“Squeaky floor didn't get the grease”

Courtyard Hartford Farmington
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Farmington
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Hotel appears new, well furnished, easy to get to from the freeway, GREAT staff, but I just don't get why chains are going "on the cheap" when building their sites. I would recommend staying on the top floor. Inevitably I seem to end up below a guest who needs to do aerobics, or move furniture at 2:00 am. Why get a hotel room to move furniture for an hour? Maybe I don't understand today's travelers. None the less, I called the desk to ask if I could move up for my second night. Can't go back to sleep now some two hours later, so my advice is shoot for the top floor if you want to sleep during the night's stay. Otherwise a nice property at a good rate.

Room Tip: TOP FLOOR. Marriott got the cheap 3/8ths plywood for this one.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank OnTheRoadAgnn
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Hartford Farmington

Reviewed June 14, 2013

It's a shame when a brand doesn't live up to its promise.

In this case, Marriott, well known for its "no smoking" policy, fails. And that failure ultimately hurts Marriott because, in our case, an otherwise good weekend experience was entirely overshadowed by cigarette and "other" smoke from several guest rooms constantly in the air on our floor and unavoidably vented into other guest rooms. For those of us unlucky enough to be sensitive to smoke, that makes for a miserable experience. We'll come back to that.

First, the good: Good location near good amenities, the hotel is in reasonable condition with comfortable furnishings and, importantly, one of the more comfortable beds we have found in these past few months of travel.

Apart from our checkout experience, the front desk staff were excellent to work with, genuinely engaged and genuinely responsive. The lady who managed the lobby bar was outstanding in her efforts to assist us to organise dinners to be delivered by local restaurants. She is a winner.

Lobby amenities are better than we expected at a Courtyard, and, all in all, there is much to commend this hotel. BUT...

Despite all this, we are left with an extremely negative experience because of the pervasive nature of the smoke from the various guest rooms. We found the hotel response to be lacking both with regard to the cigarette smoke and the "other" smoke. Spray scent over-sprayed in the halls only adds to the problem. Not our idea of a proper response.

On checkout, when we received the familiar "how was your stay" question, we raised the smoking issue and were met only with "sorry about that." Not a great way to say goodbye to a guest.

The verdict? an otherwise lovely and enjoyable hotel experience significantly marred by a fundamental issue. If you are going to be and advertise "Non-smoking" you must actively promote the promise and deal decisively with offenders.

Room Tip: Definitely a high floor, away from very noisy ice machine and elevator.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Doctor-and-Lawyer
Richard P, General Manager at Courtyard Hartford Farmington, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Doctor and Lawyer,

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. I apologize that we didn’t exceed your expectations on all facets of your stay. I will share you feedback with the leadership team at our next staff meeting.
I would like to have the opportunity to speak with you personally to review and resolve the issues you encountered to your satisfaction.

860-521-7100

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Came in town for a college graduation at Wesleyan (which is right down the road). Could not have picked a better location and hotel. It was exceptional from the staff to the room to the location. It couldn't be beat. I would definitely recommend anyone coming to Hartford for business or college graduations to take a serious look at this hotel. Very clean and super location. We had issues with the cooler in our room and the staff had it fixed pronto. One of the best in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Richard P, General Manager at Courtyard Hartford Farmington, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Skip W,

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. I’m glad our hotel was able to help you enjoy attending such a special occasion as a graduation. Please come back and see us again if you are in the area, we’d love to have you back.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

The hotel was clean. Equipment up to date. The staff was very help full. My room was on the first floor near the stairs and the exit door. The hotel has very heavy doors that tend to close with a loud noise. My only issue was the last room to be rented should be on the first floor by the stairway and exit door. On prom night people went in and out ALL night!

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Richard P, General Manager at Courtyard Hartford Farmington, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear OnOurTwoWheels,

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay. I very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I have taken note to your feedback regarding the doors on the first floor. I hope if you are in the area again you will be our guest. We would be delighted to serve you again

Reviewed April 17, 2013

This place is close to restaurants, shopping. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful, breakfast is perfect, they can make most anything.
Very good exercise room. Small bar with limited selection but OK. Felt safe staying in this location.
I would stay here again when I travel to the this area again.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed here with my family...Andy the night manager is amazing!!! Very helpful...very friendly..took care of some roudiness from an adjoining room for us immediately....staff was so friendly and helpful..highly recommended

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank stillen
Richard P, General Manager at Courtyard Hartford Farmington, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Stillen,

I want to thank you for choosing our hotel and taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. I’m very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I plan to share your comments at our daily team huddle. Thank you again and come back and see us soon.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel. We were in town for a cheerleading event at the convention center in Hartford. The hotel was clean and the rooms were nice...2 staff members, however, made our stay excellent! Andrew-the ops mgr on friday and sat night went above and beyond our expectations. He went out of his way to make 20+ people in our group feel welcome. Cassidy was also a gem...she greeted us with a smile every time she saw us and was so pleasant. Our kids loved both Andrew and Cassidy and loved spending time with them...they treated the kids with respect, which tugged at my heartstrings! These 2 exceptional staff members made our stay incredible! Hope to be back in the future!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Jill D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. I know you have a lot of choices for hotels and I’m glad you chose us to accommodate you and your family. I’m delighted to hear our staff was able to really impact your stay and make it enjoyable. I will share your feedback at our daily meeting with our team. I hope you had success at your event and will come back to see us again when you are in the area.

Richard Pennyman

Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington
Farmington Inn
Farmington Inn
#5 of 6 in Farmington
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
Avon Old Farms Hotel

Been to Courtyard Hartford Farmington? Share your experiences!