“What a let down”

Cugino's Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 74 Restaurants in Farmington
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: C ugino's of Farmington is the perfect place for a business lunch or for meeting friends after work for happy hour or dinner. While we continue to offer many acclaimed favorites, the seasonality of produce along with the influences from the Mediterranean and Adriatic coasts inspire every dish. The menu features many popular selections, seasonal dishes and daily specials. Northern Italian Cuisine ~ Upscale Casual Ambiance ~ Great Food ~ Excellent Service
Reviewed August 30, 2012

If you prefer your food served cold, appreciate lousy service and are looking for over priced & uninspired Italian cuisine then this is just the place you've been searching for. If not, keep on driving.

3  Thank Chris M

Reviewed August 20, 2012

My dinner was very good. I liked the antipasto appetizer, the sauce is very tasty. The owner came out to greet us, which made us feel very welcome.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Restauant has a nice interior, wine displayed in cases all over, makes you want some, but you have to ask for the wine menu. We went for our anniversary. Hostess ... just doing her job, not welcoming. Its pricey - a glass of house wine is about $9. Service was not very friendly, not bad, just not great. Menu items are about $20 for pasta dishes and about $25 ish for meat dishes, veal etc. Most (maybe many) items have sausage. Ok onto the food. Bread was good, it comes with a "dipping sauce" - which is sort of the consistency of cold thick tomato sauce and spices - maybe more like a tapenade with just tomatoes. It was surprisingly good, and different. Ok Meat dishes, like veal come with EITHER a salad or pasta. Huh? how are these related? I wanted pasta and salad so went for the $20 Mr. Frank Sciliano dish... advertized as chicken with broccoli, sausuage and pasta in pesto. My wife Veal Naopli (no pasta). Salads are sort of like the, well ARE, the bagged iceberg lettuce you get at the supermarket. Carrots are a little too perfectly shredded. The salad was very sparse on the plate- small salad spread out a lot, and a lot of iceberg. Iceberg is fine for diner food... but again this isn't a diner. Ok Dinners... Like the salad the food seems to be from a bag, not fresh. My Chicken had very little chicken - albeit perfectly cut - like taco bell, a LOT of sausuage (perfectly cut) and about 1/3 cup of pasta. It was a small dish on a large plate. The broccoli- 3 tiny supermarked bag frozen spears, one was still partially frozen, one was wet and cold, the small one was warm. Again about 1/3 cup of pasta in the pasta dish - it looked like someone threw a bunch of precooked food in a skillet at put pesto on it. The sausage overwhelmed the pesto... Veal Naples - Napoli Veal - so no pasta. Veal was sort of spongey - just ok and topped with brown sauce, fried peppers and sausage. This would have made a great hero sandwich on some toasty bread. But for $25, it was ... meh. Would I go back? No. The food was served very very quickly, but the place was pretty empty. Ok last comment - you have having a romantic dinner for 2 - I can't figure out why the 2 person tables chairs don't face each other, nor the nice windows. They face the restaurant, sure I could have moved my chair over, but it seemed like they wanted it set up that way... Long story short is... $70 for no appetiers, 2 store bought bagged small salads, 1 so so meal, 1 small/bad meal and 2 glasses of wine (no we did't get the house blend) and we have to go out again later this week - somplace nice for our anniversary.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

We went early to Cugino's so that a friend could order an item found only on the "'beat the moon" menu. Everything sounded so good that we all ordered from the early menu. The dinners are probably a little smaller, but they are an excellent value; all entrees are $12.99. I had tenderloin tips, a lovely dish of beef tips that had a slightly sweet balsamic glaze, with a salad and vegetables -- really delicious. I ordered a cup of Hungarian goulash soup for only $2 more. It didn't have quite the depth of flavor of the leves I had in Hungary, but it was very tasty, and we all scraped the bottom of our bowls. We ordered dessert, a really fine pecan pie, but the manager also gave us a generous taste of "angel cake," a ricotta-filled specialty made around Easter. It was creamy and lovely. Our dinners could easily have been priced significantly higher and we'd have been happy. The restaurant has three seating areas -- a lovely room in front lined with wine bins, a family-friendly-looking bar, and the large dining room in the rear. All were nicely decorated with an atmosphere that was both elegant and casual at the same time. This would be a good place to have lunch with a friend, take a date, or celebrate an occasion.

3  Thank ConnecticutLocavore
Reviewed December 1, 2011

We took our staff out for an early holiday celebration and we were extremely impressed with the food, the staff, service and appearance of the place. Our waitress was very knowledgeable and courteous. The timing and presentation of the meal was excellent. I've been to dinner here with my family and have never been disappointed. Entertaining our staff here was a wonderful experience that made a great impression with them and started the holiday season off just right.
Love the new menu!! The Veal Napoli and the beef goulash (sp?) were superb.

1  Thank John S