“Wonderful Thanksgiving Buffet.”

Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Essex
Cuisines: American, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in the “storybook” village of Essex mere steps from the Connecticut River, this 1776 landmark offers three distinct dining experiences. “Historic Dining” is offered in four handsome rooms - The Covered Bridge, The Gun Room, The Library and The Essex Room – where a renowned maritime art collection fills the walls. The Inn’s New England heritage and connection with the sea is apparent in the classic seasonal cuisine offered; diners may enjoy a more contemporary culinary experience in the stunning wine bar featuring tapas-style dining and an extensive selection of wines by the glass; tavern fare is offered in the atmospheric, award-winning Tap Room where lively music rings out nightly. Patio dining is an option May through October, weather permitting. Lunch and dinner served daily, Hunt Breakfast on Sunday.
Reviewed August 29, 2014

We've gone to The Griswold Inn for their Thanksgiving Buffet for 3 years now and every time it is fantastic. The atmosphere is very charming and old fashioned. The food was excellent!!

Reviewed August 9, 2014

You'll be hard-pressed to find a prettier, charming, quintessential New England town than Essex. (Apologies to Woodstock, VT). The Inn itself matches the character and beauty of the town perfectly. It's 1776 patriotic heritage is clearly evident. They even serve a "Revolutionary Ale" from a 1770s recipe -- an excellent brew for a warm summer day. We stopped in for dinner before a show at the Goodspeed Opera House and sat on the small but nice patio with a picturesque view of the street. We tried to engage the waitress in some small talk about the town, but she didn't seem to appreciate the charm as much as we did. It took till after the 2nd round of drinks to get a smile from her. I had the fish-and-chips which were thick and non-greasy. My sweetheart had the turkey club with a salad (uniquely served within the 4 wedges). The salad was fresh and the sandwich thick. The sausage sampler appetizer was amazing! We were entertained by an excellent piano player which we could hear from the open door to the tavern. Definitely put Essex and the Griswold Inn on your vacation plan list. We will visit it again.

1  Thank JandK1958
Reviewed August 8, 2014

We went to the Griswold for lunch with our 2 little girls as we were visiting family in Old Saybrook. The lunch was great - my husband and I both enjoyed the half sandwich and chowder. The inside is unlike anywhere we have ever been and the kids loved looking at everything. Will definitely go back!

Reviewed August 5, 2014

I first went to the Griswold Inn when I was eight years old on a family cruise around Long Island Sound. That was 50 years ago, and I have to say it has not changed much. The interior is still a classic New England tavern, lots of small rooms that ramble through the ground floor and dark wood with nautical decor. outside was a small patio where we chose to sit, since it was a lovely summer's day. Pretty sure that the menu has been updated though, and we all enjoyed our fried clams, potato cakes and salads. New England is known for traditions, and we were not disappointed.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

I recently moved into Essex; the Griswold was the first place I went out for dinner to. Upon walking into the dinning room I was taken by its commitment to its heritage, dating back to 1776. It was a Friday night, and the place was packed. Yet, service was accommodating and steady. Their Revolutionary Ale is the quintessential English pale ale. For dinner I had the Rack of Lambs; they were mouthwatering. My experience was an absolute delight. Great introduction to the eateries in Essex.