“Great room,fair price, friendly staff”
Review of Farmington Inn

Farmington Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Farmington
Reviewed October 30, 2006

Came across this property late on rainy night. Walked in, was greeted warmly by the clerk and given one of the suites at the rate for a regular room. The suite was large, well furnished, and very comfortable. A great bed with a lot of pillows and a well stocked bathroom was very welcome on this rainy night. Breakfast the next morning was above average. All in all a great discovery that will be a destination on some future trip

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

A TripAdvisor Member
Prospect, CT
Reviewed October 4, 2005

We had about 40 of our wedding guests stay at The Farmington Inn in June 2005. From the first to the last interaction, we found everyone at the hotel to be very pleasant and accomodating, including Carter and the front desk staff. They answered all of my questions, gave us a reasonable group rate, helped us keep track of the incoming reservations, and handed out gift bags. They even gave us use of one of the meeting rooms as a place to gather after the reception and continue to celebrate, and they took receipt of about 12 large pizzas that arrived before we got back from the reception. All of our guests (about 19 rooms worth) commented on what a lovely place it was and how much they enjoyed their stay. Even after the wedding weekend was over, Carter was very helpful in addressing a billing question I had. Before booking our rooms, I had read some of the more negative reviews on this and other websites, and I have to say, our personal experience at The Farmington Inn was wonderful from start to finish!

• Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 28, 2005

Stayed there last week (Feb 05). Everything was clean, but it is NOT a "charming New England Inn", which is what I believed it would be from the website. It is more like what another reviewer said: a spruced up Econolodge. Rate for 1 Sat night in Feb: $122 inc. tax. It is right on the main road, so request a room facing the rear parkinglot. Also, not every room has four poster beds and cute wallpaper. Our room was run-of-the-mill econolodge style, but the bed was VERY comfortable with nice sheets , lots of pillows, and duvet cover. (we peeked into a 4-poster room, and it was much nicer). Bathroom was utilitarian but they offered Gilchrist & Soames amenities, along with a glass crystal ice/wine bucket and real glasses (no plastic). Towels were clean and nice smelling, tho not luxurious. Breakfast was muffins, cereal, yogurts and coffee/tea in a decent breakfast room with a TV on CNN. Large TV in room, along with a little storybook placed on our pillows at night to tell about the local area (cute idea). We had to be in and out for a family event, and this place sufficed. If you stay here, make your stay better by requesting a room with a four poster bed. Then it'll feel more "authentic".

3  Thank LemonCake
Reviewed April 25, 2004

Whatever they are paying their promotions people, it's not enough. This is not at all the charming New England inn that it is purported to be, it's more like the nicest Econo Lodge you've ever stayed in. The rooms are nice (not elegant), but the walls are paper-thin and the views are of the parking lots. The continental breakfast is a joke. It doesn't matter whether you go early or late, there is almost nothing available and nobody seems concerned about restocking the empty trays, or the coffee, or milk for the cereal, even when you tell them that they're out of everything. For all I know those same trays have been sitting there for years, because I never saw a muffin, or a croissant, or a baked good of any kind sitting on them. Every morning it's the same thing, a basket of white bread for toast, a tray with a few (and I mean few) melon cubes, and little boxes of cereal. But if you want coffee, or milk for your cereal, be prepared to beg, and then wait, for it. Caveat Emptor!

4  Thank BLDC
Reviewed April 16, 2004

My husband and I have just returned from a two night stay at the Farmington Inn. We were very satisfied with the service and beauty of the inn. We were in town for a family wedding and the Farmington was an excellant place for the guests to stay. The rooms were beautifully furnished and the beds were beyond comfortable. Most of my family, along with many wedding guests were there at the inn and each room was designed differently. That really added to the charm. The complimentary continental breakfast was wonderful, and was served in a lovely location. I would definately recommend this inn to anyone, it is an understated gem of New England!

3  Thank Tiff_08
A TripAdvisor Member
Delray Beach, Fl.
Reviewed March 28, 2004

I needed to fly to Ct. on the spur of the moment for a funeral. Having stayed at the Farmington Inn before, I felt that logistically it was a good choice. Well, on Fri. morning the toilet started to overflow. It just filled up and never flushed. I called the front desk who sent up the maintenance man. I told him it was NOT clogged, it just wouldn't flush. He plunged, and plunged and plunged. My friend and I had to go to the lobby to use the public facilities. I offered the desk clerk, Debbie, to change rooms but the maintenance man pronounced the toilet fixed. On Fri. eve. into Sat. morn the toilet literally overflowed rendering it non usable. We again had to go to the lobby to use the toilet facilities. At checkout, I wanted to speak to the manager, Carter, but he was unavailable and we had to pay and leave, very unsatisfied. He did call me and offered me first a $25 discount and after much haggling a $50 discount which I told him was totally unacceptable. When I stay in a hotel/motel I expect a working toilet with my room. He thinks charging $150 for the two nights with no toilet facilities is fine. I am putting this charge into dispute with the credit card company, who hopefully will understand that a room with a working toilet is what is appropriate. This general manager does not practice good business policy. I hope someone higher in the management of this facility sees this post as he would not tell me the owners and would not allow me to speak to his superiors. With proper plumbing this is a fine facility, but under the circumstances, I would never stay there again.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 19, 2003

I stayed there a few years ago and remember the hotel to be a little older in furnishings and style. The staff was nice and helpful. The best thing about the hotel is its location being right in the historic Farmington Village. Make sure you visit Mill Race Books, a small independent bookshop by the river (within walking distance of the hotel). There are no adequate words to describe the bookstore. You'll just have to enjoy it for yourself! It's one of my most favorite places in New England!

4  Thank HappyBee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Avon Old Farms Hotel
Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington
Courtyard Hartford Farmington
2 mi away
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut

Been to Farmington Inn? Share your experiences!