“Great food at great prices, true family restaurant”
Review of The Bear & Grill

The Bear & Grill
Ranked #133 of 239 Restaurants in Fairfield
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Went to the Bear and Grill last weekend for an early dinner with my family. All the staff members were very friendly and our waitress seemed very knowledgeable. Asked her for recomemdations and were very pleased with our meals. The restaurant is children friendly, they offer extensive kids' menu and accomodate substitutions for picky eaters. I loved the ambiance and decorations - there is plenty to keep the kids occupied until the meal comes. Will be back!

Reviewed December 30, 2010

Went in on a Wednesday and they were advertising drink specials including bud light, Coors, coronas, and absolute for $2 (pictures here). The bartender said that the poster in the bathroom advertising the special was old, and tried to charge me full price. I said that I would not pay full price and he took the four open bottles of corona off of the bar and put them underneath the counter - for an unsuspecting buyer - and said that I should speak with the owner (which he never produced). Got the cold shoulder from the staff after that. Every time I go in there something happens where they make me feel like they are doing me a favor by selling me over-priced beers. I would not go back, but there are few other places within walking distance. If someone put a decent bar on Black Rock Turnpike it would crush Black Bear into extinction where it belongs.

2  Thank goneflukin
Reviewed December 4, 2010

The place is lovely to look at, but the cooking, staff and management are lacking at best. They claim best burger in town, and that's what I ordered. How about the worst burger in town. I sent it back - first bloody and then way overcooked. Very disappointed

1  Thank foodyjb
Reviewed February 19, 2010

Decor and ambiance is fun and casual. It evokes images of a bygone era of the great camps and lodges of the Adirondacks, complete with a floor-to-ceiling stone fireplace, split logs and twigs, massive antler chandeliers, camping memorabilia, and our own Log Cabin bar.
Huge Menu, Salad, Sandwiches, Steaks, Pastas, Burgers, & Pizzas.
my Kids Live going their. great for a adults, & Fun for kids.

Reviewed January 10, 2010

So to begin, we called for reservations for a birthday party for seven and spoke to someone on the phone about 2 hours before. Upon arrival we found our reservation was not there and the hostess made up some lame excuse that there was a "new" girl who did not take it down correctly. Next, we ordered 3 apps which took about an hour to arrive when there was about 5 other tables with patrons eating. Then our food came out about 5 minutes after the apps. The time management in the kitchen obviously needs some work, or maybe the chef was taking a nap. Overall the food was average, although the chicken tasted like my car floor mats.

So after a two hour dinner, the kicker came when we saw the check which had a 8 dollar charge to serve you your own birthday cake, which nobody told us about at all. Mind you my dinner entree cost 8 dollars. When I spoke with the wait staff he just said it was policy. So then I asked to speak with the manager and he pretty much made excuses for the waiter and himself with no resolution except to take it out of the waiters tip. He was a pompous manager who clearly lacked customer service skills. No wonder there was not many people eating there. We should have taken warning and left, save yourself the headache and go somewhere else.

1  Thank CtSubie