“Not Marriott Standards”

Courtyard Hartford Farmington
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Farmington
“Not Marriott Standards”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The location was perfect for our teenage sons baseball tournament at CCSU. The staff was courteous yet very over worked and the hotel was understaffed for a very busy weekend in June. For example, the one person working the Sunday breakfast, made omlets, bussed tables, and rang up checks. When asked about this he said he stepped up to help out but was actually the manger of housekeeping. This hotel did not live up to the standards of the Marriotts we are used too. We were disappointed with the cleanliness of our room and the bathroom door lock was completely broken. It was the second room they put us in so we didn't complain. The first one was a handicapped room on the first floor between the pool, elevators, staircase and exit. Oh and the air conditioning transformers were out the window!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Richard P, General Manager at Courtyard Hartford Farmington, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Mamalovestravel,

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. I apologize for the multiple issues you encountered that resulted in your disappointment with your stay. As a loyal Marriott customer, I’m disappointed we didn’t meet and exceed your expectations. I have shared this information with the leadership team at our daily meeting. I would love to have the opportunity to further discuss your stay and set up a return visit so we have the opportunity to provide you with the level of service and accommodations that you have come to expect as a loyal Marriott customer.

860-521-7100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Tucson
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Hotel appears new, well furnished, easy to get to from the freeway, GREAT staff, but I just don't get why chains are going "on the cheap" when building their sites. I would recommend staying on the top floor. Inevitably I seem to end up below a guest who needs to do aerobics, or move furniture at 2:00 am. Why get a hotel room to move furniture for an hour? Maybe I don't understand today's travelers. None the less, I called the desk to ask if I could move up for my second night. Can't go back to sleep now some two hours later, so my advice is shoot for the top floor if you want to sleep during the night's stay. Otherwise a nice property at a good rate.

Room Tip: TOP FLOOR. Marriott got the cheap 3/8ths plywood for this one.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank OnTheRoadAgnn
London, England
Reviewed June 14, 2013

It's a shame when a brand doesn't live up to its promise.

In this case, Marriott, well known for its "no smoking" policy, fails. And that failure ultimately hurts Marriott because, in our case, an otherwise good weekend experience was entirely overshadowed by cigarette and "other" smoke from several guest rooms constantly in the air on our floor and unavoidably vented into other guest rooms. For those of us unlucky enough to be sensitive to smoke, that makes for a miserable experience. We'll come back to that.

First, the good: Good location near good amenities, the hotel is in reasonable condition with comfortable furnishings and, importantly, one of the more comfortable beds we have found in these past few months of travel.

Apart from our checkout experience, the front desk staff were excellent to work with, genuinely engaged and genuinely responsive. The lady who managed the lobby bar was outstanding in her efforts to assist us to organise dinners to be delivered by local restaurants. She is a winner.

Lobby amenities are better than we expected at a Courtyard, and, all in all, there is much to commend this hotel. BUT...

Despite all this, we are left with an extremely negative experience because of the pervasive nature of the smoke from the various guest rooms. We found the hotel response to be lacking both with regard to the cigarette smoke and the "other" smoke. Spray scent over-sprayed in the halls only adds to the problem. Not our idea of a proper response.

On checkout, when we received the familiar "how was your stay" question, we raised the smoking issue and were met only with "sorry about that." Not a great way to say goodbye to a guest.

The verdict? an otherwise lovely and enjoyable hotel experience significantly marred by a fundamental issue. If you are going to be and advertise "Non-smoking" you must actively promote the promise and deal decisively with offenders.

Room Tip: Definitely a high floor, away from very noisy ice machine and elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Doctor-and-Lawyer
Richard P, General Manager at Courtyard Hartford Farmington, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Doctor and Lawyer,

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. I apologize that we didn’t exceed your expectations on all facets of your stay. I will share you feedback with the leadership team at our next staff meeting.
I would like to have the opportunity to speak with you personally to review and resolve the issues you encountered to your satisfaction.

860-521-7100
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Came in town for a college graduation at Wesleyan (which is right down the road). Could not have picked a better location and hotel. It was exceptional from the staff to the room to the location. It couldn't be beat. I would definitely recommend anyone coming to Hartford for business or college graduations to take a serious look at this hotel. Very clean and super location. We had issues with the cooler in our room and the staff had it fixed pronto. One of the best in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Richard P, General Manager at Courtyard Hartford Farmington, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Skip W,

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. I’m glad our hotel was able to help you enjoy attending such a special occasion as a graduation. Please come back and see us again if you are in the area, we’d love to have you back.

Oswego, New York, United States
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The hotel was clean. Equipment up to date. The staff was very help full. My room was on the first floor near the stairs and the exit door. The hotel has very heavy doors that tend to close with a loud noise. My only issue was the last room to be rented should be on the first floor by the stairway and exit door. On prom night people went in and out ALL night!

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Richard P, General Manager at Courtyard Hartford Farmington, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear OnOurTwoWheels,

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay. I very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I have taken note to your feedback regarding the doors on the first floor. I hope if you are in the area again you will be our guest. We would be delighted to serve you again

Syracuse, New York
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This place is close to restaurants, shopping. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful, breakfast is perfect, they can make most anything.
Very good exercise room. Small bar with limited selection but OK. Felt safe staying in this location.
I would stay here again when I travel to the this area again.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from elevator.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed here with my family...Andy the night manager is amazing!!! Very helpful...very friendly..took care of some roudiness from an adjoining room for us immediately....staff was so friendly and helpful..highly recommended

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank stillen
Richard P, General Manager at Courtyard Hartford Farmington, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Stillen,

I want to thank you for choosing our hotel and taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. I’m very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I plan to share your comments at our daily team huddle. Thank you again and come back and see us soon.

Richard Pennyman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
West Hartford Inn
West Hartford Inn
#1 of 2 in West Hartford
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut

Been to Courtyard Hartford Farmington? Share your experiences!