“Silvia's - BEST Restaurant I've Eaten At - Around the World!!!!!!!! Enfield, Conn??????”

Silvia's Gourmet Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 114 Restaurants in Enfield
Reviewed April 20, 2017

So, I'm now saying this is the best food and service I have EVER had in many places around the world!! and it's in Enfield, Connecticut??? I ate here in January but it was too big of a hurry on my account. No pictures and did not get to enjoy the fullness of this place as I just did!!!! All of my former Trip Advisor critiques now pale in comparison!!!! That's a mouthful!!!.... but it's a Truism!!!!!! Great location between Hartford and Springfield..plenty of parking and right across from a very nice public park!!!! I started out by meeting and talking to Silvia, quite an impressive person!!!! She has won so many National Awards for her culinary expertise that is almost seems like a fairy tale!!! but it isn't. Read the invitation to be the White House Chef!!! I have uploaded a plethora of awards and citations Silvia has captured during her career as a Nationally recognized exemplary chef!!!..... I started out with a carafe of Romanian wine... excellent choice!!! After the wine, I was delivered a warm, homemade, just out of the oven raisin bread with butter.. the best ever!!!! Next I was served a huge pot of Romanian soup. It was enough for a meal and it tasted unbelievable!!!!!! Next was the house salad with the greatest dressing!!!! So far I was out of my mind tasting this great spread of food!!!!! Next I tried another Cab wine and it proved to be a winner for me!!!!! Service so far was excellent!!!!! Next came the Romanian Holiday spread featuring lamb!!! It was enough for a family of 4 and it tasted delicious!!!!! It had sausage, rice, lamb, potatoes, sauerkraut in a divine sauce!!!! I got up to walk around and took several pictures of her awards, including the correspondence with the USA White House....please read these!!!!! After reading this, I would probably travel several thousand miles to sample Silvia's expertise in preparation and cooking this food!!!!!! Finally I had a warm, chocolate dessert that Silvia just made!!!! I have NEVER experienced such a tasty and decadent meal before, prepared by a true expert!!!! People who read what I write on Trip Advisor....HAVE to try this place!!!! It is that good. I just spent the past 4 weeks in Bangkok eating the best places. Also I have spent a lot of time in Buenos Aires recently and these exotic sites and cities do not hold a candle to the food preparation by Silvia in Enfield, Connecticut... as strange of a boast as this might seem. My other server was Cory Sartori, a server dedicated to making sure my experience was truly an exceptional one!!!! I have nothing but a smile and thanks to all the people at Silvia's who made this such a great "foodie" adventure!!!! Please give this place a try, especially if you are within the area!!!!! You are missing out if you don't and please let me know what you think!!!!!!!!!!

3  Thank gary c

Reviewed April 7, 2017

Dinner at Silvia's was fabulous, it was like going to a relatives house for dinner, home cooked, warm and inviting. We truly enjoyed our meal and will go back again soon! I had the Polish Dinner and it was old school and delicious, my husband had the Romanian Fish Platter and shrimp, scallops and fish melted in your mouth.

1  Thank Susan K
Reviewed April 1, 2017 via mobile

My aunt heard grand reviews of Sylvia's so we made it a family dinner night. She called and made a reservation a few days prior for 11 of us. We reviewed the menu prior to going and were excited to try many of the different dishes. When we arrived the wait staff appeared as if they didn't even know we were coming. They then were trying to fit 10 grown adults and 1 smaller teenager at a table that can comfortably fit 8 adults. We were waiting on getting menus when the staff told us there's only a buffet. Sylvia herself told us the buffet had all the options of food that were on the menu. This was incorrect. There was an assortment of food, but many of the dishes we wanted to try were not available and they would not allow us to order off the menu. A lot of the food at the buffet seemed as if it had been sitting there for a while, was stale, and there was paper plates for the desserts! When the bill came out we were surprised to see how expensive the buffet was ($24.50 per person). You think we could've gotten real plates for dessert for that price? The food was good but definitely not worth that price. To top it off they wrote out the bill and neglected to write that CT has a 6% meal tax, but added it to our check without writing the price of the tax down. Their advertising is misleading, the food is not all that it's cracked up to be, and the prices are outrageous for what you get.

2  Thank AmyLDiaz92416
Reviewed March 18, 2017

My wife and I have dined at Silva's before, but haven't been back in many years, shame on us. Located just off Rt. 5 in the Thompsonvile section, it is easy to locate with convenient off street parking.

The dinning room can be arranged for many types of events, but offers a home like atmosphere. The menu is complete with many different offerings, but her specialties are European special dinners including Romania, Italy and Greece to name a few. The dinner price includes soup, salad, entree and dessert and with an ordinary appetite, you can take half the entree home. My wife had Romanian roast pork, served with potatoes and vegetables while I had the Romanian special dinner which normally incorporated roast pork, stuffed cabbage, kielbasa and small sausages, sauerkraut and potatoes. Here is the neat part about the restaurant, Silva comes and greets her patrons and takes your order. In our case since my wife was having the pork, she substituted a veal schnitzel for me, so we could share. The schnitzel is also available in chicken. This made the meal even more memorable. Accompanying it was a glass or red Romanian wine, slightly sweet and paring well with the meal. The soup is served in a large serving pot from which you serve yourself and we ended up with two bowls full. The salad for two is also served by yourself. Dessert is a small piece of one of their specialty cakes, in our case a brownie with a topping possibly of cream cheese swirled with chocolate. In addition to dinner they are open for lunch with similar meals as well as sandwiches and other lunch items. We're sorry we've stayed away so long and plan to go back more often.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed March 17, 2017

Silvia's is an icon of the past in many ways, serving homecooked food with lots of love. You feel like you're stepping into her home, and she is very intent on you leaving well-fed, happy and feeling like the Romanian food is your new favorite. Her breads, entrees, sides and wines are excellent. Really, the younger crowd seems to hang out at the bar on an evening.

Good to call for a reservation, because the hours can be less than regular. But Sylvia will always accomodate.

And, she is very much a part of the Enfield community, even making her food available for the local farmer's market by the pond, and at the Town Green for the annual Taste of Enfield.

Date of visit: August 2016