“A Wonderful Stay”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glastonbury
Butternut Farm Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 Glastonbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was a great and memorable stay!

We were met by our host Don, but not before we were met by a gaggle of geese. This is indeed a farm, tucked away in this quiet little New England town. We saw the many cartons of eggs being prepared for the day's market, and we bought a dozen - delicious!

But anyway, our stay was just perfect. My wife and I stayed in the wing, while our daughter and grandson shared the Barn apartment. All the comforts of home and more, since the entire house, dating back to 1720, is full of antiques and memorabilia. There are many fine restaurants in the area as well.

The breakfast was gourmet, with eggs prepared as I have never had them so good before. And the extra plus was our host Don, who has a wonderful subtle sense of humor that just keeps on coming.

All in all, I recommend Butternut Farm without reservation and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Mac Carter
Cokesbury, NJ

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank nori1
There are newer reviews for Butternut Farm Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed September 7, 2010

I came here with my fiance and had an awesome time. The proprietor was so sweet and took really good care of his guests and animals. I love the farm - there were goats, chickens, geese and 2 cats. The 2 cats are very friendly. Don made a really yummy breakfast with fresh eggs from his farm. He also sold us some of his eggs which were really fresh. I would definitely recommend this b&b if you have a love of antiques and animals!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kraisins
Reviewed April 20, 2009

We stayed at the Butternut Farm B&B recently when in town for a family wedding. You turn from the road into the fenced property and are immediately greeted by chickens and goats. We were lucky enough to arrive shortly after the birth of the newest member of the Butternut Farm goat family - an adorable little lady named Chloe.

We stayed in the barn apartment and were pleasantly suprised at the privacy and the size. The bedroom has a small table with chairs, a canopied full-sized bed and a TV with VCR and DVD capabilities. WARNING: There is no cable - just rabbit ears. The kitchen is a nice size and the bathroom is nothing glamourous, but has plenty of hot water and elbow room. (If you are a fan of larger towels, bring along your own...)

Outside the bedroom sliding doors there is a lovely patio with seating for four. I spent part of my morning there reading and enjoying the dozens of birds in the yard. (As well as the goats and chickens!)

Breakfast was delicious both mornings. Served family style we enjoyed wheat toast with homemade balckberry and peach jams, goat cheeses and sausage omlettes made with Don's Butternut Farm Herb Mixture (DELICIOUS!), homemade goat cheese and fresh (as in that morning) eggs. Delicious coffee, juice and great conversation with our host and fellow guests topped off the meal.

Commenting on some remarks made in other reviews...
The B&B is a farm and there is some clutter, cats and animals. Is it dirty? NO. Just a little dusty and while I was initially put off by this, the charm of the Inn, the friendliness of your host, Don Ried and the wonderful history of the property make a little dust worth overlooking.

Overall, this was a very fun experience and I would recomend staying at the Butternut Farm. (And if you do, say hello to Chloe for me!)

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Seirva
Reviewed November 28, 2007

Based on reviews on both Trip Advisor and B&B websites, I was somewhat hesitant on staying here. I am happy to report that any apprehension I had was unfounded. My wife and I had a delightful getaway stay at the Butternut, albeit too short, as we could only stay for one night. We stayed in the barn apartment, which is much nicer than it sounds. The barn apartment consists of a cozy bedroom (canopied full-size bed), a kitchenette, and bathroom. It is away from the main house and thus is very private and quiet (except for the rooster in the morning!). The wall separating the apartment from the rest of the barn is reportedly one foot thick. The weather was cold the night we stayed; however, the baseboard electric heat was very effective in keeping the room warm. The bathroom is adequately clean; shower has ample hot water. The kitchen, notably the refrigerator, could have been cleaner. I didn't use the kitchen, and I would guess that most guests don't use the kitchen. The owner, Don Reid, is a very friendly host. He is a local legend; you can read all about him on the Butternut Farm website. The circa 1720 house is very well decorated in authentic period antiques. Don has collected well over the years and has lovingly maintained the character of this historic dwelling. Very historic! Breakfast, family style (us and another couple) was served at 8:30 am. Don cooked scrambled eggs with his own herbs and spices, served his homemade goat cheese, and homemade preserves with hearty toast. Yogurt was also available. Don mixes a little bit of cranberry juice in the OJ for a delicious drink. His coffee is very well brewed. The eggs and goat cheese are fresh (that morning fresh) from the chickens and the goats in the barn. Some of the negative reviews centered on the presence of cats and musty/dirty rooms. Yes, we saw one cat in the house; did it jump on the table during breakfast? No. Is the place sterile? No. Is it clean and livable? Yes. Would we would stay again in the barn apartment? Definitely! I recommend this B&B for those who appreciate history and uniqueness, and an overall fun and interesting place to be.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank Keystone_Traveler
Reviewed May 24, 2004

This 1720 house on 2 acre farm was a trip! Host Don Reid has run this for 20+ years. The house is loaded with lots of cool stuff. He is most genial host. Only warnings: If you can't deal with house cats, this is not the place. Same for smokers. Light sleepers would do best in the 3rd floor suite. (TRaffic noise in front of house.). Also, may not be for FIRST TIME B&Bers. But the history is there and we had lots of fun and Don is a real gem. Breakfast is made with eggss so fresh cause they come from the chickens in the barn. And Glastonbury is a nice small historic village.

5  Thank SteveinPhilly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glastonbury
Homewood Suites by Hilton Hartford South-Glastonbury
Hilton Garden Inn Hartford South/Glastonbury
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/East Hartford
Hampton Inn Rocky Hill
Hampton Inn Rocky Hill
#4 of 5 in Rocky Hill
Super 8 Hartford South - Rocky Hill
Comfort Inn Wethersfield - Hartford

Been to Butternut Farm Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!