“Very nice staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Stonewell Restaurant - CLOSED

The Stonewell Restaurant
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: When you are craving something delicious, stop by The Stonewell Restaurant for the best tasting American-Mediterranean cuisine in the area!
Acushnet, MA
“Very nice staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We wanted to like this restaurant, and most of our large party did. It was old and outdated, which was ok--we had picked this place in spite of previous reviews to that effect. The food for our large party ranged from terrible to rave reviews. I reviewed this restaurant because I specifically liked the staff. Very nice, caring people, who did their best to resolve problems and see that everyone was happy. I want to see their restaurant survive, but I'm afraid it won't if everyone has our experience.

Thomaston, Connecticut
“Terrible Expensive food -Poor Decor- Poor service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Tried this place for the first time on a Friday night in May. Typically Friday nights in good restaurants are crowded and reservations needed. However we found the opposite to be true.

Decor - The outside facade was messy, grass not mowed, and cheap Cristmas lights were visible all ove the place but not lit (thank God). Carepting was worn as were the poorly decorated interior. Food was in the corners and the chairs had a tacky feel. Some rope held up a fake trestle wall and the place was dirty overall. Windows didn't look like they had been washed for years. The "art work" was all over the place and the large horrible paitings were sprayed with food prticals or some licquid spots. Looking back, we should have left regardless of the $50 coupon we had. That's how horrible this place was.

Entertainment - A nice old guy "played" a piano of the same half-tunes. Although we tipped him, I think he should have not been there.

Appetizer - Ordered clams casino and stuffed mushrooms. We got mushrooms with gads of creamcheese and ritz crackers. We got fairly decent clams, however. They were not worth the $9 each. Our sever did not have a clue as to ingredients or what the signature dishes were. In fact she brought our french onion soup ($4.50) at the same time as our appetizers. We sent the soup back.

Soup - After we finished our appetizers we asked for the soup. It was disgusting. There were so many onions and mushy bread that my spoon stood up by itself. I personally make this soup and found the Stonewell version disgusting.

Entree - My wife and I ordered the stuffed lobster. We were told it was a big seller and the stuffing was filled with seafood. What we got was a boiled lobster that was placed under the broiler. The carcas was watery and the meat tough. The stuffing covered about one inch and seemed soely made up of crackers and nothing else. It was tasteless. What stuffing there was did not cover the tail which was dry and stringy. NOT worth the $24.

Dessert - We quickly paid the bill and left. We were grateful we had a $50 off coupon from a $91 bill. The one glass of white zin we each had cost $8.00 each and was probably poured from a box.

Bottom Line - DO NOT WAST YOUR TIME OR MONEY. We should have figured something was amiss when there were less than a dozen patrons for a Friday night dinner service.

1 Thank RickyCruise
Farmington, Connecticut
“Great for ordinary food just keep it simple”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

This was never one of our favorite restaurants but it is in our neighborhood and we have learned to order just simple ordinary food and we are not disappointed. When we made the mistake to try more gourmet style food it turned out to be a disaster. After an afternoon of yard work we were too tired to travel far so we thought of this neighborhood restaurant. I was annoyed that there were no tablecloths on the bare wood table and had to remind myself to think simple. I ordered roast turkey and the wife shrimp with linguini. We were given a very wonderful salad and a small plate of delicious beans gratis. The coffee was my favorite Baronett brand. The service could not have been better and there was so much food we each took a portion home for lunch tomorrow. All in all it was a good no very good but not greAt experience. One other item that I requested was a baked potato which is often not available in many restaurants. Rhaiana, our server, could not have been more gracious. We will return again. My tip is keep your order simple and order basic food and you will not be disappointed.

Bristol
“Nice atmosphere, mediocre meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

We hadn't been to the Stonewell in many years but gave it a try for dinner last weekend. My husband ordered the pork tenderloin which he enjoyed, but the Veal Jerusalem that I ordered was quite bad. The veal was so rubbery and sinewy that less than half was edible, and the sauce tasted like cheap gravy out of a jar. Very disappointing, but we did like the atmosphere and the staff were very friendly. Maybe we'll try it again but probably not without a Groupon.

• Visited March 2013
Canaan, Connecticut
“A wonderful experience :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

We decided to forget about these reviews and take a chance for our 35th Anniversary. We felt that even if things were not great we had each other and as long as we were together that is all that mattered.
Wow were we surprised when the place looked great and the food was so delicious that we could not understand the bad reviews. Everything was piping hot and excellent in flavor and appearance. The only thing we could think of for the bad reviews we read was that perhaps competitors were on here trying to take away business. Our waitress, Heather, was as nice as nice could be. We would highly recommend this place.

• Visited February 2013