“Excellent pho in a family style, shared seating atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Pho 501

Pho 501
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese, Soups
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Utica, New York
“Excellent pho in a family style, shared seating atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

I really, really recommend this place. To anyone who like pho and anyone who hasn't tried but is interested in trying. Each day they serve one style of pho. Weekdays is usually beef, saturday is often chicken and sunday is shrimp. Weekdays they have spring rolls and weekends they have donuts. Don't be upset by the single soup menu because the soup is very good. Excellent broth and great cuts of beef and chicken. Served with bean sprouts, basil and mint if you want it. Plus lime. And if you go on spicy beef soup day, go for it because it adds a nice kick.
Don't be put off by the family style, shared seating. Sit next to someone/anyone because the space is very small. It is similar to many restaurants in many foreign countries so it may be unusal to you but it is kind of fun to meet new people. There is often a line at lunch and dinner times but it is worth the wait.

Cromwell, Connecticut
“Really good Pho”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Love this place. The broth is delicious and veggies are fresh. The neighborhood on the other hand is less desirable. I only wish it was nearby.

Visited July 2012
Stamford, Connecticut
“Very good bowls of noodles in a spare setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Ate lunch today, October 28, (a Sunday) at Pho 501. No menu, pay cash only and wait to sit (very busy). I liked all these aspects of my visit. The whole family seemed to be there, churning out bowls of noddles in chicken broth. Sunday's special is the Chicken pho, made with ramen noodles. This is comparatively mild (plenty of hot sauce available, though, if you prefer that) and comes with a big pile of bean sprouts (to drop in it). The quality is quite acceptable, and for $6 or so a bowl I did not expect more. The two Vietnamese guys with whom we shared a table were very nice and visibly enjoyed their pho, another plus.

I liked this place for what it is. Go there for a tasty, no frills bowl of noodles. If you don't like noodle bowls and you don't like paying cash and, maybe, sitting with some strangers (or taking out), go to McDonalds and have a Big Mac. But that would be your loss.

P.S. Note that Pho 501 closes on Sundays at the earlier of 1:00 p.m. or when they run out of hot broth.

• Visited October 2012
Greenwich, Connecticut
“Nice Soup”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

Had Pho for the first time this past Saturday - October 6, 2012. Went there around 2 p.m. and was greeted by a young girl who asked us "beef or shrimp". My boyfriend's mother asked for a menu, but we were told there was none available. Also, the sizes are small, medium, and large. I ordered a "pho bo" and found it rather tasty. Thank goodness I only ordered a medium, for even that was a rather large portion. A medium is around $7/8. As a beverage, I had an iced tea. I found the icea tea rather bitter with a slight peculiar taste. It was not that appealing, honestly. We had also tried to order the spring rolls advertised on the wall, but our young waitress told us it was only available on week days. Rather disappointing.

Upon leaving, I ordered another "pho bo" to go (soup comes in a one size container - about the size of a medium soup with a white box 'Chinese' food like container holding the noodles and meat. In another, small, clear bag, they add in the mint leaves (leaves had some tarnish to them), onions, and chili) and took 2 of their sesame seed donuts ($.75 each). The donuts are actually rather sweet and tasty. The inside of the donut has some sweet, orangy/yellow paste. The donut is a bit hard to bite into, but were a great little treat.

I definitely think they should create a simple little menu for customers who are not accustomed to pho, provide order-able additives to the meal, and provide better customer service to their clientele. I did notice that right down the street is another pho restaurant. I think I will try that one the next time I am craving some "pho bo".

• Visited October 2012
“Delicious!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

Best pho in the greater Hartford area thus far. The food tastes fresh & the beef (I always get beef pho) is extremely tender