“Rough start”

Reviewed November 4, 2012

There are newer reviews for Hartford Hotel & Conference Center

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Bad, getto fab, what did I expect its east Hartford ct. Non smoking was smelling like weed and cigarette. Rugs wow they needed a miracle clean. Had to stay here because we were evacuated from Middletown ct because of sandy " storm" And this was the only room that excepted pets ( felt bad for my pets :( ) never eva eva Eva staying in here. O it don't stop here it was a dirty place. Breakfast wow if I could put a picture ya would laugh it was terrible got there when it open all they had; white bread, English muffin, tangle orange ( that's getto) lol were my real og!!!???, coffee, Cheerios, corn pops that was it. If u are getto it's for u but if you are clean don't stay. GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK. this is worst then a motel can't u tell re read if u wish it will save u from making the same mistake that I did. I came from the getto but moved up so I know getto when I see it. Hope they change romana inn is known to be clean and nice well in PR, and DR so please pray that this happen in east Hartford ct. Rug, food, room, nonsmoking, stay

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I spent one night at this Ramada. We were back in Connecticut for another of his engineering exams. He once again had picked the hotel (you would think I would learn to peek over his shoulder more). At least there was no snow storm this year.

For our purpose this hotel was fine-one night someplace near the XL Center, clean and comfortable. They graciously allowed us an early check-in and a high floor-514 to be exact. Check in went relatively smoothly. There was only one young lady who was able to do check-ins while two others flittered around- I am certain they were from the sales department.

The elevator we took up to our floor would be great for Halloween-it could be decorated and the groaning sound it makes ascending and descending in addition to the jerky ride would make for a fitting Halloween experience. The long way to say the elevator is old and scary, jerks and groans.

So we go upstairs and as one has come to expect, the first of two keys doesn't work. Oh and neither does the second; It’s a good thing the kindly lady from housekeeping keeps a master key and lets us in. When my husband goes down to replace the keys the young lady from check-in informs him that they didn’t work because the machine date had not been updated. I’m lightly amused she didn’t know to just apologize and replace them.

The room was spacious and the carpet looked new-nice touch. The king sized bed was comfortable. The room was clean without unsettling mystery markings along the walls or furniture. Four framed pictures hung on the wall beside the bed-I liked the finish on the frames which complemented the significant two toned faux leather headboard. The room also contained a grey couch, low coffee table, desk and chair- a comfortable setting. We had requested non-smoking and non-smoking we got-delightful. There is nothing like stale cigarette smoke in a non-smoking room to tick me off. On closer inspection the fixtures were an amusing miss match of rickety and what the decorator hoped would appear- high end finishing. There was a lamp on each bedside table; they were quite attractive. The floor lamp was nondescript. The cumulative effect of every lamp switched on didn't provide enough lighting for my husbands reading. If this were entirely a trip for pleasure I don't think we would have noticed. A big screen television (most men would give a nod of approval) sat atop a very rickety credenza which would house a microwave and mini refrigerator had housekeeping been directed to place them there. I couldn't pout because we had an early check in and had not requested either item before check-in. One was brought up quickly once requested by an unkempt but helpful middle aged man. The chipped door of the credenza teetered off it hinges and we were afraid it would fall off altogether-thankfully it didn't. The bathroom was an adequate size for one person at a time. The face basin was deep with an attractive faucet. It sat on a chipped black cabinet which had air bubbles under the paint. No exhaust fan which we ladies also depend on for privacy.

The room rate included a continental breakfast which we neglected to take advantage off the prospect of additional sleep was more attractive. We were told there was a restaurant adjacent to hotel and from our view we could see a Mexican restaurant-Margaritas, across the street. Our stay was short and comfortable. There are many options in the area I would be tempted to try another before returning to this one. In the entry beside the front desk hangs a plaque stating this hotel has a mobile diamond rating-this still makes me chuckle.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Yaneke
Reviewed October 26, 2012

A Wyndham traveler
ANTHEM
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Reviewed October 21, 2012

So, I must admit that I booked this hotel through Priceline....has I read the review prior, then I would not have stayed. I actually tried to figure out how I could get out of the stay once I read the review and was prepared to suck up the lost cash and just find another place of it was that bad. Well, I guess since I expected the worst, it wasn't so bad. Here for college visits, I basically needed a cheap place for a few nights. The building needs a lot of remodeling and appears to only operate at about 40-50% occupancy...my guess. The workout area is joke...looked very outdated and a hazard but lucky for me, there was a LA Fitness 5 miles away.

Based on the upkeep of the common areas of the hotel, I didn't dare to get in the pool. The room was fine...very basic but I didn't have the issue with mold or damaged wall. The furniture, tv and bathroom could use updating but overall, it was ok. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Here's the big question....would I stay here again....yes, if it was for the same purpose and price then I would.

Oh...it's right off the freeway too and across from a Mexican restaurant.

Skip the breakfast unless you just want juice and coffee.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Best Western Hartford Hotel & Suites
Hilton Hartford
Hilton Hartford
#2 of 12 in Hartford

Been to Hartford Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!