“An Excellent Choice for Off-Peak Dining” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ann Howard Apricots

Ann Howard Apricots
Ranked #10 of 72 Restaurants in Farmington
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Constant Traveller
“An Excellent Choice for Off-Peak Dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

My visit to Apricots was in October 2013; I've been to this restaurant a dozen times or more and always enjoy it. Its in an old wood-framed building adjacent to the Farmington River, and the setting is absolutely charming. I highly recommend visiting during daylight hours so you can enjoy the view; during warmer months they have a tent next to the river for drinks and dining, and that's the best seat in town when the weather is nice.

Several other reviewers have mentioned the parking lot, and they are exactly right -- footing can be tricky and walks can be long, so diners who are shaky on their shanks should be dropped at the door. But I don't want to exaggerate this; for people with average mobility the access and parking is just fine.

There is a bar on the main floor which is a bit cramped but cordial -- service is good, the pours are generous and the staff is friendly. If I lived in Farmington, I'd probably hang out there frequently.

The main dining room is up a flight of stairs, to offer a better view of the river. There were eight of us in the party on this last visit, and the restaurant was not busy so our service was excellent (I've had the slow service here during busy weekends, and it's frustrating.) The steaks were very good; I enjoyed the duck which was light and crispy; the escargot was superb. The dining room was pretty; the table was gracefully decorated; our waiter was Johnny-on-the-spot with drinks and water; it really was practically perfect.

Of course, such perfection comes at a price; dinner for eight touched the $600 range. But, when combined with such a rare location and gracious service I think its a good value.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“Insulted by host - walked out”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

A couple of us showed up herein a Thursday night after attending a meeting nearby. The host wanted to seat us outside with the younger, more "trendy" college crowd. Perhaps because we're young (late 20's and early 30's). What the host didn't know was that we were all professionals who we're looking to have a good meal after business meetings all day. Finally, we were seated inside. The waitress made an effort to not come to our table for 20 minutes, even though there were only 4 other tables. Finally, one of our guests (who's the CFO of a large company in CT) suggested that we leave.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank L10016
ct
“Just ok!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stopped in for late lunch. Outside deck was dirty and smelled horrible so we chose bar area. We had the lobster rolls which were unexceptional and followed with delicious dessert. Looks like a local watering hole for happy hour. We wanted to check out the pub food as a prequel to dining upstairs. Unfortunately it looks like a repeat is not in our future. The setting by the river is beautiful, but the building looks somewhat run down.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank SSGCt
Portland, Connecticut
“Perfect birthday dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I dined here on a Saturday night last month. There was a long wait for a table outside on the river so we instead took a table on the patio porch that is attached to the restaurant. We had a very sweet waitress who was always attentive and made sure our drinks were full. We started with calamari, which has always been great, my mom has been dining at apricots forever and she's always raved about their calamari, it really is THAT good. It's served with a wasabi aioli which compliments the salty crispyness. I had my favorite spinach salad, which included goat cheese & strawberries, and I added grilled salmon. I had bread pudding for dessert, which was ok but definitely wasn't hot which would be my only complaint. Overall great dinner. Would definitely return.

• Visited August 2013
Portland, Oregon
“Repeat visit four months later - still good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

Visited Apricots on a Tuesday evening in September. It was four months ago that we came here for dinner twice while in the area on business. Upstairs was filled with a special party of 70 people so the parking lot was full of cars. We found a place to park and were seated in the parlor downstairs right away even though we did not have reservations. The bar was busy and the parlor varied with about 2/3rds full most of the time we were there. When we arrived there were still folks enjoying dinner outside.

We had to wait a while to order. But the sun coming in the window felt warm and the view, even from the downstairs parlor, was peaceful looking up the river in the sunset.

I am gluten free and after some discussion with the waitress who checked with the kitchen I ordered a scallop dish for dinner off of the regular menu. It included four huge scallops with risotto mixed with corn, crab and with baby arugula and a nice sauce. I don't think the sauce was as tasty as the preparation I had back in May, but it was good anyway. I would have liked it more flavorful. My husband had one of the specials which was large squiggle spiral pasta with shrimp and fava beans and a chorizo sausage on top. He really liked it and said it was tasty.

We started with a green salad. This was very good with the tasty house dressing until I ran into a waded piece of saran wrap tucked in. When the plate was picked up I pointed it out and the server indicated that she would be telling the kitchen.

We had Chateau St.Michelle Riesling to go with our meals.

To top it off we had dessert. I had the warm chocolate cake which is flourless and gluten free, It had vanilla ice cream on the side. Very delicious and enjoyable to eat. I had camomile tea to accompany.

My husband had the LUST for dessert. This is a coconut cream pie which he had before back in May. He said it was very good but not exceptional. He had coffee with his dessert.

The service was good. The employees were constantly on the move taking care of the restaurant patrons. I noticed that many of the servers and other employees were people that were working there back in May. I think that says something when the restaurant does not have a big turnover of employees. Two of the waiters are older gentlemen who run up and down the stairs all evening while taking care of the upstairs patrons. They were there last May.

I recommend reservations because you never know when they might be very busy including on a Tuesday evening.

I think this restaurant is very good and worth a visit for sure.

• Visited September 2013