Fruit and creamy yogurt. Apple cider and orange juice, and of course . . . Keurig options! :)

If you are afraid of dogs, they will put them up for you . . . but I think you'd be happier someplace else. I loved the dogs - they were well behaved and absolutely ADORABLE!

Yes, if the opportunity presents itself, I will happily go back - hopefully hubby can come along next time! Brubakers . . . you ROCK!

Room Tip: All rooms on the 2nd floor are wonderful. Suite on the 3rd floor is great too! Can't go wrong.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank drjomc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glastonbury
Hilton Garden Inn Hartford South/Glastonbury
#2 of 12 in Hartford
Hampton Inn Rocky Hill
Hampton Inn Rocky Hill
#3 of 5 in Rocky Hill

Been to The Connecticut River Valley Inn? Share your experiences!