“Great place for family”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Farmington
Toronto, Canada
“Great place for family”
Reviewed May 23, 2011

This is a very unique hotel experience for me. When I stepped into the lobby and received a heavy metal room key from a very friendly hotel employee, I knew I picked the right place. I stayed 4 nights there with my family including two young kids. I felt so at home. Everyday, after a busy or fun day, I sat with my hubby enjoying a cup of wine and crackers offered by manager for every guest. Kids enjoyed a piece of cookie or fruit also offered by hotel for free. They are so thoughful. There is always hot coffee, tea and water in the lobby. A binder with a lots of menu from local restaurants is also available. Manager helped me heating up kids' food using her own microwave. Another good point, besides the hotel, it is the main street of Farmington, a beautiful street with long history and stories.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank motheroftwo2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
Iowa
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Upon arrival, the staff person was pleasant for the late hour at which we arrived. (Bad rental car situation but that's another review.) There is some underground parking in case of precipitation. I was a bit troubled from a security point of view that the door into the hotel from the covered parking was unlocked despite being given a key which I was told that would work in the door that was never locked during the three days we stayed there. Room entry is by key and not computerized key cards. There is no elevator and we were on the second floor.

The furnishings were charming and I liked the beds, a bit soft for my taste but others with me thought they were fine. The carpet throughout the hotel is in need of replacement; it is a blue-grey color with stained and worn areas. I can't tell you if it was dirty as I wore flip-flops all the time in the room. I would not believe that it was as everything else in the room was clean. The wall covering was curled very slightly at the bottom in the bathroom next to the shower. Since I like blue and white, the color scheme of the room was pleasant. Bath amenities were Bath and Body Works products and a soap with the hotel's own logo. The towels were thick and absorbent. The biggest complaint I had was the variable water temperature. The shower would start out fine and about five minutes into it, it would become lukewarm to cold and after a few minutes, it would be fine again. I attributed it to the aging building's un or under insulated pipes. The individual wall unit heating/cooling system is a bit noisy but would be OK for those who like "white noise". There weren't enough guests to be able to discern if this is a quiet hotel. We would usually see about 6-8 others during breakfast.

The continental breakfast was rather standard (yogurt, bread, fruit, eggs, beverages). They did have real boiled eggs that were warm if you arrived early. Bagels and bread for toast were of a better quality (not like Wonder bread). The woman preparing the breakfast couldn't have been nicer. There were bowls of fresh fruit in the lobby and the breakfast area which I thought was a nice touch.

Their book keeping left something to be desired. I had booked with one of the travel websites and they had me scheduled a day earlier than I was supposed to arrive. I quickly pointed out to the woman who checked me in that I was NOT a no-show and backed it up with my reservation print-out. She was very pleasant about the entire thing. Upon checking out, a similar problem occurred but was quickly and pleasantly resolved. (I have yet to get my credit card bill so I may have to update this post.)

I'd say that the strongest points for this inn are the pleasant staff and the ambiance created by the furnishings (a Colonial feel). It was a decent value and close to where we needed to be in case of bad weather.

Also one of my teenagers tried to charge something while using what she thought was the hotel's wifi. When she tried to complete the purchase, it would not go through. I was reading and had not been paying attention to what she was doing. When I realized that she was not on the hotel's wifi, we called for the password and account information but I would not let her purchase anything as I think it's dangerous to do from a non-home internet connection. Two days later my credit card company called to alert me about a fraudulent charge on my card. I'm not computer savy enough to know if, but I don't believe that this is the hotel's problem.

The quasi-room service (with limited hours coinciding with the resturant hours of operation for lunch and dinner) is from the Zagat-rated Italian resturant next door. (The meal we had there was good.)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 3, 2010

If anyone is qualified to speak as to the quality of this Inn, it's me...I've spent time here at the Inn on 4 separate occassions over the last 6 months...for approx. a week at a time.
The beds are excellent, the staff is exceptional, the overall value is hard to top...with complimentary breakfast bar/shuttle service/internet access, and the location is perfect...in the middle of everything...shops, restaurants,etc. You would be hard-pressed to find a better bang for the buck, or more inviting accommodations than this place!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank tyleralex
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Screwed us. We booked in July for a wedding in October. After a very long drive and arrival, we were informed nonchalantly that they were oversold and subsequently sent us 25 minutes away in the middle of nowhere. Thus we were nearly 2 hours late for the rehearsal dinner. And the sister hotel was teeming with people - dueling parties, bands and loud noise.

Note: the properties are glorified motels with unimpressive decor, uncomfortable furnishings, and unprofessional staff. The prices they are charging are criminal.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RnR_Denver
Colchester, Connecticut
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I blocked rooms for my 10/9/2010 wedding in Farmington here in 5/2009. I wanted to block early since I knew there are a lot of wedding venues in the area.

I was quoted a reduced rate of $129/night for a standard room for my guests which was reasonable. I heard a new Hampton Inn opened nearby, so I quoted them and received a rate of $89/night. I emailed Karishma at the Farmington Inn to notify her we would be moving our block based on the rate difference. At this point Karishma bent over backwards to keep our block, reducing their rate to a comparable amount and comping our welcome baskets. Since the service we received up until this point was far superior at the Farmington Inn, we decided to keep our blocks here.

We blocked 35 rooms for our guests. About 6-7 weeks before our wedding, my guests starting telling me that the Farmington Inn was "booked" when they called to reserve rooms. I contacted Karishma who emailed me a list of what was blocked- only 22 rooms.

I went around and around in a circle of emails and phone calls with Karishma and the Sales Director Mike Donegan until I FINALLY was able to get the truth- a "glitch" in their computer system had allowed the hotel to be oversold so they were no longer able to honor our room block. At this point I was a month out from my wedding date and no longer able to block rooms elsewhere. I ended up having to send guests to the nearby Extended Stay where they were not able to get a reduced rate.

To boot, I had also booked their banquet room for our after party and their shuttle. I had to force them to provide transportation to and from the Extended stay so that our guests at the other hotel were able to attend the after party.

When I went to check into the hotel 45 minutes after check-in time (I had booked the bridal suite) I also had to wait 30 minutes for my room to be ready! I was in a rush to get ready for my rehearsal and dinner and not pleased to find out that after all my previous trouble my room was not even ready.

They did end up giving us the Guest House and bridal suite comped for our trouble. I would have rather paid and had been able to have all my guests in the same place and not dealt with the stress right before my wedding.

Do yourself a favor and book your group blocks elsewhere, the Inn may be pretty but the stress I had to go through was in no way worth it.

• Stayed October 2010
3 Thank rgjb303
Southeastern Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Once again I find myself at odds with most reviewers. Perhaps they're pedestrian... Maybe it's me, perhaps I'm elitist... Though I really don' figure it that a way. This property's website sold me. Egg on my face. Descriptions and photos online fail to show curling wallpaper, filthy stained hallway carpeting (I've travelled the world... Even the Third World... Never saw carpets like this), and sagging, tired, soft mattress. Included breakfast was fair but space it's served in is crammed and crowded with guests. Upon arriving it would have been nice to have the deskman actually smile and say "Welcome to the Farmington Inn" instead of simply and silently checking us in. (he was more helpful giving us restaurant advice later but his directions were wrong.) Despite the filthy-stained hallway carpeting, the room was clean. The place was quiet. We were pretty happy to check out.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
East Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed September 28, 2010

I am a bride-to-be who is getting married in November 2011 at the Farmington Club which is just a few miles down the road. I called Karishma to reserve a block of rooms for my big day and from the very first conversation I knew she would be my "go to person" for the hotel accomodations. She was very knowledgable about the venue as well as the area and very willing to be patient with my many questions and requests. Being engaged and planning the big day we have a lot to do and I feel very confident that Karishma will make sure that the accomodations for my guests are perfect and she will take the pressure off of me for this one aspect of the day! I can't wait to work with her for the next year!

• Stayed September 2010
3 Thank Jengotts4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington
Avon Old Farms Hotel
Courtyard Hartford Farmington
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut

Been to Farmington Inn? Share your experiences!