“Ok”
Review of Hill-Stead Museum

Hill-Stead Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum houses a large collection of French Impressionist paintings.
Greenwich, Connecticut
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Ok”
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Taking advantage of CT Historic Garden's Day, I visited the garden portion of the museum on Sunday. The garden was what one could call as quaint. Rather small, but tranquil. If you want a magnimous garden set-up, go visit Roseland Cottage in Woodstock.

May return to visit the inside of the museum. Tickets are $12. The museum, externally, lies in a beautiful area w/hills seen from afar. The house itself is very gorgeous.

Visited June 2013

New York City, New York
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 159 helpful votes
“What real American aristocrats knew and bought...”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

In a historical city of Farmington, well situated in the so called Aristocratic region of Connecticut, you find a unique estate-museum, the Hill-Stead. This place is not just a regular museum... This place is not for everyone, it's only for special art lovers and for soul readers. Yes, you see there not only unbelieveable art collection, you see how our first big capitalists managed to see much more than just a profit. I am talking about HCC (High Cultural Capitalists), the best ones. It's not just a family story, where the talented daughter, the first American Lady-Architect, Theodate Pope, brought here her very rich parents from Clevelend, you see the place which could be called the Embassy of the World and European Culture in Connecticut. The family managed to collect hundreds of art masterpieces, and when you see works of Durer and Mane, Matisse and Mone, Hiroshige and Hocusayi, Whistler and Dega, you realize how members of the Pope family could keep and develop such great spirits and unlimited cultural horizons in this house. You love Big Art? Go to Hill-Stead. You like and respect unique achievers? Go to Hill-Stead. I've been there many times and never ever had one boring minute, because this place works as a spring-board for your own soul, it helps you to see no limits for your dreams, despite of difference in the bank accounts - yours and Mr. Pope's. Please see my photographs, taken outside and you'll feel that special spirit, which still lives here for more than 100 years.
alftul

1 Thank alftul
Rocky Hill, CT
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“nice art!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

WE have been here a couple of times. Each time, we learn something new from our tour guide. The grounds are nice to roam on. They also have a farmer's market on Sundays in the summer

Visited August 2012
Connecticut
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“beautiful home with attractive grounds, however...”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I recently took my mother and father-in-law to the Hillstead Museum while they were visiting from out of state. Unfortunately, the house is not as handicapped accessible as the web-page leads one to believe (the thresholds and uneven pavement outside make for a difficult wheelchair ride) so we struggled to see all of the areas that are advertised as handicap accessible. We were also disappointed to find that half of the house was closed (all of the upstairs and sections of the downstairs) due to a lack of guides because of an event taking place. We paid full price at the gate but were only able to see half of what we came to see. We had asked specifically at the gate if the museum was open for tours as that, and not the bazaar was the point of our visit and we had been assured that it was and that we would be able to go on a tour. We had to wait nearly an hour for the doors of the museum to open and then were disappointed by the fact that half the home was closed off. I will hesitate before making another trip to this museum.

2 Thank panarama222
“Impressive”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Being new to the area, this was one of the first museums I've had the chance to visit and I am ready for my next visit. The grounds are absolutely amazing and the house is full of history and art. The day I went, I was the only one on the tour, and the tour guide went beyond to talk about the house and its history. It’s been a while since I’ve had such an informative guide on a tour. If you are in the area, it is definitely worth the trip and day!