“New Owners, New Start”

Dining options: Reservations
Connecticut
“New Owners, New Start”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I have been going to the Beachhead since I was a kid because it is within walking distance of my parents. In the last 10 years or more the service and food have been HORRIBLE. It was expensive, the waitstaff was rude, the owners were awful.

They now have new owners or management or something and it is truly a different place. I had the lobster roll. Pretty standard normally but they put it on a nice potato roll and the French fries are AWESOME. Very thin fries with some skin left on with sea salt. The coleslaw was great too. I requested extra butter and for some reason it was a bit lemony which I do not like but most people put lemon on seafood so maybe that is their thinking.

Everyone else liked their dishes as well. Our server and busgirl were super pleasant which was a remarkable change from the last 10 years were they were just plain rotten. I would say the menu is a bit limited but there was something for even the non-fish eaters. I am looking forward to future visits.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank angg321

Branford, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“J&P along with B&C”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We went there as two couples as neither had been there in over 25 years. We both remembered the good food, the crowds in attendance, and the reasonable prices. Times have changed. The food was rated poor by one, ok by two, and good by one. There were no crowds on a Wednesday night. There were only three other booths being occupied in the main dining room although we could hear a few voices in the bar. The price of one meal was $9.95 on line and $13 when the check came. In looking back at the web site afterwards it was shown on ctmenusonline.com so it was probably an outdated site. We all had non alcoholic beverages to start and then asked for refills. When the bill came we were surprised to find we were charged for the second round. There was a $10 charge on each check for four cokes for each couple. I have not been to a restaurant in a long time that charges for refills on non alcoholic drinks. Perhaps in upscale restaurants they do but the Beachhead is not in that category. This was especially disappointing since the glasses were half full of ice. When we left the restaurant we noticed as we drove by the Sandpiper restaurant at the end of the street there was not an empty parking space in the lot. I guess this said something about which restaurant was more popular. This was a disappointing experience for the four of us and we will not be going back.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank John A
“Worst service ever! And rude owner response!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We went to dinner on a Friday night when there was an Italian singer there. Our party of 4 arrived at 5:30 and after 30 minutes at the bar we decided to sit in the dining room and orderi our food. We were the first orders of the evening as there was noone in the dining room at that time. Soon other people came and filled up the restaurant and ordered their dinner.. We waited 2 hours for our food to arrive.. Everyone else who came in got theirs an hour before our entrees came out. We told the waitress but it didn't do any good. Other parties who arrived much later optimized to get their food. .Ours was nowhere to be found. When we asked if we could talk to the owner, a tall woman came to our table. When we said that we waited 2 hours for our food, she said she was sorry but just shrugged it off like she didn't care at all. It didn't make our food come any faster. We continued to wonder why we were invisible and nobody seemed to care. At least a half hour passed and our food came. When we asked the waitress why it took so long and why everyone else got theirs a hour before we did, she shrugged it off too. Then the check came without us being asked if we would like anything else. It was the most rude thing I had ever seen. They were telling us to get out! Not only had we waited for 2 hours to eat, but the management didn't do anything to rectify the situation. This was the worst experience I have ever had in a restaurant. There are so many wonderful restaurants where the service is good and the establishment is grateful to have you forgot to mention the drinks are over priced here. Don't waste your money at this restaurant.

took two hours to get our dinner

• Visited August 2013
5 Thank Paula I
Branford, Connecticut
“Great remodeling”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Went for the 1st time to the Beachhead since it reopened after the devastating storm last year. It looks bright and cheery and the new bar is a winner. Food was good. Pane cote was very tasty as well as the clams casino. Waiter was a little short with us sometimes but it didn't ruin our great time as we were celebrating 2 birthdays. Drinks were good as well and one friend said it was the best Irish Coffee he ever had. We will certainly go back again.

• Visited July 2013
miami beach, florida
“i really wanted to like the place”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

had not been to the beachhead since i was a kid living my summers on cosey beach ave. wanted so much to love the beachhead, but there were so many bad events, that i just couldn't. to start, why did we have to ask for water when all of the other tables had it already on the table, why did we have a bread plate if there was no bread offered to us? all of the other tables got it? we had full meals AND a bottle of wine..hmmmm. the apps took 35 minutes to come out on a thurs nite with only 4 other tables with customers. the lobster corn chowder was very good, but the fried mozz came out black on the outside (how can that happen when you put it in the fryer) and ICE cold. now another 30 minutes late wait and my fried clams came out (with beiiy's of course i am from ct!) and they were quite scrawney, not very flavorful . i didn't feel 100% after eating them for a day or 2.both meals seemed to be lukewarm like they sat somewhere for quite a while......hey, maybe it was me. the fish and chips came out with 4 very small pieces of incredibly thin fish and millions of fries. perhaps trying to compensatae for the lack of fish. meal completed, no complaints by us, no one knew my disappointment, and i smiled and said thank you to the stocky short lady in shorts and an oversized t-shirt behind the podium and she scowled at me! not even a thank you, come again, nothing.....but, she stood by the bar with "a puss on" the entire nite......on a hot summer thursday nite this place should be packed. 5 tables eating the entire extended time we were there. my advice - FIRE THE CHEF, FIRE THE MEAN LADY THAT GREETS YOU AND OFFER EVERYONE THE SAME THING - BREAD PLATES ARE MADE FOR BREAD - if you put them on the table then use them! i won't be going back unless i see a new chef and new management sign. and i really wanted to like the place. really i did....
ps i had emailed via the website more than a week ago with a question, still no response.....

• Visited August 2012