“Held out as long as I could..”

Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Farmington
Hackensack, NJ
“Held out as long as I could..”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was a frequent guest at the Homewood Suites in Farmington up until March of 2012. I had refrained from posting a review on this hotel for some time because I liked the people who worked there, but I have always felt that, if I were a traveler looking into this hotel, I would like to know about the challenges you may face.
1st and foremost, before I get into the story, the walls are horribly thin in this hotel. During one of my stays, I had to sleep on the pullout couch in the living room because the guest in the next room was snoring so loud, it sounded like he was laying in the bed with me! But that didn't deter me from continuing to stay there.
My final stay at the Homewood Suites was for 3 nights in March.
I woke up on Tuesday morning with bites all over my arms and back.
I looked at the mattress and the box spring and didn't see any evidence of bugs. So I did not mention it to management.
Then, when I returned back to the hotel on Tuesday evening, my room was not made up. I contacted the front desk and she informed me that it is not typical for this to happen and she brought me some towels, which I appreciated. (no more issues with bites). (I was out of my room by 9am that morning, an acceptable time to allow for the room to be tended to)
Then, on Wednesday, I returned again after work and found a bag hanging on my door handle filled with towels, and again my room was not made up. I took the towels out of the bag and they smelled so strong of smoke, I couldn't even keep them in the room. It was gross! (no issues with bites again). (also, again I was out of my room by 9am that morning)
Then on Thursday, when I returned after work, I sat on the couch and it was full of dog hair and white crusty stains (which I am assuming was dog slobber).
I got off the couch and discovered 5 new bites on my arms. I realized, Monday night I had also spent some time in the living room area. The room, however was finally made up on Thursday.
Friday morning, I got up to shower, and when I got out, the same smelly towels that I left outside the room were now on my shelf in the bathroom (they possibly could have been new towels and not the ones in the hallway, but either way, they still stunk strong of smoke).
II had brought it to the attention of the general manager via email and she was quite attentive, and I respected that about her.
Like I had mentioned, the staff was very accommodating during all of my visits to the hotel. But that's about all this place has going for it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank aimdee
Drew A, General Manager at Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for your response as we appreciate all feedback, positive or negative. As of August 1st, new management has taken over the hotel and although we were not here during your stay in March, we apologize for the condition of your room and the frustrations you experienced with housekeeping . Working at the hotel for almost three months, we have made several changes which include the process in which we clean and inspect our rooms. In the event you need overnight accommodations in the Farmington area again, we hope you are willing to give us a second chance to show the hotels improvement. Again thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback and if you would like to speak with a manager at the property, please do not hesitate to give us a call

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
Northern Virginia
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This could be very good for a multi-night self-catering stay but is very unsuitable for the one-night business stay that I experienced. No ice bucket, no ice machine - you're supposed to use your own mid-size fridge for ice, useless if you get in late. No pens, no notepads, I could go on. Staff aim to please but they can't create what isn't there. No restaurants anywhere around either - this is strictly self-catering.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Drew A, General Manager at Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We apologize that your stay was less than satisfactory but appreciate that you acknowledged that our staff did their best. While we are more suited for those staying longer term, we do try our best to cater to those 1 night stays. If you happen to be back in the area again, we hope you would give us another chance to prove that no matter how long you stay, the Homewood Suites could be a great choice.

Thank you again for your response and if you would like to talk in any more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me.
vermont
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We've been staying at a lot of hotels over the past years, but this one turns out to be the nicest. The location is convenient of I84 just outside of Hartford next to the UCONN medical college...easy to find. The buildings from the outside looked nice and the inside was outstanding - and clean. We got a reasonably priced king size suite for just the one night - but wished that we had time to stay longer. The room really is a two room suite with sofa, large tv and kitchen facilities in one room and a nice separate bedroom with a really big king size bed (extremely comfortable). Everything was clean and neat, carpets clean, sheets and bedding clean, and everything in the kitchen set up for anyone staying longer than a night.
We will be back in the area and will be staying at the Homewood Suites in Farmington again.
ps for the owners.... it looked like a large wedding party had tried to trash the main lobby and restroom areas over the night. too bad that people don't respect other peoples property

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent and very quiet. many have nice views of the courtyard and countryside . a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FloridaorVermont
Avon, Connecticut
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Due to relocating to Connecticut, my family had reservations at Homewood Suites Farmington, CT from 6/13/2012 through 6/27/2012. Upon arrival we found a dirty washcloth left behind in the main bathroom, there was no toilet paper and the comforter on my son's bed had what appeared to be blood stains on it. We had arrived very late after traveling more than 24 hours from Asia, so it seemed like forever waiting for the cleaning staff to bring toilet paper (they did not bring a new comforter, so we removed the comforter from the bed). Being jet-lagged but exhausted, we wanted to sleep quickly but it sounded like people in the room above us were rolling a large brick around the floor and their TV could be heard through the ceiling. This was at 11pm. After finally getting our two kids to sleep and falling asleep myself around midnight, I received a call from the front desk at 3am, requesting me to "keep the noise down". I assured the hotel employee that my family was sleeping soundly (until her call) and that the noise was not coming form my rooms. She suggested that I should check my children to see if they were making noise because the person below us had called to complain. I did check my children (who were both sleeping) and I informed the lady that the noise was probably coming from the floor above me, traveling through two floors to be heard by the person who complained. After all of this, I was wide awake for the remainder of the night.

The cleaning staff never replaced toilet paper themselves. Each time one of the bathrooms would run out, we had to call the front desk. Although the hotel's literature claims "free newspaper daily", I received a newspaper only one day. I inquired with the front desk regarding the newspaper situation and I was told that the hotel's contract with the newspaper company provides only enough newspaper for the average number of filled rooms, so sometimes the newspaper delivery person does not delivery to every room. A minor annoyance, but this indicates the level of thought and service to expect from this hotel. I found mail from one of the previous guests under the bed (obviously the room had not been given much attention by the cleaning staff for a while).

The hotel does offer a free dinner Monday - Thursday, but the "dinner" was terrible. It reminded me of a high school cafeteria -- typical meals: chicken nuggets, macaroni & cheese, rice & peas. I had even spoken with the lady in the kitchen to ask her about the contents of one of the meals the first night because my son has severe food allergies to rice, peas and nuts. She said there were none of these in the meals and, now that she is aware of the situation, she can easily ensure that none of these items are used (which I thought was extremely generous and kind). But two night later the entire meal was rice, peas and (burned) chicken nuggets.

I could go on and on with similar issue but I will end by saying that we cut our stay short by four days. Although our furniture had not yet arrived, we chose to sleep in our new house without furniture rather than spend another night at Homewood Suites, Farmington.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Always-Travel4now
Drew A, General Manager at Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for your response as we appreciate all feedback, positive or negative. As of August 1st, new management as taken over the hotel and although we were not here during your stay in June, I apologize for the lack of cleanliness of your room, the poor service you received from the staff, and your disappointment with the food. Working in the hotel for almost two months, we have made several changes which include the process in which we clean our rooms and the food we serve at breakfast and dinner. In the event you need overnight accommodations in the Farmington area again, we hope you are willing to give us a second chance to show the hotels improvement. Again thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback and if you would like to speak with a manager at the property, please do not hesitate to give us a call.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for a little over a month. I can honestly tell you that the front desk staff made sure I was taken care of. Vanessa and Guytri as well as the overnight staff took care of my concerns. Housekeeping, I was blessed to have Claudia and I can tell you my room was immaculate. Now with that being said she cant take care of the whole hotel so if you dont ask for her then you get a crap shoot with a supervisor Jen? that is unprofessional and nasty. The senior management is non existent. I had to go over their heads to corporate when the noise level from a family reunion was like a live circus up and down the halls. The rooms were spacious the breakfast more continental than anything but the breakfast bags that they give to business people are an awesome touch. I would stay there again because I make it know upfront how I like things run.

Room Tip: The dinners are edible and included they have hot fresh cookies and the grounds are very nice and co...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank NomadIT
Bronx, NY
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My boyfriend and I stood at this hotel for one night and WISHED we had booked it for longer!!! The hotel was amazing! The room we had (King Suite) was huge, clean and very, very affordable. I will DEFINITELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY stay here again!!!

Room Tip: Try to get a suite. It includes a full kitchen, living room with double-doors that lead into the be...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lalocaliz
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I had my md phd interview at the uconn health center in farmington and the program provided us applicants with housing in this hotel. My experience here couldn't have been any better. The rooms were very spacious and clean. the hotel also made sure our driver was on time to take us to and from the uconn health center. Rooms even had a kitchen which was not necessary but also adds to the great package of hospitality that they had to offer. Staff was nice and always willing to help make our stay here relaxing.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank touristguy2005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Courtyard Hartford Farmington
Farmington Inn
Farmington Inn
#4 of 7 in Farmington
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
Avon Old Farms Hotel

Been to Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington? Share your experiences!