“Good breakfast, one of very few places in the immediate area that is open for breakfast during the week”
Review of The Shack

The Shack
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in East Lyme
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We were vacationing in Niantic and looking for somewhere different to try for breakfast (we had already been to Charlie's several times). After driving around Niantic and East Lyme a bit, the Shack was the only sit down restaurant we found to be open on a weekday, even in prime summer! We got there at 11 so we could get either breakfast or lunch. 3 of us opted for breakfast, 1 got lunch. All were happy with our meals. It was a busy place even on a weekday, so i imagine if must be very busy on weekends!

• Visited August 2014

Groton, Connecticut
“Plan B”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Our group of 9 adults and 1 toddler hoped to share a picnic breakfast @ a local state park; Mother Nature brought Plan B into play. No reservations are accepted so we took chance by meeting @ The Shack. Incredible the people constantly lining up to eat at this restaurant. Once seated, several tables were pulled together, the ordering and receiving of meals went smoothly. Our one server did a fabulous job and we all were pleased with her attention and accuracy. This took place on a Sunday mid-morning time frame and the restaurant was slammed from our arrival to our departure. Clean and very reasonably priced while offering quite a variety of meals. Family and friends made up the 10 seats required.

• Visited June 2014
East Lyme, CT
“Great Breakfast”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

If you want a great breakfast, go to the Shack. I just read that it has been around for 25 years, but that must be under the present owner because it seems like a lot longer. I had the Popeye Benny's which come with home fries. The eggs were just right and the spinach and sauce were great. The home fries (without onion if you ask) are the best around. The only thing that I never liked about The Shack are the attitudes of the waitresses. They do their job and serve you well, however the are definitely not the friendliest bunch. They have been like this for years which doesn't seem to hurt business, but the "grouchy crew" needs to change!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank VinMar_10
Big Horn, Wyoming
“Must Get THE MESS”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

This is the exact kind of place you would see featured on the show Diner's Drive-ins and Dives. Its a cozy little hometown restaurant with friendly service and a good menu variety. If you are looking for one hell of a breakfast or some food to soak up that Saturday morning hangover, you must get the mess. I placed a bet that I would be able to finish mine and....well...that didn't happen. I ended up buying everyone' s breakfast. Anyways, the combinations of cheese, eggs, meat, potatoes, and peppers was perfect and smothering it all with a side of country gravy really brought the entire meal together. You will not be able to move after eating this bad boy! Unfortunately I was just in town for the weekend so I did not get to try any of the other menu items, although I would love to stop back in again to try something else.

• Visited February 2014
Briarcliff Manor, New York
“Wish there was one of these in my town!”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I love this place. It's inexpensive and the food is awesome...and they give you a PILE of food. There's another one located in the Groton, CT area, too -- I only wish there was another one in my neighborhood -- although maybe it's better that there's not -- I'd eat three meals a day there! Terrific value for the money. Will definitely go back when I'm in the area.

• Visited June 2014