“A mixed experience - not good but not bad”

Hartford Marriott Farmington
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Farmington
Audubon, Pennsylvania
“A mixed experience - not good but not bad”
Reviewed October 7, 2011

I booked a business trip late, 2 days before, and I ended you paying over $200 per room for three of us. Paying that much usually provides a great experience unless in the large cities. I expect the pay for the large cities. I was less then impressed with an aging hotel and a foot print that had us in a separated wing. What I found odd, they had rooms in the main building when I figured it out later, too late, two of us were already in our rooms. I told them the third person was coming very late and they offered to put him in the main building. I asked if that had been possible for all of us? The response was yes.... For one night I was not going to move into the main building. So we walked back to the restaurant to get dinner and the service was good. The food was fair and pricing was average for a hotel restaurant. The rooms were good size and again the building was showing age in its elevators, pathways crumbling, carpet slightly worn and dim lighting in the room and in the halls. Staff was very attentive and that was worth some value but not to the level of the price. Many other hotels in the area that can serve the purpose for less and the amenities were not worth the extra.
So it’s not a great experience so far but not to bad either. The next morning I had the need to print and amend some information I was using for a presentation. I went to the business center and logged in. It charges .85 per minute for the PC and .15 per page for printing. OK not to bad but at $200 a night! and charges for the use of a PC for a few minutes?? Really! But there is also a minimum of $5 to get started. I didn’t want to walk to the room, to far, so I paid. And then the printer application locked and I had to start the printing over. $15 for that little change… I guess I am use to the hotels its free and easy to get it done.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We stayed here while attending a wedding. I am meticulous about checking for cleanliness and room smells. The rooms were clean, no malodorous scents, food was great, my asthma was happy! That is what let's me know how clean the rooms are, and my asthma was fine! We did have an event: while sleeping, the fire alarm went off and the room across the hall started flooding into our room. We called the front desk for help and started packing our stuff before our room flooded. The front desk attendant (it was the middle of the night) came with a baggage cart and helped us move rooms. She had the key all ready and rolled up her sleeves to help us. She went above and beyond to make sure we were moved, set and happy! Wow! was totally impressed! We love staying at Marriott properties and this was no exception!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Happy Valley Oregon
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Just stayed here for Business end of August 2011. I come here frequently for business with Pratt & Whitney, located in the same park. This hotel was built primarily to service all of the surrounding business head-quarters in this lush forested business park.

To name a few.. The Hartford insurance, Otis Elevators, Carrier air conditioning & Pratt & Whitney jet engines.
From my past architectural schooling, I can tell this property was built around 1970. They own oodles of property around the complex with walking trails and such and they do keep it up very fairly. Rooms are hit and miss. This last time I was not too pleased. Room was smaller, but oh well it’s just a place to lay my head....right.

They have two pools, one indoor, one outdoor, very nice. Lounge good, fair prices compared to other Marriott’s. Food....Don't get their Pizza, Yikes! Stick with general faire. Last time I came in 2010, the Sushi was actually not bad, which I think is a huge compliment coming from me... a west coast sushi aficionado from Portland.

The Staff is very, very, good. Helpful and good resources for local info like restaurants and such. Kudos to you all!!
One last note, I find it interesting (I just found out) that I can book a King room on their website, cheaper than the special corporate rate I get through my company. WTF???

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Great older property. Rooms were renovated recently. Had a great dinner in the restaurant including sushi! Staff was all friendly and professional. I look forward to returning. Only negative - pool /spa area is showing it's age.

• Stayed September 2011
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The front desk/management staff at this location was EXCEPTIONAL. Truly, they are doing the best they can with a terribly old, worn, smelly, dirty hotel. I arrived late on a business trip and had a couple issues with the first two rooms I was assigned.

There are two wings to the hotel and the "East" side reeks of dampness in the hallways, and the rooms aren't much better. It's been a long time since I've been at a Marriott property that was so unimpressive and dated. Old carpets, bathroom fixtures and furniture in my first room - the dressers, desk and bed were scuffed and beat up and the carpet was filthy. Room #2 was similar, but the 3rd room I was showed to (in another section of the hotel, which smelled better) seemed to have been updated in the last 5-7 years.

The management was excessively apologetic and did all they could to take care of the issues. Sadly, the property just doesn't give them much to work with. I decided on this location vs. downtown based on price, and it simply was not worth it. Seems like once a year I need to have this sort of experience to remember why it is that I lean on TA reviews prior to booking, and that I can't just trust that because it's a Marriott it's a good place to stay. Again - staff = EXCELLENT. Property = icky.

Room Tip: My experience is that the further you are from the pool the better.