“Terrible cell coverage and Internet”

Hartford Marriott Farmington
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Farmington
Montpellier, France
“Terrible cell coverage and Internet”
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I stay in Marriott hotels when I travel, which is at least one week a month. This Marriott was OK, but it is in a pretty rural location. When I first checked into their "E" wing, My T-Mobile cell phone had not only no bars but displayed a circle with a line through it. I had to leave the building and wander around the parking lot before I could place a call. I also have an iPad with Verizon 4G and it too had terrible connectivity issues.
After a day I asked to have my room changed to the very front of the hotel, where reception was still on again off again, but at least I could sometimes make a connection from inside my room.
The wireless Internet here is a total joke. Difficult to remain connected and once connected it was slower than dialing up on a modem.
My co-workers also found that AT&T cell connections were bad at this hotel as well.
It's not the Marriott's fault it's just a bad location for cell service.

Room Tip: Get a room in the front of the hotel if you plan to use your cell phone.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Recently i had a business trip in wider area of Farmington, and have stayed in two different rooms in a 5 days period.
Hotel is located in the middle of the office complex so they probably aim at business travelers mostly. From the outside it has that old style "modern" look. On the inside it looks like it has been regularly updated.

Room:
Upon entering the room first thing i noticed was the slight smell of carpet cleaning solution. Results were visible - carpets were actually very clean. Both rooms i used had a double bed and were quite spacious. First one was on ground level, and second was one level up. First one had a comfortable armchair with extension for legs, but this was missing in the next room.

Coffee from the machine in the room was ok. Room had some kind of multimedia box where you could connect your electronics to get picture and sound from a big TV, but i didn't test it. All the usual gadgets were there. Bathroom was clean, and had complimentary body lotions, shampoo, and mouthwash. Hair dryer was there, but i had to find it first.

Both rooms had a very noisy airconditioning unit! If you are a light sleeper you'll need to turn this thing off and perhaps open a window a little. I could sleep trough anything, and didn't care much about it, but even i have noticed loud noises it made when it was switching on and off.

When i looked closely around the room, i noticed that wallpaper was pealing away in the corners behind curtains. Also handle of the bathtub tap stayed in my hand when i tried to use it, and i had to reattach it back before using it.

WiFi in the room was working but i didn't really stress it with any data-intensive applications so that's all i can tell you: it was working.

Staff:
Staff was great! Very pleasant, very helpful,...
Cleaning lady even collected all my cosmetics that i have scatered accross the bathroom and stacked them neatly on a small towel next to the sink.

Breakfast:
I received complimentary vouchers for "continental breakfast", and when i saw what's offered for breakfast, i realised that i will have to pay extra to upgrade or stay hungry.
When upgraded, breakfast was good. When not upgraded it didn't exist.

On general this place looks like it has been much more luxurious before, and now it could be said that it is a quite decent shadow of it's former glory.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first and second level were ok.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I always check TripAdvisor reviews before booking a hotel. And when I see mostly positive reviews, yet in reality have a bad experience it bothers me. Perhaps all good reviews were posed by management? Or am I living in some alien reality where what's terrible to me is fantastic for others?!

As a Marriott Elite, I 'expect' a full Marriott (vs a Courtyard or Residence Inn) to be a solid 3-4 star hotel. I am realistic and don't expect a Ritz or JW experience but certain standards which if lowered are unacceptable in my opinion.

I got a Saturday night AAA rate of $104 + tax; I arrived at around 2am on Sunday after a long rainy drive from NYC. Free parking was nice and the Jamaican lady at the front desk of this quiet hotel was being really sweet. She checked us in to room 447 and gave us breakfast buffet vouchers for the next morning (Marriott Elite members get breakfast vouchers because the club lounges are usually closed over weekends).

Anyway, the rooms are tiny (and apparently mine was an upgrade to one of their larger rooms), carpet, wallpaper, ceiling paint are ripped, peeling and dirty. Really strong kind of mould smell, bathroom excruciatingly small (literally 'impossible' for 2 people to stand by the mirror together) but an extra effort on the amenities was visible.
Bed very uncomfortable, I would have taken less 3 vs 7 pillows for a little more comfort and the internet was just NOT working!

Breakfast felt like that of a 24 hour diner somewhere deep in the middle of the I-95 but with actually friendly staff who did their job not knowing much better.

Sorry but this was a total motel experience, NEVER a Marriott... I gotta say I'm surprised...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
lincoln ri
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Check in-check out issue after after MULTI ISSUES during stay caused much more stress for this family. Staff were phenomenal but limited within scope of job to fix problems at hand, and there were many! Spoke with front office mgr Dillan at check out, and at length again today after discovering there was a huge overcharge put on my debit visa checking acct card which subsequently wiped out my account, had NO knowledge of these charges, was given a slip at check out, and the difference I discovered at home was doubled. Spent AN HOUR OF MY DAY today conferencing between hotel mgr, and my bank mgr. I AM VERY CLEAR IT WAS NOT A BANK ERROR BUT A HOTEL ONE, add to this all the other issues I had from check in being handled improperly cause I needed to make two forms of payment one for fri, one for sat. most other places allow this and take care of at check out, not here. Was misinformed they surcharge for roomservice, hotel keys not working properly, (never told them because of all the other issues I had) a/c in rm didnt work, and the hallway was super loud all night, then the overcharge today and NOT having access to my money from yesterday at check out thru 2 pm today and having the extra stresses they put on me because of this gliche is TOTALLY UNEXCEPTABLE, So thank you for the very little consideration to all the uncomfortable awkardness of this weekend MADE FOR AN ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE TIME which shouldve been otherwise very enjoyable time...

Room Tip: Dont stay in rm in main hallway off of the lobby
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank melissa d
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 19, 2012

The sign entering the area immediately made me think- it's going to be an old Marriott building. It's a pretty big hotel by Marriott next to the highway standards. You drive all the way into an office complex-until you reach the end and voila there is the Marriott.

We were here for a wedding this past weekend and the staff was very concerned with their guest's experience. I have not experience this kind of attention at a Marriott in a long time. I have to say the staff made our experience a lovely one. Our room was perfect for our needs. The rooms remind me of an older Marriott-that is they are not dated but they were all on the smaller side from what I could tell. Our room had a king size bed in it.and it took up most of the space in the room-but the hot hot shower and bath and body works toiletries made up for the lack of space.

Oh -be sure to plug the iron into the wall socket and not into the computer bar.. you'll short a fuse and have to move the iron across the room.. simple enough to re-set but just a good to know if you have a hot iron, ironing boards and luggage spread through out.

The indoor pool was clean and the temperature perfect. Breakfast was yummy with an omelet station, fresh fruit and enough option to choose from. The options were not over the top but the quality of what was offered was top notch. The beds were super comfortable. The fire was on when we walked around the lobby. There is coffee (pay for) available around the corner and sushi made in the same area in the evenings.

The bar hosted our rowdy St. Patrick's Day wedding after party crowd very well. I'm sure that this hotel has a much different crowd on weekdays given it's location than the wedding goers we were during the weekend. We were the only people in the lounge and bar area on St. Patrick's day night so the location unless there is a wedding or some sort of "event" at the hotel... it is likely to be a pretty quiet place to chill. If you are looking for quiet- you might want to ask if there is anything going on there that weekend.

We were able to sleep with no issues and able to participate as desired with the wedding party peeps. It was a wonderful weekend and although I didn't think much of the hotel itself when I walked in- I left saying- this was a great stay in a nice hotel with a dedicated staff.

Later in the spring or during the summer when their outdoor pool is open I bet that the inner court yard is gorgeous.- I saw some of the rooms had balcony's and if the weather was nice while we were there- I might have asked to see if we could have upgraded to one if the cost wasn't too much. but again, I truly can't say enough about the staff at this location.

Being a family that travels frequently - having a nice, responsive and friendly staff- really made this Marriott stand out from the "rest".

Room Tip: ask for one that has a balcony facing the pool area on a high floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Trumbull, CT
Reviewed February 27, 2012

This hotel is tucked away in an office park. The lobby was quite welcoming with a fire and chairs set-up to read or relax. The hotel staff at check-in was very helpful, polite, and welcoming. Our room was tidy and it had a balcony, which would have been great for warmer months. The room had a musky smell, but otherwise seemed clean. The beds were comfortable. We used the indoor pool and hot tub several times with the kids during our overnight stay and it was a good temperature and clean. The hotel restaurant was not great for dinner, but the buffet in the morning was delicious and totally worth the $15.00. Overall a nice stay. Close to the westfarms mall and less than 15 min. from Hartford XL center.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Erin S
Connecticut
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We stayed at the Farmington CT Marriott for one night on February 18th 2012. Upon check-in the girl at the front desk was extremely friendly and helpful. She acknowledged my Elite status, thanked me for being a member and for choosing Marriott for my stay. This hotel does not have any free internet. However when I asked about the internet I was told there is no free internet but as an Elite Member the hotel would provide a free access code for my stay. I was very pleased with this hotel and the service at this hotel. In the evening there was complimentary hot chocolate and cookies in the lobby. The concierges desk in the lobby is a nice touch. They were helpful and always saying hello and asking if they could be of assistance any time we saw them. We were given a first floor room close to the lobby as per my request. The room was very nice and modern looking. It seemed clean and well maintained. The supplies for coffee are stored in a large box near the desk and was well supplied. The bathroom had plenty of towels and was stocked with shampoo, conditioner, mouth wash and body lotion. We visited the pool many times. The pool area is very clean and also seems well maintained. The pool temperature was perfect for long swims and was nice and warm so it was easy to enjoy for a long period of time. The hot tub is very large approximately 10' in diameter and was warm enough to enjoy without being extremely hot. The buffet breakfast seemed a bit expensive at 15.00 per person but was a good value because of the selection. There was plenty of fresh fruit such as blackberries, grapefruit, strawberries, oranges, cantaloupe etc. In addition to eggs, waffles, bacon, sausage, omelets and hash browns. There is also the usual breakfast pastries, breads, yogurt and bottled water. We also asked for an order of pancakes and one was provided to us at no extra charge. The selections make the cost of the breakfast well worth the expense. This was our first stay at this property and we will definitely be back because of the excellent staff service, quality breakfast and the nice warm pool. I would not hesitate to stay in this resort again.

Room Tip: The breakfast is worth the cost. The staff is very helpful with special requests.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Courtyard Hartford Farmington
Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington
Farmington Inn
Farmington Inn
#4 of 7 in Farmington
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut

Been to Hartford Marriott Farmington? Share your experiences!