“A strange experience . . .”

Hartford Marriott Farmington
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Farmington
Reviewed November 3, 2010

Location was fine and weekend price was great, but there were tradeoffs. My guess is that the hotel caters primarily to business travelers, which is why the weekend rates are so good. But the flip side is that the hotel was enormously quiet on the weekend I was there. With the exception of the wonderful breakfast buffet and staff, I almost felt as if I were intruding by being there. The desk clerk said his appropriate words when I checked in but did not look at me and went back to talking with the other clerk as soon as possible. There was no general-service restaurant open for dinner, only a dim bar/lounge specializing in sushi (an undesirable situation from the point of view of a non-drinking non-sushi-eating book-reading guest), and the waiter was not at all attentive despite there being only a few people in the dining area. Like another reviewer, I had trouble with the bathroom sink drain but was able to fix it, at least temporarily. It was just an odd stay, and not typical of my experiences with this brand.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Chaucerian

Reviewed October 25, 2010

This place was ok. I had to go to a wedding and this was the hotel they listed to stay at. The wedding location was about 20 minutes away. The room was ok. Nothing special. The bed was nice, but after that wedding I really could have slept anywhere. They room had a weird smell to it. The price was great, less than $100. The lobby bar is very nice. I needed to get a cab, and the front desk did a great job of helping me out. Overall this place is good. Again, nothing special, nothing sub-par.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beachbum1004
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I chose this hotel due to its proximity to Lake Compounce, other reviews I read and because it has an indoor and outdoor pool for my twin 7 year old boys. Lake Compounce was closed both days we were there due to the inclement weather but we really enjoyed swimming in the large, clean indoor pool and eating at the hotel's restaurants. Just a short drive away are other attractions such as a mall and museums.

We ended up coming back to this hotel a couple of weeks later when Lake Compounce was open and the front desk staff remembered us and were very hospitable.

Overall a great experience!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2010

In brief--I would recommend this hotel without reservation if it weren't for an overwhelmingly "damp" smell in our room (137). It's not that things were damp, but it just smelled as if it had been high humidity in there for ages.

Everything else is really just great, and their fitness center is the best I've seen in years at a hotel facility. The bedding was incredibly comfy, the bar and lobby areas were elegant, the bar food and service were very, very good. Also--no bedbugs (I checked our mattresses).

Two small quibbles--the room tvs are set up to default to pay-per-view, and you have to go searching for "free" tv. Irritating. Also, the room amenities book was badly outdated (and in fact was water-stained somehow...hey, maybe they had a flood in there?)...somebody had penciled in the "right" channels for the TV w/ an underlined note that it was outdated (and even those corrections are now outdated, what w/ the pay-per-view and all). They also had a torturous description of how to connect your computer via their dial-up along with warnings about long-distance charges. We decided to forgo the $10 wireless fee and relied on our phones (though we only had Verizon reception at the window side of the room.)

Also, the signage for this Marriott is not the best--there's one sign at the top of the road (that runs through a business park) but our GPS directed us to some anonymous office complex and we had to really explore to find the Marriott which is (fyi) the last property on that dead-end road. Just keep driving, you'll find it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2010

It seemed that all of the reviews for hotels in Farmington were a mixed bag so I basically picked this one at random and I was pleasantly surprised. I have stayed at nice hotels like the Four Seasons and have fairly high standards so I did not expect much from this $90 a night hotel, but it was great. It looks recently renovated, nice rooms, bathrooms with stone counter tops, super comfy beds and pillows, plus an indoor and outdoor pool. The only issues I could find: 1) they only had one person working the front desk, so there was some standing in line, and 2) the restaurant at the hotel had a fairly limited menu of generic food (we only ate their once out of convenience - there are many great places to eat within a ten minute drive). Otherwise I would definitely go back for a weekend, hang by the pool and explore some of the local towns.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Travelgirl4489
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Stayed there when attending a wedding this month. The lobby and reception area was nice but the rooms were old and had a musty/mildew smell. We asked to move once due to the smell, and the second room was better but still had an odor. Rates were cheap but would probably not stay there again given a choice.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank abc713
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Typical older style Marriott full-service hotel. While it does not feel quite as up to date as the newer Marriotts, the Marriott name still means consistent standards and delivery. This hotel, located in an office park, is clearly focused on business travelers. Weekend visitors may find pricing quite attractive and yet it is only a short drive to most of Hartford's major venues.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ashley25NorCal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Courtyard Hartford Farmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington
Farmington Inn
Farmington Inn
#5 of 6 in Farmington
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut

Been to Hartford Marriott Farmington? Share your experiences!