“Not that great.”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Not that great.”
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

A few of us went for dinner and drinks. Our server was kinda fast and we could not understand him due to his accent. He just did not speak to good.. we thought he said his name Rabron...he went over specials which was nice, very into it but could not understand him. Next the food, soup not hot and the chowder had hard not cooked enough potatoes. The manager came over to water the tables and we mentioned it to him. He told us that that is the way we make it. My gf said to the table , they make it cold and hard potatoes it a very old way of cooking it..its called bad chowder...lol They saw we did not eat the soup but just took away a full bowl and offered nothing off the bill for the soup. Wow they are hurting for money.
The rest of the dinner was good. The manager and busboy gave us water and spilled it all over the floor and did notheing to clean it up. A women came by almost got hurt, she was in heels but why not clean up the water..

I liked the bartender is the best i could say...

3 Thank thebestf

Fairfield, Connecticut, United States
“Never a disappointment”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Our favorite place to have Sunday brunch, however I have always had a very good meal at this very pleasant resturant.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Elizabeth G
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Good food and Excellent service”
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

After a diet of chicken wings, burgers and pizza over the past two weeks plus on the road, we were looking for something that was a bit more up-market without going to silver service. This restaurant has a bar and does meals at the bar as well as a good restaurant with a pleasant atmosphere and decor. We went there on Trip Advisor recommendations and were not disappointed. Our waitress was very busy but she was knowledgeable about the food and never kept us, nor anyone else that we could see, waiting for attention. She was a credit to herself and her training. The menu is varied. I had a pork chop and asked for it 'medium' and I got it - medium! Perfect. If I have to quibble there are two. Firstly, barn-raised animals are short on flavour. That is just an observation because I understand the restaurant can do nothing about that. Secondly, my wife had a salad: a wedge of iceburg lettuce with blue cheese, bacon bits, blue cheese dressing. It was a meal in itself! Does anyone really need dishes that big? We avoided the sweet course because of these big meals.

2 Thank WingerJack
“Oh my word! Fantastic”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We were travelling up the coast from New Jersey and stumbled upon this fine establishment by sheer desperation. We were looking for a place that looked like it might be infant/child/high chair friendly, and it was 6:30 on a Friday night so we were expecting to have to wait awhile to be seated. When we were greeted warmly by the hostess we were told the wait would be 20 to 30 minutes. At that moment, one of the bus boys chimed in and said they could get a table ready for us in 5 minutes (which they did).

Our waitress, who was prompt, personable and professional, took our order in a patient and timely fashion. A couple of minutes later our drinks and my husband's appetizer arrived (oysters), which he said was very good, cold and fresh. My son's chicken tenders came early, as we requested. He devoured them so I think it is safe to say they were satisfactory.

I ordered a glass of red Zinfandel, which was very good for $8 (and I know my wine). It wasn't a chain food restaurant size glass but for the price in a place like this it was excellent. My husband ordered a medium rare hamburger with blue cheese and caramelized onions. He said it was closer to rare but absolutely excellent, the best he has had in a long time. I ordered a house salad with grilled chicken. Now one of my biggest pet peeves is fatty grilled chicken. There wasn't a single piece that I had to discard because of fat. The balsamic vinaigrette dressing was interesting with an almost creamy texture.

Dessert....woweeee! We had the cheesecake with caramel sauce. Exquisite. The presentation was in a Kilner's jar, which gave it a nice summery feel. It may have been the lightest and creamiest piece of cheesecake I've ever encountered. Simply incredible.

I should mention that when I was halfway through my glass of wine a fruit fly landed in it. Our waitress gave me a new FULL glass, no questions asked. All of the staff was helpful, accommodating and very friendly, and the thing that pleased me the most about the service was that they were all so wonderful with my children.

All in all, we were shocked at the value here. It was 25% lower than we were expecting to pay for a meal of this quality.

One more thing- the fries are great!

3 Thank lovetoeat71
Long Island, New York
“Good food and ambiance, portion size an issue”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Taking in a concert in Fairfield we strolled the nearby streets to find dinner. The last time we attended a concert at the Fairfield Theatre Company we tried a different restaurant in town that did not merit a return so we selected the Old Post Tavern. Upon entering this nicely appointed pub/restaurant we were welcomed by the very pleasant and friendly staff and given a nice table by a row of door/windows which look out over Route 1. The menu is fairly simple, some pastas, fish, steak, and burgers. There is an extensive wine menu so I started with a glass of pinot grigio; there were several choices and I left the selection to the waitress. My fiance went for a Cosmopolitan. The drinks were excellent. For food I ordered a grilled pork chop with green beans and mashed potatoes. I requested that the specified hot pepper sauce be done in a light fashion. My fiance ordered the lobster ravioli. There was a good basket of bread slices of two types. We later requested a refill of bread and this was done at no additional charge. A nice touch; beware of restaurants that charge for this as it is a sign of pettiness in my opinion. My meal arrived rather heavily sauced; it did not appear as though my request for light seasoning was met. But this proved not to be a problem, as this sauce, though quite spicy, was simply fabulous and very enjoyable. I would not have thought such a spicy sauce would be appropriate for pork as pork is usually done simply in my experience with an applesauce side. The lobster ravioli was acceptable but not all that flavorful. The main issue with the meal was the portion size. There simply could have been more food on the plates. My conclusion of this restaurant is that it is encourages the ordering of an appetizer or two to round out the meal, and not make you leave hungry. This explains why we requested a second order of bread! I did not expect this approach in an establishment with the name "tavern" in it. Generally, in my book a "tavern" is a simpler type of restaurant where the food is plainer, cheaper, and more plentiful in portion. Sort of one step above a diner! Having said this, try this restaurant if you are aware that you need to order an appetizer per person to leave satisfied. I give the Old Post Tavern high marks for cleanliness, friendliness, ambiance, and overall very decent tasting food. I think they need to decide if they are a good-eating tavern/pub or a gourmet restaurant that encourages "sampling" a series of smaller dishes. I'll leave this review at four stars because the burger platters may in fact be well-portioned; I simply do not know.

• Visited February 2012