“Fun place-Great food & Service”

Black Seal Seafood Grille
Ranked #6 of 17 Restaurants in Essex
Cuisines: American, Seafood
“Fun place-Great food & Service”
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Don't pay attention to the negative reviews..Some people are never satisfied and are usually looking for something for nothing. The Blackseal is the place to eat when visiting downtown Essex

Seattle, Washington
“Great pub fare!”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My family stayed in Essex for over a month and Black Seal was the best place for lunch, dinner and take out in town. We ate a variety of dishes from their amazing turkey reuben on a buttery croissant to the fish. We had consistently delicious food, friendly service and prompt take out. Faves: Asian salad (excellent); Turkey Reuben; Clamstrips; anf French Onion soup. One can enjoy at nice draught beer at the "Sail Loft" too.

• Visited July 2011
Haddam, Connecticut
“DON'T ORDER SEAFOOD”
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Despite the fact that this place is called a "seafood grille" if you want a decent meal, DON'T order anything from the sea. We ordered the shrimp cocktail appetizer and I had the scallop casserole which were both the worst we've ever tasted. The seafood was not fresh at all. It had a fishy taste and was completely rubbery (not to mention that there's nothing casseroley about the scallop dish - it would be more aptly titled extremely salty scallop soup).

Additionally, although the server was friendly overall, when he saw that I hadn't eaten any of my meal and didn't want to take it home with me, he asked if there was something wrong with it. I told him it didn't taste good and he didn't do anything. He didn't apologize or offer any sort of substitute despite the fact that the meal cost 20 dollars. I also noticed that the woman at the table next to me who ordered the same dish didn't eat any of hers either.....

Although the seafood portion of the meal was inedible, my meal companions both said their hamburgers and sandwiches were decent (although not marvelous). On the whole I wouldn't recommend going unless you were sticking to drinks at the bar. It was a total disappointment. I left hungry and thoroughly unsatisfied.

• Visited July 2011
Port Jefferson, New York
“local pub in heart of town”
Reviewed July 2, 2011

this is a pub in the heart of the village. after boating in from port jefferson ny we only wanted something light to eat and a beer. this was the perfect place for that. very casual
with local atmosphere. just right for us on that occasion. we would go back again.

• Visited June 2011
Middletown, Connecticut
“get a clue”
Reviewed June 19, 2011

went for dinner all we got was terrible food and lousy service. started off with shrimp cocktail wet soggy smaqll shrimp app was placed down between us no side plates offered. the tiny amount of cocktail sauce sucked. my wife had crab salad sandwich the toast was as hard as a rock. I ordered the clam strip dinner WHAT A MISTAKE !!
they were rubber prefrozen garbage when the waiter stopped by one of the few times I didn't have to trip him to get another beer I asked him if the clams were supposed to be fresh he said he didn't know and would ask the CHEF. Believe me the only chef in that building is chef boyardee . When the waiter came back he informed me that they were freshly frozen. I ate a small amount waitress took the rest away and asked if I wanted them wrapped up I told they were lousy and she just smiled. when we got the bill the waiter let me know he took a beer of wow 3.75 beer for a totaly lousy disgusting meal. I mean really frozen clams in a quaint shoreline town like Essex.

• Visited June 2011