“Really Bad” 1 of 5 bubbles

Michael Gennaro's Steakhouse
Ranked #17 of 215 Restaurants in Fairfield
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Darien, ct
“Really Bad”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

Normally don't write reviews but this was so bad I had to. Waitress messed up orders, steak mediocre, food came out wrong. Place is dated looking, not upscale at all and bathroom was dirty. I know this isn't NYC or Chicago, but Gennaros is not a great restaurant and certainly not worth the high end prices. Amateur all around.

Visited January 2014
4 Thank Lola P
Michael G, Owner at Michael Gennaro's Steakhouse, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Hello. My name is Michael and I am the owner of Michael Gennaro's Steakhouse. This is in response to the review dated Feb 20, 2014 with the heading "REALLY BAD". I never respond to customer's reviews, but in this case I feel I must stick up for my server, my food and my restaurant.
First of all let me say I am so sorry the reviewer had a bad experience. She was checked on several times throughout the meal and the whole table said everything was just fine. If there was a problem it is impossible for me to fix it if I am completely unaware of the problem. That being said, Let me respond to each of her complaints one at a time.
The reviewer said the steak was mediocre at best. Obviously, I have no idea what her likes and dislikes are, but I know the quality of the meat I am buying and it is USDA Prime and of the highest quality. 99 people out of 100 tell me on a daily basis that their steak was one of the best, if not the best, they have ever had. This is literally on a daily basis. So again, maybe the steaks were just not to her liking.
As for the food coming out wrong, this is where I will stick up for my server. The reviewer's friend passed on an appetizer and ordered the Salmon for her entrée. Now, we have 2 salmon dishes on the menu, a Smoked Salmon appetizer and a Salmon Steak entrée. Her friend wanted the Smoked Salon appetizer as her entrée and my server incorrectly assumed she wanted the Salmon Steak entrée. The correct dish was brought to the table in literally 1 minute. Problem solved so I thought. It was a completely honest mistake that was taken care of immediately. I guess this really upset the reviewer.
The reviewer also said the bathroom was dirty. The bathrooms in my restaurant are mopped, cleaned and sanitized EVERY SINGLE DAY. They are also checked every hour for cleanliness throughout the night. There was a paper towel on there floor and when the bathroom was checked it was immediately thrown away. This in no way constitutes dirt.
And last but not least the reviewer said the restaurant looked dated. Well, the restaurant is not even 2 years old and it is really beautiful, warm and inviting. I don't know what she was expecting. Everybody who walks though the doors comments on how beautiful the space is and how they love to be here.
Again, I am so sorry to the reviewer that she had a bad experience. I absolutely do not feel we deserved such an awful review in any way, shape or form! But, to anyone reading this, please read all the perfect reviews and decide for yourselves. We strive to be the absolute best we can be and we take great pride in making sure our guests have an incredible dining experience. We are not perfect, but if we know there is a problem we will do whatever it takes to correct it immediately. But, we need to know.
Thanks for taking to time to read this.

Fairfield, Connecticut
“Don't walk, run to this wonderful restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

My husband and I went to Michael Gennaro's for the first time after living in Fairfield since 2001. It is well worth every penny. Staff is super friendly and caring, food is fantastic and fresh. The crab cakes were the best I've ever had! I can't wait to go back.

• Visited January 2014
connecticut
“What a hidden treasure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Literally just returned from a wonderful birthday celebration at Gennaro's for my husband. This was our third time there and our third time overly impressed! It was such a cold, cold night and we thought they would be closed but they were open and more than happy to accommodate us. The food was amazing as usual! The staff is so attentive without being in your face during the meal. The steak is absolutely amazing and the arugula salad with fig is to die for! It is obvious Michael the Owner cares about his customers as he is always there and pulls up his sleeves when need be. We cannot wait to return to our new favorite in Fairfield! Kudos Michael and gang

• Visited January 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Changed since opening ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

When Gennaros first opened it was phenomenal, the food and service were worth the menu prices. The food and service have since gone down hill. We went on a Friday evening and it was empty. One my friends fries were overlooked, she sent them back and they came back burnt again. Disappointing given what they charge, I would expect a first class experience every time.

Connecticut
“Great food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Michael Gennaro's steak house quickly became our favorite restaurant in Fairfield. Delicious food and great service make a good combination for a pleasant evening.

• Visited December 2013