“Good food with lots of choices”
Review of The Bear & Grill

The Bear & Grill
Ranked #148 of 217 Restaurants in Fairfield
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Good food with lots of choices”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We enjoyed our dinner. We started we a nice bread basket. Next we shared a Caesar Salad(half salad portion). The size was more than generous for two to share. Next my husband and I each had the bison burgers - I had grilled vegetables and he had sweet potato fries. Our daughter had the beef burger with sweet potato fries. We all liked our food. For dessert we shared a slice of chocolate moose cake. The cake was on the dry side. We had good service.

• Visited March 2013

Shelton, Connecticut
“Healthy Choices on Menu - Nice Surprise”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

A recent mid-week dinner proved to be a nice surprise. Expecting the standard American fare - burgers and fires, et al., I was pleasantly surprised to be able to order a kale & blue cheese salad with apple slivers + walnuts. Kale was just crisp enough, properly stemmed, apple pieces crisp (very hard to find crisp apples in February) and perfectly seasoned with a house vinaigrette. Though I ordered the salad as an appetizer I very well could have treated it as an entree.

My son dived into his burger with sweet potato fries instead of regular fries. I too ordered a burger, rare (I like rare but my burger's center was not just cool red center but raw a la tartar) substituting coleslaw for fries. The slaw was very good, not swimming in a watery mayo slurry.

• Visited February 2013
“Our Go-to Restaurant”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I meet here for dinner about two to three times a month. The location is very convenient – just a couple of miles south of the Merritt Parkway in Fairfield. It has a casual, Adirondack-style décor with a large fireplace in the main front room. The wait staff is friendly and efficient and they serve water and delicious corn bread and biscuits right away. Their prices are reasonable and portions generous. I particularly like their salads with either chicken or salmon - the pasta dishes are also good as well.

• Visited January 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Two of the Best places for lunch or dinner in the Ffld.BPT.Sthpt. area”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My family of 4 over 30 also at times 6 over thirty, one 18 and one 9 as well as numerous times with 4 or more friends over 60. At this point you can see we eat there a lot. I do not understand why you print reviews from years ago. We have been eating there ever since they opened and have never been disappointed. On the contrary. The food there and at their sister restaurant Cinzano's is far and above most other places in the Fairfield Bpt. Southport area. We eat at a lot of places and both these places get 5 stars from anyone we have been there with for dinner.
They might have had problems in the beginning when they first opened, I never came across any but I don't think that you can fault them at this point in time. Try the Lumberjack Porkchop dinner at the Bear and Grill absolutely scrumptious.

• Visited October 2012
Stamford, Connecticut
“PROBABLY THE MOST SCUM BAG PLACE YOU CAN GO TO”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I dont usually write reviews, I am not a perfectionist, dont complain much, easy going guy, but I had a very bad experience at BEAR and Grill in fairfield,ct many years back and feel the need to finally tell my story. One thing I assure you has not changed is the customer service which is a reflection of their management and ultimately the owners ( son and father). I know this because people I personally know have recently went here to eat and have come to the same conclusion as me. The reason why I am posting this is I used to work at this place for about 3 weeks and never got paid, and want to give them back some karma that is owed to bear and grill. I also want to give a heads up to save hard working people from spending their money in a horrible place like this. I have worked for many restauraunts over the years and this bar far is the worst place I have ever worked at due to the owner and management shorting all the workers on pay, horrible customer service, and treating all people with no respect or decency. After a few weeks of not getting paid I asked others whats going on with this place do you not all get paid? They told me to not count on getting monies owed for hours worked rather just concentrate on getting good tips! Honestly the food in general is average to good depending on what you get. I wish the 2 owners that I know of father and son a financial melt down. For your information I was praised by 3 customers that I can remember for my customer service. They all asked me if I was new because they were never treated so kindly in this place and commented on how this is what customer service should be. The owners just dont comprehend that you must treat ALL people in your restauraunt kindly to have a respectable establishment! I have heard from other sources the owners wife (old mans wife) is worse and far more nasty than the father son duo. This is quite shocking because these guys were pretty bad! These people are clearly psychotic and have no feelings or compassion for others. They just want YOUR money! Once they get it they send you to hell with their actions. In all fairness I have never felt this way about someone before, but I wish them to recieve some of the heart ache and pain they have given to many patrons and employees. STAY AWAY from bear and grill, dont support a place who treat customers and employees like they are like disposable pieces of trash.

• Visited November 2011