“Food exceeded only by the service”

Sandpiper Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 71 Restaurants in East Haven
Cuisines: American, Deli, Seafood
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 23, 2018

I rarely take the time to write reviews for Trip Advisor. But I am compelled to share my experience with the Sandpiper.
My husband and I flew from North Carolina to New Haven for a graduation. We arrived at lunchtime and decided to eat at the Sandpiper Restaurant. What a fabulous place!! It is right on the water with its own sandy beach. It has outdoor seating as well as scenic views from the large windows for indoor dining. Clean, bright, and oh so friendly service!
And the food!! If you want seafood, this is the place to go! We both ordered whole clams and were blown away by the size of the portions. The clams were perfectly fried with a light batter and couldn’t have been fresher.
After attending the graduation, we returned to the New Haven airport only to learn that our flight had been delayed. Since we had already turned in the rental car, we hopped in a taxi and went back to the Sandpiper. This time my husband had a steaming bowl of creamy clam chowder and once again, I had the clams. If possible, they were even better than the first time!! We were warmly greeted by the owner and our former waitress from 4 days earlier.
We had about an hour or so to eat and then we needed to take a cab back to the airport to catch our flight. Our waitress graciously offered to call the cab for us when she gave us the check. We went to the front of the restaurant to wait for the cab, but it didn’t come. The waitress called again and was told it was on its way. But it never came. I started to panic thinking we were going to miss our plane. The owner saw my distress and asked me what was wrong. When I told him our plight, he told me not to worry and he drove us to the airport!!!
So if you want fantastic seafood, lovely beach views and unheard of service, don’t miss the Sandpiper!! It will always be the highlight of our trip to Connecticut.

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank Rachel M

Reviewed April 11, 2018 via mobile

My date and I went to the Sandpiper for the special of the week only good from 4 to 8 on Mon thru Thursday It was for two shrimp dinners with fries or baked potatoes and a salad. For 29.95. To It was well worth it and was enjoyed by both of us. I reccomendvthisbplacevto everyone !!

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank poppy843
Reviewed March 3, 2018 via mobile

Have had many meals here. Lunch and dinner. Food always hot fresh and delicious. Beach across street to relax at after meals.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed January 22, 2018

Everything here is excellent. It is directly across from the beach. The food and staff is always good

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed December 20, 2017

A little disappointed in the fried calamari. While it was hot & crisp and tender, it was rather bland and really needed the sauces that came with it. Ordered a Cosmo and it came with just the rind of a lemon; asked for a slice of lime......took a while to get it, but the drink itself was good. Hubby had fried clam strips which he enjoyed. I had the fried shrimp and they were very good as well. We usually go to Dino's in North Haven for fried fish and I must say that for the price, the portions at Dino's are much larger.

Date of visit: December 2017

Been to Sandpiper Restaurant? Share your experiences!