“True Italian, a Fairfield Staple!”

Avellino's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 243 Restaurants in Fairfield
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant never disappoints. From the bread, evoo and plentiful shredded Parmesan, to the perfectly portioned appetizers and meals. The owner has always been accommodating and pleasant. Yea, sometimes it's unexpectedly busy, but sit and enjoy. It's worth going! It's a small business with great heart and soul. They will even make something not on the menu. Please check it out!

PDF06824, Owner at Avellino's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Dear AJffldct, we appreciate your wonderful review, and look forward to seeing you soon.

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experience.

Peter Del Franco

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Have lived in Fairfield for a while but did not try Avellino's until recently - wished we had gone earlier - it will become one of our regular stops.

Excellent service and a great dining area, The waiter was attentive but not intrusive.

Both entree's were very good.

We are planning to go back.

PDF06824, Owner at Avellino's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Thank you, we appreciate you giving us the opportunity with all the other restuarant choices out there. We Look forward to seeing you soon. Thanks again Peter DelFranco

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I joined a group of colleagues for an "earlyish" meal. We ordered a couple of bottles of wine and a few appetizers. It will definitely be our first and last visit to this restaurant - it's a shame, because we certainly like to support local businesses!

After a twenty-minute wait, we finally had our waiter take our order. After asking for a couple of wine recommendations, I might as well have asked a question from my son's alebra book; absolutely clueless. Once we were drinking some wine and had ordered some appetizers, I was extremely concerned that our food had been delivered, cold (It looked as though it had been stagnant for a while) and was quite literally unpleasant to eat.

Also, the bathrooms leave a lot to be desired! (Perhaps some Lysol would do the trick)

2  Thank harry t
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Maybe we were there on an off night but my impression of this Fairfield establishment is that it has deteriorated over the past few years. We went for a weeknight dinner and my first experience was my sandals sticking to the floor as i walked across the dining room to my table. We were pretty hungry so ordered calamari to start and it was undercooked and not very crisp. I asked the waiter if i ordered risotto if it would take longer and he said no. 25 minutes later my seafood risotto arrived hot and delicious. My Husband ordered the Spicy rare tuna special and it was good but not very spicy at all. With all the excellent Italian restaurants in the area i don't think we will go back

1  Thank Msmouse1

Dear Ms mouse, thank you for your comment, we always do our best to offer great food prepared to order in a reasonable amount of time. Avellino's is owned and operated by the Del Franco family since 1994. Visit our website at avellinosfairfield.com for all our great Italian dishes. Thanks again for the opportunity for us to serve you, and we wish you will try us again soon. Peter Del Franco

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Fellow reviewers,

First, focusing solely on food and wine, Avellino's is okay. It certainly isn't up there, quality wise, with Barcelona and Molto, but it provides an average Italian cuisine.

Service, on the other hand, can be summed up in one word. . . "appalling." It was the first time that I have left a restaurant feeling absolutely disgusted at the way I was treated - after complaining about my food (it was cold) the owner of the restaurant interrupted his waitress who was trying to apologize, and snatched our meals away. He then assured me that because they have been around for "twenty years" he did not care if I am left feeling unhappy at the service. The owner is rude, obnoxious, and extremely unprofessional.

As I was talking, the owner interrupted me, repeating himself "you're still talking, you're still talking." Honestly, i'm simply astonished that any proprietor would treat a paying customer like that.

7  Thank Ali H
PDF06824, Owner at Avellino's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

First and foremost we are very proud of the reputation we have built for the past 19 years and look forward in continuing being a great restaurant in a town many other great restaurants who take great pride in what they do, for at least the next 19 years. Where we have always enjoyed serving all the wonder people who choose to dine with us and appreciate what we do. As for Mr A.H. the meal started with Calamari Fritti, which they enjoyed. He even devoured the romaine lettuce that we use as a garnish. Next we served a salad, Formaggio Di Capra, which they also enjoyed. His dining companion ordered Risotto e Fungi, our Italian rice with mushroom, he ordered our Pizzette Bianco, white pizza describe as mozzarella cheese, minced garlic, parsley, E.V.O.O. after about 30 minutes after receiving his Pizzette Bianco and eating 40%, and his lady eating about 80% of her risotto the server expecting to hear how they enjoyed everything and would like to have the rest wrapped to take home, instead he stated that it wasn't prepared as it's described on the menu (Mozzarella cheese, minced garlic, parsley, E.V.O.O.), also that it tasted frozen and inedible, and that it did not compare to other restaurants in the area. At which point after watching a very surprised server / owner / wife apologizing and offering to make another meal which I’m sure every restaurant has done one time or another. He insisted she hadn’t been quite sincere or understanding enough to his satisfy his complaints. I felt he was trying to intimidate her, and subsequently he was keeping her from taking care of our other guest. It’s true at that point I walk over and pick up the plates, after wrapping the risotto and removing the cost of the Pizzette from the check I felt it was fair to ask him to leave and to continue to dine at the restaurants that he enjoys. Now if he had received his meal and it didn’t look right or taken 1 bite or maybe 2 bites still wasn’t happy, I’m not sure about anyone else but I wouldn’t continue to eat it and you shouldn’t either. I would call over my server and mention my dissatisfaction, point out what I felt is wrong with the meal for example it’s been over or under cooked has too much salt, didn’t realize prosciutto was meat or pork…..so you can imagine 19 years unfortunately these things happen in fact once after making our delicious house made Tiramisu a server was call over to a table we had served a complimentary dessert to celebrate their 17th anniversary and were told that the tiramisu tasted salty we immediately brought over to 2 new desserts a White Chocolate Brioche Bread Pudding and a Nutella Semi Freddo 2 cappuccino’s and 2 limoncello’s a little extreme none the less it was our way of saying thank you not only for pointing it out for us also because it stopped us from serving anyone else, checking too find out what happened and after realizing we what happened we also changed the way we labeled the containers and not the tops. I’m certain anyone and everyone would also agree that no one has the right to bully anyone or interrupt others who are enjoying themselves. Peter Del Franco.