“First Visit”
Review of Max Fish

Max Fish
Reserve with OpenTable
Max Fish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 88 Restaurants in Glastonbury
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: When you're in the mood for good service and great seafood be sure to check out Max Fish, the newest of the Max Restaurant Groups fine dining establishments. True to the Max Restaurant Groups mission statement, this restaurant embodies an uncompromising commitment to quality service, style and superb cuisine that made the Max Group famous. The menu at Max Fish features a wide array of the finest seafood and raw bar items, made from only the freshest and highest quality ingredients, with something sure to please every member of your group. The Shark Bar at Max Fish also offers a lighter variety of seafood and Max classics in an exciting and up tempo environment. Max Fish is sure to offer you a pleasant and unique dining experience every time you visit. Please stop by soon to see our beautiful new restaurant!
CT
“First Visit”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We frequent Max Amore in the same shopping plaza as Max Fish as well as Max Downtown and Trumbull Kitchen. We have always avoided Max Fish as I am not a seafood either. My wife does enjoy it and I recently had someone tell me that they had a great Filet Mignon there. We showed up on a Thursday night without a reservation and were seated right away. The ambiance and atmosphere were what I would expect from a Max Restaurant Group property. Our server brought out a small plate of picked cucumber slices with seaweed that were tasty. She then came back with rolls, crackers and butter, all very good. The drink menu was excellent with some varied drinks. We are considering going back just to sit at the bar for drinks and apps. We ordered Caipirinhas which were just as tasty as what we drank on a recent visit to Rio.

Again, as I am not a seafood lover, I ordered the Flat Iron Steak rather than the Filet Mignon as it came with mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus. The steak was cooked just the way I ordered it. My wife always has a hard time deciding what to eat and asked our server for her recommendation. One of her suggestions was the Grilled Yellowfin Tuna She ordered it rare and it came out perfect. She says it was one of the best she had had.

Service was good and not hovering. Even the hostess came by to help buss the table. I think we hve found a new restaurant to place into our rotation.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank hedo_traveler

Worcester, United Kingdom
“nice place”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Food was good, had the fresh lobster and it was well cooked and presented. Drinks choice was also good, and the service was attentive without being over the top

Windsor, CT
“Some good but mostly not so good!”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I find that the offerings have become overpriced and small portions. At lunch, we ordered the whole belly clam appetizer. It was lightly breaded and wonderful tasting -- a small portion for the price. We also ordered sea scallops with spatzle, fava beans and porcini beurre blanc. My companion asked for a potato substitute for the spatzle because she has a gluten intolerance. The plates were dropped off briskly and the waitress took off. She never came back to ask if everything was satisfactory. After many attempts to get her attention, a neighboring table was finally able to tell her that we were in need of attention.

The plate without the spatzle had mashed potatoes without any fava beans or mushroom sauce. I like to have lemon with my seafood which I finally was able to request along with the other items missing. We finally received the missing items -- way too late. The luncheon was very frustrating.

The portion of the lunch entree was again small for the price. We are two women with appetites smaller than the average diner. The porcini beurre blanc was not what I would expect. I cook with porcini mushrooms regularly. The flavor is very intense. This appeared to be cremini mushrooms. I did have some sauce on my plate but not one shred of mushroom. My companion let me taste a piece of her mushroom when her fava beans and mushroom sauce finally arrived.

This is definitely not one of my favorite Max restaurants and it will be a long time, if ever, before I return.

On a positive note, I recently dined at Max's Tavern in Springfield. The meal was excellent, very good portion size and the porcini sauce was really made with porcini mushrooms.

• Visited May 2014
Towson, Maryland
“Great Deal on Happy Hour”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

My wife and I went here for a Saturday afternoon Happy Hour. What a good deal this is: wines and happy hour plates were $5 each. She had a nice crisp Pinot Grigio, I had the prosecco, and we shared a plate of 6 oysters. Yummy! Nice atmosphere, very friendly staff. We try to go every time we're in Glastonbury.

western new england
“Not a stellar night”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

My wife and I were to meet another couple at the restaurant. We arrived first and were seated. The general manager sent the other couple away when they arrived as he had already booked the table full on the computer. They later joined us. In retrospect, that was the least of our problems. My wife ordered the soft shell crab, which was a special that evening. It was tough, salty and over breaded. She couldn't eat half of it. I later told the same GM about her meal. He did not offer to take the meal off the bill. He should have. We are Max regulars and spend freely every time we dine there. I had my usual Dover sole and it was as awesome as it always is, but the experience we had will keep me from returning for quite a long time.