“Decent digs”

Ranked #4 of 22 Restaurants in East Lyme
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Flanders Fish Market is Connecticut's largest full-service Restaurant and Award-Winning Fresh Seafood Marketplace, recently inducted into the CT Hospitality Hall of Fame and voted 'Best Seafood' 2017 runner-up in Connecticut Magazine. Seafood is our specialty, but we offer our guests something for every taste, as taking care of our patrons is why we've been in the business since 1983. Whether you'd like us cater your special event on our custom clambake trailer, order take-out, or dine with us in either of our dining rooms, outdoor patio, at our bar, or enjoy an intimate private dining experience at our Chef's Table, we keep it FRESH. Period. 7 days a week. And with our recent renovation... we look pretty fresh, too.
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I had fish tacos and it was pretty bland. Price was fair and Sunday Buffet had a great selection of various fish. Service was excellent! Kid friendly.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

This used to be a terrific place for a great fish dinner, but recently the wait staff has not bee as attentive and the fish has been dry.

1  Thank SherryT900
Reviewed June 19, 2013

So my wife and I live in town and haven't been to the Flanders Restaurant in years (last time wasn't memorable). So we didn't want to go far on Saturday night and thought we'd give it a try again. Well they weren't as packed on a Saturday night as we expected...don't know what to think of that! We were seated (the hostess wasn't managing the line very well) and promptly greeted by our server who informed us that she was in training with ???. OK, no problem, everybody has to be trained. So we ordered and our soup came soon after. We love the Lobster Bisque here!! We, the low fill bowl was delicious, although it had TWO pieces of lobster and it was NOT hot at all. OK!! Our entree's came and my fish and chips was very good, nice light and flavorful breading and the sweet potato fires were good as well...once again, they could have been hotter. My wife's coconut shrimp was good, but she found it a little sweet.
Unfortunately we never saw our servers again!! No checking on how our meal was, no drink refills and to get the check we had to flag down someone else. The server we flagged down realized we were disappointed and she did offer us dessert, but it was too late...we had a fresh made pie at home. No, we actually wanted service!! She explained that our servers had switched stations...OK, but what about the patrons at the old station? No one thought to figure out what they would do?
So, it looks like it will be some time until we try Flanders again. Perhaps others have had better experiences!! The food was good, although mine could've been hotter. The service was POOR though, right from the hostess on down. The food was decent, so that saved us from giving it a 2 star rating!! I think you could make better choices in the area from what we experienced.

1  Thank PfredIII
Reviewed June 12, 2013

For my son's birthday we reserved the children's birthday package. When we arrived the room was already set up with lemonade in kids cups, place settings and a wooden spoon for each child. The children sat at the demo kitchen and the parents had the rest of the room with table settings.

Chef Tim came out promptly and greeted us. He chatted with my son and showed him various things. Once all the kids had arrived they signed an apron for my son and sat down. Chef Tim had my son go behind the demo kitchen and help him cook up appetizers for the parents. We didn't have any problem seeing because the demo kitchen is rigged with camera's which are connected to TV screens mounted to the ceiling. Great way for us to watch without crowding.

After the apps were done a server came out and took orders if the parents wanted to get a meal. I ordered some clam chowder and clam fritters, which turned out to be huge. I ended up taking some of the fritters home. My husband had the calamari which was crisp on the outside but tender on the inside. My older son had the clam strips. He wouldn't share so I think they were good.

The kids, meanwhile, were making their pizza's. Chef Tim had reviewed the toppings available with my son and was kind enough to go into the main kitchen and bring out anything that my son wanted that was not already available.

While the pizzas were in the oven the kids toured the kitchen with Chef Tim, which they enjoyed alot. Even my 18 year old wanted to tag along for that. After pizza Chef Tim gave the kids 6 oz paper cups with ice cream and laid out the toppings for the kids to do their own.

Chef Tim was awesome with the kids. He has a ton of energy and was very patient. He was such a hit that some of us parents are now thinking we want a grown up version of the kids birthday party for our next birthday. Our husbands will settle for a few cooking classes.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have stopped here twice so far, and it has been good both times. Not fantastic, but good and seemingly reliable. I had the Lobster roll for lunch the first time and it was decent. The second was the Fish and Chips, also good. Maybe I just haven't hit anything out of the ordinary yet. I would go back basically because I know what to expect.