“Business or Pleasure: Comfort and convenience!”

The Connecticut River Valley Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Glastonbury B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Texas
“Business or Pleasure: Comfort and convenience!”
Reviewed November 22, 2011

My colleague and I were put up at the inn by the agency we were working for. It was ideally located - near fantastic restaurants. The innkeepers were warm and gracious. I was duly impressed with Pat, who was working her backside off while hobbling around on a broken leg and recently repaired hip!

If you're looking for an authentic historic reproduction, then this inn is not for you. If you're looking for a historic home with modern conveniences, decorated in a lively and original manner, then CT River Valley Inn is the place. They innkeepers did a fantastic job bringing the guest rooms up to modern tastes as far as amenities go. The steam shower? AHhhhh!! The rooms are generously proportioned! King size beds and STILL lots of room for desk, chairs, and all the other creature comforts.

Ok, so not authentically colonial or victorian, but I didn't care! Pat has a knack for decorating - the inn's interior is clearly coordinated but is not matchy-matchy. There are beautiful lamps in the bedrooms that would look equally appropriate in a contemporary home as it does in the inn. Not sure how she pulled it off, but she did. You can tell the Brubakers put their hearts into the home - their own sweat and tears. The decor is eclectic traditional colonial. Not sure if that makes sense. All I can say is that I felt at home. I must add, the Keurigs in EACH ROOM, with a full assortment of coffee, tea and hot cocoa!?!? That was PERFECT!!!

Breakfast was delicious - pumpkin waffles with real maple syrup. Fruit and creamy yogurt. Apple cider and orange juice, and of course . . . Keurig options! :)

If you are afraid of dogs, they will put them up for you . . . but I think you'd be happier someplace else. I loved the dogs - they were well behaved and absolutely ADORABLE!

Yes, if the opportunity presents itself, I will happily go back - hopefully hubby can come along next time! Brubakers . . . you ROCK!

Room Tip: All rooms on the 2nd floor are wonderful. Suite on the 3rd floor is great too! Can't go wrong.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank drjomc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Berea, Ohio
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Connecticut River Valley Inn on October 26 and 27, 2011. We've stayed at many B & B's over the years but our experience at this inn was the best yet. Pat Brubaker and her husband Wayne have done a fantastic job with this property, which is also their home. Everything is top-notch and they are the most cordial and welcoming innkeepers that we've ever met. Pat is an artist and you can tell that she's worked very hard to put her creative stamp on all aspects of her inn. We stayed in the Winter Solstice room, which is one of the largest. This room has an extremely comfortable king bed, an enormous bathroom and access to the second floor balcony. All rooms are heated with gas fireplaces and cooled by high-end, single-room AC units so it's easy to keep the room comfortable. Our bathroom had a great shower with a rain shower head and multiple body jets - A very expensive and high-tech set up. Water pressure was great. Even though the inn sits right on the main street in Glastonbury, there is no street noise at all. There is ample parking in front of their carriage house/art studio/garage with additional free parking on the street in front of the inn. Pat serves breakfast in her large dining room and provides a wonderful selection of breakfast foods. She was even able to accomodate my special dietary restrictions with no problem. All guests are given a "parting gift" upon checkout that consists of a large print of one of Pat's pieces. Guests are able to chose the piece that they would like to have. This is a great, unique touch to conclude your stay and something that I've never seen done anywhere else. We would highly recommend the Connecticut River Valley Inn and look forward to our next stay.

Dave and Jane Hartman

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington Crossing, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 15, 2011

An earlier reservation was postponed due to Hurricane Irene. The owner's easily agreed to allow us to defer to a later date. Sometimes people forget that bed and breakfasts cannot operate as hotels when it comes to cancellations. We decided to visit in October to see the area and some old friends. The Inn sets in a beautiful section of historical Glastonbury and the owners have done a great job of renovating the 1700s period home. The grounds are beautiful and the landscaping reflects what you would expect for a colonial period property. Our room was large and well-appointed. The owner is an artist and her works add much to the decor. We felt at home which is the sign of a well-run B+B. The other guests were easily met and we enjoyed conversing with them over breakfast. We hope to visit again in the near future.

Jim and Kathy Clabby
Washington Crossing, Pennsylvania

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
PatriciaB2010, Owner at The Connecticut River Valley Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2011
Thank you so much for a kind review. Thank you for taking the time!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Stayed here on a business trip and all I can say is that it exceeded expectations.
- The room was spacious and extremely clean - I'm a clean-freak so to be able to say this means a lot.
- The grounds were beautifully kept and there was a wonderful little running trail that I went on a jog on.
- Internet access was also excellent and I could work outside on my personal patio that was accessible only from my room.
- The bed was comfortable.
- The breakfast was unbelievable - best home made EVERYTHING! I kind of want to go back just for the scones.

What would I change?
- Perhaps the sign could be a little bigger as I got lost a couple of times trying to find the place, and the GPS said that it was on the opposite side of the road

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank lindatoth
We're so happy you had a wonderful stay. Next time you must stay longer! Concerning our sign, we would love to have a bigger sign, but since our property is actually in the historic/residential zone district, we are limited to a sign of no more than two square feet - an you can believe that we have used every inch! Hopefully in the future we will attempt to get a variance on the sign size.
Eastern Connecticut
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary weekend. It's a cute little inn. We did get to see most of the rooms, as there was only one other couple staying there at the time. Some of the decor was a little modern for my tastes, especially in such a historic building - but we liked our room ok. The shower was awesome and the bed was really comfortable. The yard is nicely landscaped. The hosts are super-friendly and offered lot of suggestions for walking trails and other activities in the area. Pat is a great cook and we enjoyed our breakfast, although I did wish for more of a selection. After breakfast we enjoyed our coffee outside over the Sunday paper - very quiet and very relaxing. Overall it was a nice place to stay!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2011

My boyfriend an I stayed at this inn just a few days ago and had a great experience. Unfortunately we did not arrive to the Inn until some minutes to 8pm, so we were not able to spend a lot of time in town on our first night. The inn was very well maintained, clean, and beautifully decorated. We stayed in the Winter Solstice room and LOVED IT!!! We were given an opportunity to see the other rooms which were also tastefully decorated and inviting! Wayne and Pat were gracious hosts and very helpful. The dogs Allie and Widget were very friendly although Widget is a barker. His bark is much bigger than his bite. He eventually warmed up. LOL We did not get a chance to sample any breakfast because we often stayed in our room way past breakfast time because we were so comfortable. All in all, it was a great place to stay and if you have a chance to visit, might I suggest going to Plan B for a burger. It was DELICIOUS and they had many vegan and vegetarian options too! I would definitely stay at this inn again.

Room Tip: The Winter Solstice room is the biggest and it opens directly onto a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NJBee
NJ
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We were treated like we lived there. The food was excellent ,wine and cheese a nice touch and art work topped it off. Restaurants were excellent (Bricco and 2Hopewell) rooms were spacious and bed was firm.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glastonbury
Hilton Garden Inn Hartford South/Glastonbury
Hilton Hartford
Hilton Hartford
#2 of 11 in Hartford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,064 reviews

Been to The Connecticut River Valley Inn? Share your experiences!