“Hurricane Sandy”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Farmington
New York City, New York
“Hurricane Sandy”
Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

We live in the NYC suburbs. We fled to CT after Sandy beat up our neighborhood. We booked they the hotels.com Android app. Boy did we luck out. The rooms were clean and well equipped and very in expensive. If they top sheeted the bed we would have given it 5 stars.

• Stayed October 2012
TomW771, Manager at Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay America Hartford - Farmington. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is "Excellence Every Day, Every Way", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed for two nights. Very quiet, which is so nice. Clean, smells clean, friendly service.

The couch in our room needed a cleaning but other than that i have no complaints.
the laundry/vending room needed a key card to enter which gave me a peace of mind when washing our clothes. the "breakfast to go" was good, muffins, granola bars, coffee, hot chocolate, and fruits.

HOWEVER, be aware of the front entrance. they have beautiful landscaping and amazing grass but when walking into the front they have millions of bees buzzing around in the flowers. So if you are allergic or scared drive around back and enter through those doors, which takes you to the same as if entering through the front!

its off the highway so there isnt to much around that quick to drive too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TomW771, Manager at Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington, responded to this review, November 6, 2012

Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We had a very nice check in.
The room was large and clean.
The beds were comfortable and the room temp was great.
The kitchen was great.

But, we were on the first floor and when I was trying to sleep, the person upstairs was walking aroundk, and it could be heard. Other than that, nice stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TomW771, Manager at Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at our hotel. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you, and I am so happy to know that you found your room to be so clean and comfortable. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is "Excellence Every Day, Every Way", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.

It would, of course, be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future. I am sorry that you were disturbed during this visit, and I promise you that we will do everything possible to minimize any noise issues you may experience the next time you stay with us. Thank you once again, and feel free to reach out to us directly if we can assist you in any of your future travels.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I usually stay in an Extended Stay Deluxe while on vacation. I find it convenient to have a full kitchen at my disposal. I have always been satisfied with the chain, but this is the exception! One or two unsatisfactory incidents at a hotel is understandable but it felt like a slew of them. I have never made a negative review for any hotel, so this is a first for me!

First off, checking in, the woman behind the counter seemed very accommodating to the customer in front of my party but was not so to us. I have recently joined AAA. I had my card with me and asked her if there was anyway she could adjust the rate to reflect the AAA discount. She said no, because it cannot be overridden since the room was booked online (through their site mind you). OK, I thought, they can't adjust their own rates? I found that to be a bit strange but, what was I going to do? I was also given another customer's receipt which I had to return to the front desk.

We just drove 16 hours straight, I just wanted to recuperate. Upon entering the room it was very musty. Not a great thing to walk into for people with allergies. We stayed in a room with a sofa bed and two double beds. I booked this room thinking it would give us the maximum amount of space. Not so. The sofa was placed at one end of of a bed so the amount of space left in between made it nearly impossible to use.

Nevertheless, we all were getting settled in and the phone rings. It's the front desk asking if the room was to our liking. I replied, yes. I just wanted to get off of the phone and rest. But then she said, “Can I ask you a question?” I said, yes...there was a long pause, “Why are you here?” WHAT??? I thought. It's not like we were having a delightful, chit chat at the front desk before checking in, etc. She literally called me to ask what we were doing there. I was taken back. I did answer her question to ease her troubled mind...but it felt very accusatory. We were in town for a music festival. And yes, we probably don't look like the standard corporate guests they are normally accustom too, but a customer is a customer, correct? We still paid the same as everyone else that stayed in their “lovely” establishment.

To top things off, as we were leaving to go to the first night of the festival, we walked past the front desk and heard them saying, “Oh yes, I can adjust your rate for you.”

When we came back that evening it was after-hours and the interior lobby doors were locked (understandable for safety reasons). We were unaware that we had to use our key card to get in. We obviously needed to be more perceptive but the woman at the front desk was not very helpful either. She just stared at us trying to open the door as if we were trying to break-in rather than let us know. After what seem to be a minute, she finally yelled, what room are you in, we told her and she buzzed us in.

We tried to get some sleep, two of us had allergy attacks attributed to the musty room. Sleep did not come easy that night.

When we came back that evening and tried to sleep, two of us had allergy attacks attributed to the musty room. Sleep did not come easy that night.

Their “workout” room was small but beggars can't be choosers. A treadmill is good enough, but they had no wipes to wipe down the equipment before and after use. I did the best I could with the dry towels they provided.

We decided to check out early and forgo the 6 hours of sleep and just drive the 16 hours home. That evening we get a call from their front desk asking if we are still checking out tomorrow. I have never had that before, normally they slip the bill under the door, etc, no calls, but maybe that's how they do things there. I told him, actually we are checking out in an hour. He sounded dumbfounded. When we went to the desk to check out, he asked us the room number and then said, “Well I've never checked anyone out before so I guess you're fine.” GUESS WE'RE FINE??? So there is no training for the front desk? Very reassuring.

I have seen the manager's responses for any negative reviews on Trip Advisor, the standard, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, “Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better.” So I can anticipate there will be no changes made.

If you're “business oriented”, need a single-bed room, don't have allergies and don't need a clean treadmill, this may be the place for you. Otherwise I suggest keep looking.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
TomW771, Manager at Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay Deluxe Hartford - Farmington. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.
As this hotel’s manager, I challenge our staff to continually improve the experience of our guests, from the cleanliness of our rooms, to the courteous professionalism of our staff. Unfortunately, in your situation, between the issues with our evening staff, and the mustiness of your room, it is clear that we were unsuccessful in achieving these goals. Given our belief that guests like you are our most valuable asset, this failure is particularly troubling.
Please let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future.
Reviewed August 18, 2012

After staying there numerous times the entire staff is always on top of their game very helpful and always with a smile. The rooms are always immaculate the grounds well kept plus the location so close to highway is perfect when u pull in though you feel like your miles away from all that because of the setting ex stay Farmington is one of my favorites

• Stayed August 2012
TomW771, Manager at Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
I would like to thank you for your continued loyalty to Extended Stay Deluxe Hartford – Farmington, and for taking the time to review your latest experience at our hotel. Your kind words about our service, as well as the cleanliness of our hotel, mean a great deal to all of us. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we have been able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.
Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we look forward to your next visit. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays here or at any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) location.
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed here for 3 weeks recently on a business trip. Location is very beautiful and suburban close to the large and serene Batterson Park pond. Area is very quiet in spite of being close to a busy freeway.

Access to the neighborhood is excellent through I-84. There are limited stores nearby, Aldi being the closest at about 1.5 miles for groceries along with Subway and Dunkin Donuts. However shopping areas in Farmington and New Britain are within a few minutes of drive. West Farms mall is about 5 mins drive and is an excellent place to hang around and shop.

Rooms are quite clean with decent amenities. In house coin laundry, a small gym with a couple of treadmills/cycles and spacious parking are good aspects. Breakfast is quite limited with a choice of three coffees, muffin, bagel and apple. Coffee is pretty good. There is free wifi even though it is terribly speed limited at about 400 kbps max.

Cable channels are the usual stuff with no serious movie options other than Sho+ channels and Hallmark. TV is a 37" (?) LCD from LG. Has decent connectivity options even though it cant play video files through USB.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Vasudevan M
TomW771, Manager at Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you very much for your review of Extended Stay Deluxe Hartford - Farmington. I am happy to know that you found our hotel to be so convenient, and especially happy to read your comments regarding the cleanliness of the facility. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We were among the first in the industry to identify a need for a fully functional hotel suite, complete with range top and full refrigerator. We know that this offering is compelling because of the continued compliments we receive from guests like you.
Shelton, Connecticut
Reviewed August 6, 2012

The hotel is conveniently located off of 1-84. When we got up to our room we looked around a big. Everything appeared to be nice and clean, from the kitchen to the bathroom. Im not sure how old the hotel is, but the room that my partner and i had, was very well up kept, clean, and provided a pleasant experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TomW771, Manager at Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to review your stay at Extended Stay Deluxe Hartford - Farmington. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Farmington Inn
Farmington Inn
#4 of 7 in Farmington
Courtyard Hartford Farmington
Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington
Red Roof Inn Hartford - New Britain
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut

Been to Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington? Share your experiences!