“Family Run. Cooking Like Grandma”

Bella Sera Ristorante
Ranked #68 of 242 Restaurants in Fairfield
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The room has a red-hued Mediterranean feel and the black tables and chairs with crisp bright white table cloths give the initial impression that this family-run Italian restaurant will take good care of you. The initial impression holds up as the food is expertly served and is fresh and unpretentious...yet creative...as great Italian cooking should be.

Having eaten there a number of times before, my brother-in-law and I were able to run through a lot of the menu which is consistent and, again, easy-going with just the right amount of inventiveness without going over the top. As in the last batch of restaurants I have reviewed here the salt is conspicuously absent. Is this a trend or am I losing my taste buds for salt as my old age begins to creep in? The same lack of salt was presnt at "Otto" (One of the premier New York City restaurants) and other top level places in Philly, so I think this represents some kind of health trend rather than taste-bud senility on my part.

The Pasta Bolognese is terrific with the pasta perfectly Al Dente and the meat sauce full of flavor and surprises. My suggestion is to add nutmeg to the surpises like they they in Venice and like you'll get a Bolognese if you come to eat at my house with my wife and me. The small shell pasta (Orecchette) with tiny shrimps, pancetta and peas in a Vodka cream sauce is so good! The shells really wonderfully pick up the peas and ham and shrimp.

There are great appetizers and salads. One appetizer I can never resist is the sausage and spinach stuffed mushroom with melted provolone. This dish is served in a great broth which can be doubled as a dipping sauce for the variety of breads. You can easily work through the menu over time and you will want to come back.

5  Thank TommyBoy94

Reviewed February 1, 2012

This is truly a hidden gem. Great for take out too. Don't let the location dissuade you!

3  Thank Tripster1818
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Eight of us shared appetizers... I'd rate the Sicilian Meatballs (crunchy) awesome, The Clams Casino excellent and the calamari good. I had a very nice Cesar Salad & Veal Saltimbaca. The veal comes in a very nice gravy with mashed potatoes and artichokes. We also shared deserts... the Tiramisu was excellent and the Carrot cake was also very good. We had Louis Martini Sonoma and the total was a bit over $50 per person which in Fairfield is good to great value for the meal & drinks we had!

8  Thank Paul G