“Amazing Value and Food!”

Twin Pines Diner Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 65 Restaurants in East Haven
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Meriden, Connecticut
“Amazing Value and Food!”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We first learned of this restaurant several years ago through the Entertainment Book. Being a native of New Jersey, I've almost always been terribly disappointed by Connecticut diners: the food often isn't that good, the prices are too high, or both. But caught in the East Haven area at dinnertime a few years ago, we decided to try it. The variety on the menu was typical of most diners, and the value was excellent; however the food, although good, was far from the tastiness of most New Jersey diners. In short, it was better than average for here, but nothing to write home about. (The service, however, was friendly and good quality.)

Fast forward to January of this year: again we were caught in the neighborhood at dinnertime, so we thought we'd try it one more time. I decided to have the prime rib Saturday dinner special and was blown away. Starting with wonderful house-made clam chowder, followed by a large salad, I was prepared for an average prime rib: NOT! This cut was very large, flavorful, and cooked to perfection! The homemade dessert (one of about 15 or 20!) was wonderful too, and the most amazing part was the check: about $16 for this feast.

I figured it had to be a fluke, so in March we tried it again. I ordered the exact same meal, and found it to be just as good as the last time. Needless to say, this is now one of my favorite eating places! It's not quite as splashy in the decor area as the NJ diners, (in fact, it's a time warp to 1976) but the food and service are just as good. Finally I have found a place here that feels like I'm back in my home state!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank CTBuzz

Branford, Connecticut
“Always good...”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Typical diner but the food is always good, the place is always clean, the staff is friendly...and they ask...how was your meal? Never trust a place that doesn't ask you. The menu is extensive and you can always find something you like. The full dinner meal specials are nicely priced. The hours are good too...A+

1 Thank Veritas01
Connecticut
“Food Good, But Service not so good”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

The food overall was above average. The service was below average. When asked what the choices of certain potato or vegtables we were told " It's in the menu take a look" the meals did not all come out together, Desserts were offered, but no coffee or tea. The waitress also wanted us to pay our bill so she could leave for the day.

• Visited February 2012