“Good Food, Fantastic Location, Unfortunate Service”

Ann Howard Apricots
Ranked #11 of 74 Restaurants in Farmington
Cuisines: American
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic
Baltimore, Maryland
“Good Food, Fantastic Location, Unfortunate Service”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have been to Apricots before and liked it enough to bring my mother here for our special "last night of vacation" dinner. The food was good and the ambiance was terrific. We were...encouraged strongly to get appetizers, but decided against due to a late lunch. The waitress, who never introduced herself, soured immediately. She took our order and, once again, strongly urged my mother to order more than she wanted while I ordered an entree. We got our food from a runner who was very pleasant, but the waitress never returned. Mom asked another waitress, who was willing to be helpful, for a glass of wine and I asked for cocktail sauce. We ordered a dessert to share. After paying, my mother kindly suggested that maybe someone should remove the dried bird droppings that were on a railing right next to the table. Our waitress replied, "That's the risk you take when dining outside." Such a shame for such a nice restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Hollyday B

Holden, Massachusetts
“Perfect summer evening”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Three friends and I arrived for an early dinner on a Tuesday. We were able to eat outside overlooking the river. The weather was perfect, the service was very good.. We ordered the lobster spring rolls and crab cake to share. Both were very good but I thought the crab cake was better.. I am always hesitant to order crab cakes since often they seem to have more breadcrumbs than crab in them, but this one was delicious.We did not realize there was happy hour free cheese and crackers and a pasta dish. When we saw some people coming to their tables with little plates we asked and were told. It would have been nice if we had been made aware of this. The martinis were very good and the prices and quantities of the glasses of wine seemed quite reasonable.One of us ordered the North Atlantic salmon, one the tilapia and two of us ordered the "Frenched" chicken which had small gnocchi and mushrooms in a seasoned brown sauce. We all enjoyed our meals. I found the sauce for the chicken to be a bit too salty even though I like salt, but my friend really enjoyed hers. We shared tiramisu which I thought was about the best I had ever had except for the one I had in a villa in Italy where our cook prepared her version.

• Visited August 2013
CT
“great outdoor setting and fine food”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

we sat near the river for lunch. kayakers going by and a flock of Canadian geese made the river a point of interest. The food was good, salads crisp and fresh, reuben sandwich was like the original, not all glammed up with extras so we loved it. The portabella sandwich was a favorite. free refills on iced tea. Service was fine, not exceptional.

• Visited July 2013
“"Dining by the River is Great"”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have been there many times and sometimes the food is outstanding and other times just ok, I think it depends on the chef. The bartenders are always friendly and there are many regulars who you can strike up a good conversation with to pass away the time. The patio is wonderful and many times you can see local wildlife floating by as you dine.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank PTTraveler101
“Usually excellent”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I've been to Apricots several times and have always looked forward to going again. I had lunch there recently and was disappointed in my lunch choice. I had the chicken salad on a croissant.
The chicken salad was just chicken, mayo and celery. I would have expected some kind of nuts and cranberries or some other fruit. It was very ordinary and bland tasting. I'll get the strawberry goat cheese salad again next time.

• Visited June 2013