“I now love Cambodian”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Fairfield, Connecticut
“I now love Cambodian”
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

This place is delicious. Period. Eat here. From appetizers to entrée to dessert. Can't go wrong. I can't wait to come back here!!!

Fairfield, Connecticut
“If you like Thai food, you will love this Camodian food!”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I am so happy to see Royal House on Trip Advisor because I tried writing a review a couple of months ago and they weren't there yet. My family and I ate there on its opening night a few months ago and have been back several times, for both take-out and eat-in. First, the owner in the dining room is kind, efficient, and goes out of her way to make you feel welcome and to explain the food. Second, the food is to die for. For appetizers, we love the Summer Roll (similar to Vietnamese) and the Khmer Fish Cake; the Papaya Salad is amazingly flavorful and SPICY; and the main dishes that make you go back for more are Chicken Khmer Red Curry and the Phnom Penh Roast Duck. The mixture of spice and coconut milk in these last two is magical. The wine selection has gradually come to life too, from no license to a few wines to a good selection. I feel lucky to have this amazing food so close to home -- I am no expert of Southeast Asian food, but know what I love!

• Visited January 2014
Bridgeport, CT
“Best cashew chicken I've ever had”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

After driving by this restaurant for several months, my curiosity finally got the better of me and I ordered take-out lunch. Lunch is a real value--$12 for an appetizer and an entree, which was quite enough for dinner. For my appetizer I had the crab and shrimp spring rolls, which were spicy and stuffed full, with a bit of lettuce/carrot salad on the side. I've tried cashew chicken in its various incarnations in several local restaurants, and this was by far the best I've EVER eaten, anywhere. The entree portion was more than enough, as I've said, for dinner rather than lunch. The veggies were of a just-right al dente consistency. My only issue was that I think the chicken was dark rather than white meat, and I'm partial to white--but that's me, not the dish. The flavoring was subtly different from either Chinese or Thai. I'm looking forward to trying something more adventurous--and eating in the lovely decor rather than at home with take-out --next visit. So many restaurants have occupied this space. I hope this one stays for a long, long time!

• Visited February 2014
connecticut
“review based on lunch”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

So, I notice the other two 5 star reviews and want to state up front that my review is based solely on lunch food. For decor and service I give it 5 stars. I felt my steamed dumplings were microwaved after having been steamed earlier. Accompanying sauce was nice but the dumpling texture (noodle vs meat) was slightly gummy and also hard. Laying on a cold glass plate with iceburg lettuce and shaved carrots. As someone else mentioned, some dishes (at least lunch) are similar if not the same as Thai. I had a hot basil dish which was nice looking but the sauce was broken and the meat was the biggest problem: seemed unlike fresh chicken but some kind of pressed meat thinly sliced kind of like I have had at unfortunate low end chinese joints. This is my unsolicited advice about lunch: they should drop the price,from $12 (I just was in NYC 2 days ago and had a fabulous Thai lunch for $9) and offer fewer choices. Just a choice of two soups and then a few main courses. The restaurant will still make money on beverages and desserts and will have more turn over. This place has potential and I would have waited to review after I returned, but can't imagine trying again at the price for what I had. I was going to put in a take-out order before leaving but, based on my meal, decided not to.

Visited December 2013
Milford, CT
“Subtlety of Flavor Not To Be Missed”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I just got back home after eating at Royal House and feel compelled to review this restaurant immediately. It is the best Asian food I have had in southern Connecticut in a long time. I had never been to a Cambodian restaurant before and an excellent review on Yelp had me intrigued.

Cambodian cuisine is not dissimilar to Thai cuisine but not the same by any means. The subtlety of flavors was striking. Slightly sweeter and not as overtly spicy as Thai cuisine, the Cambodian cuisine at Royal House is dazzling. Enough kick to satisfy our love of spicy cuisine, my girlfriend and I were very impressed with the flavor range of the sauces.

For appetizers we began with Khmer fish cakes and steamed dumplings. For those of you familiar with fish cakes, they are the best I have had in Connecticut. Wonderful texture and heat served with an enticing sweet dipping sauce. The steamed dumplings were filled with pork, shrimp and herbs with the chef's house-made soy sauce. Both appetizers were outstanding.

For the main course we shared Spicy vegetable Siem Reap Noodles and a fantastic dish called Amok. The noodles were reminiscent of Thai Drunken Noodles but with more depth of flavor that became more addicting with each bite. Amok is a sea bass fillet stuffed with mixed seafood and topped with a superb red curry sauce laced with coconut milk. A top notch seafood dish.

The restaurant has inviting decor in a relaxing environment. A great place for dinner conversation. Personal and attentive service by the chef-owners. Amidst a slew of pan Asian restaurants trying to be everything to everybody, Royal House stands out from the crowd by serving outstanding authentic cuisine with a modern flare while staying true to its heritage. Make it a point to go.

• Visited November 2013