“Good food and fun music”

Griswold Inn ~ Dining
Ranked #1 of 17 Restaurants in Essex
Cuisines: American, Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in the “storybook” village of Essex mere steps from the Connecticut River, this 1776 landmark offers three distinct dining experiences. “Historic Dining” is offered in four handsome rooms - The Covered Bridge, The Gun Room, The Library and The Essex Room – where a renowned maritime art collection fills the walls. The Inn’s New England heritage and connection with the sea is apparent in the classic seasonal cuisine offered; diners may enjoy a more contemporary culinary experience in the stunning wine bar featuring tapas-style dining and an extensive selection of wines by the glass; tavern fare is offered in the atmospheric, award-winning Tap Room where lively music rings out nightly. Patio dining is an option May through October, weather permitting. Lunch and dinner served daily, Hunt Breakfast on Sunday.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I liked the food which was yummy. I had the heirloom tomato salad and soup and it was yummy. I really enjoyed the sing along in the bar singing old sea shanties. So much fun!

1  Thank jmordecai

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I thought being sick after a meal here last year was not as a result of the food, but after both my husband and I ate the clam chowder (the only thing we both ordered) -- which was nothing special at all -- we were both very sick the next day. Twice bitten -- I will never eat food here again.

1  Thank TATEaston
grisresponder, Owner at Griswold Inn ~ Dining, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

We note that the most recent visit you are commenting on was in August, one of our busiest months of the year! Our authentic New England Clam Chowder, for which we are known, is one of the most popular items on our lunch, dinner and tavern menus. As we serve many bowls of clam chowder on a daily basis, we are surprised to learn of this unfortunate experience as, thankfully, no one else reported a problem. That being the case - two people is too many! We are sincerely sorry and hope, given some time, you will consider giving us another try.

Respectfully,
The Paul Family

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our family stopped for lunch at the Griswold Inn in Essex, Connecticut. We had our small dog with us, and we were able to sit at a lovely table on their patio (with puppy napping beneath the table).

Our server could not have been more welcoming and efficient. The food was absolutely marvelous. My daughter had a great quiche, I had a wonderful, imaginative fettuccini, and my son-in-law had a clam dish. The food was fresh, beautifully prepared and served quickly and nicely. I could see the interior restaurant was very attractive and would also be a lovely place to dine in the cooler months.

The Inn has a charming gift/book/curio shop directly across the street, and the town is probably the prettiest of the New England coastal villages. We walked a few blocks to the water, where there are boats offering cruises of the area. The homes and gardens in the surrounding streets are absolutely beautiful.

If you are planning to spend any time in New England, I would most definitely recommend a visit to this wonderful, old inn and a walk or drive through the town.

1  Thank Sarah v
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We went to the Griswold Inn with some friends from the area. We went to dinner and sat in the library room (there are a few rooms with tables). Dinner was fantastic and the ambiance was great. We ended up going back for dessert a few hours later and although the kitchen was closing, they stayed open to make us dessert. Would definitely recommend if in the area!

1  Thank Jessica C
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The Hunt Breakfast had plenty of good food for a Sunday Brunch. The service was very helpful and friendly. Our server had plenty of suggestions for us as first time visitors concerning what was special.
The food was a typical brunch buffet. It is well done. A good experience.

1  Thank Paul_from_VA