“Nice atmosphere” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
New York City, New York, USA
“Nice atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've dined here twice -- once with a girlfriend and the 2nd time with a family member. The service is very quick and the food is okay. Nice atmosphere. Have experienced wait times during the warmer months

Visited March 2013

Fairfield, Connecticut
“Don't bother! unless u want RUDE/SNOBBY attitudes!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

The food is good. We ordered 1panini, 3 chicken dishes and pasta and meatballs from the child menu. All was tasty except for my son's dish. The sauce tasted like store bought canned sweet sauce and the meatballs were tasteless, needless to say my toddler would not eat them. The place is cute but very tight and long, the menu is nice, however, I would not go back bc the STAFF IS unprofessional, snotty, unaccommodating and rude. We spent over $150 for lunch not incl tax and tip on 4 people. Too bad the staff ruined this place. Will not return and warn others of the unimpressive, to say the least, atmosphere and unwelcoming attitudes. Shape up or ship out bc this place is going to go belly up without a serious remodel of staff and service!

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ffldmom924
Stratford, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Reliably good food, good value, good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

We usually come after the usual lunch time, so we have no problem being seated and always enjoy the food. If we didn't, I wouldn't have a problem telling them, and they seem so nice I have the impression they would hop to it to rectify anything. I don't like tvs in restaurant/cafes, but they seem a done deal. The constant assault of advertizing never ceases in the USA.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Susan P
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Extremely Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

My wife and I have been customers of Tomato and Basil since the day they opened their doors. We live in Fairfield and were instantly pleased with the restaurant; we've consistently ordered from them weekly for years, no complaints.....until now.

As time has gone on, their customer service has drastically gone down hill. Their lack of attention to orders, in-house and take out, has proven to be disappointing. Because we've had history with the restaurant we always gave them second chances. Unfortunately, they've run out. My wife and I visited the restaurant last night for a relaxing dinner. The hostess, who is very nice, sat us at the bar. My wife was about to order drinks when we noticed the menu lacked a few or our favorite items. We asked if they were not serving their sandwiches and longer and were informed that those were for take out only. When asked if we could order them, we were told, no.....they wouldn't budge. Where is the logic in that? There were plenty of items on the menu that were equal to lesser value than the sandwiches, they could have made money off of us due to drinks, apps, dessert and tip..but no.......wonderful customer service. Had we sat in the parking lot and made a call, we could make our order......what??? As a result, we decided to leave.

As we were leaving, an employee approaches my wife from behind the bar claiming that she had come in a week ago, ordered take out and left without paying....EXTREMELY awkward moment in front of the other employees and customers. He proceeds to tell her that he blamed his employee but now "remembers" my wife and the order.......he continues to press the issue. I sat back down at the bar and the employee immediately back peddles telling my wife "everything is fine, it's all good". What's all good????? That you imply my wife stole from you? That you made my wife feel extremely embarrassed? My wife is a high school teacher in Fairfield, she's a coach on numerous athletic programs in the school, she sits on various boards and committees in town. Yes, Mr. Peacock feather fluffing employee, my wife is your classic smash and grab criminal. Next time, you may want to know who you're talking to......because of him, everyone in the school system, students and staff, will hear of this ridiculously unprofessional confrontation.

This post is not about being regular employees who feel like they weren't given the royal treatment. This is about a complete lack of professionalism and a complete lack of respect. To say that we were beyond disappointed at the situation is an understatement. Despite the restaurant having good food, thumbs up to the cooking staff, Tomato & Basil has lost 2 regular customers, and countless others, who have promoted their restaurant from day one.

Spend your hard earned cash somewhere else.

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Timothy S
Stamford, Connecticut
“The very best food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

Very small place! Too small actually. We showed up before 6pm on a Saturday, after shopping. There was already a 25 minute wait for a table! We asked to eat at the bar, which was also packed. Thanks to a very nice gentleman who moved to make room for the 2 of us, we ordered drinks (excellent choice of craft beers) and our meal. Having eaten there before, we knew the portions were huge. My wife just ordered from their "small plate" menu (appetizers), which aren't small. She loves their Pane Cotte - white cannelloni beans sautéed with Italian bread, baked and topped with parmesan cheese! Yum, Yum, Yum! That was followed by Eggplant Rollatini. Also delicious. We shared both, and still took some home. I had the Rigatoni Rustica! Delicious! Took half of it home also. Since we were there, we also ordered a White Pizza with crumbled sausage - To Go. Always great cold the following day. I would highly recommend this place... but not at traditional meal hours. I've been told that you could wait for an hour or more on occasion.

• Visited March 2012