“Good place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in East Hartford
Florida
“Good place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Comfortable bed, very pleasant at the front desk. Very clean hotel. They had pleenty of available rooms. Would stay there again if in the area. Left before breakfast was ready so can't comment on that.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Front desk staff friendly, elevator had a bad smell. Room was clean. A few shady looking people hanging around the parking lot made it a little uncomfortable walking out there. Overall, it had the feel of a cheaper, 75.00/night hotel, but okay for an overnight.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ComfortPete, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites East Hartford, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Hi, Thank you for the review cmerrill119. I apologize for the state of our elevator during your stay. We are in the process of having it renovated and hope to have it finished soon.
Hartford, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

I was working in Hartford and did not want to drive home to the other end of the state. So I made a two night reservation. Upon arrival at 8:00 PM my room rate was incorrect from what I reserved at, through 800 Comfort Inn number. After wrangling with the desk clerk he admitted he was wrong, after 10 minutes. When I went into my room it appeared to be basic, nice, recently updated. (This property use to be a Welsey Inn back in the mid 90's and up till two years ago, it was a run down Days Inn). But the new owners seem to put a lot of money into it so I felt, why not try it as it was directly across the street from where I was working. Well, they changed the name on the building, but this place is infested with bed bugs! STAY AWAY!

I stayed here for two nights. The first night I woke up as I felt something on my leg in bed. When I threw back the sheets I saw a bug running off my leg! I was really freaked out. After not sleeping the rest of the night, I went to the Manager in the morning and was told it was an isolated incident. They would call an exterminator. They moved my room for the second night. (I actually went to the Ramada next door but they were booked). Moved to the 2nd floor the next night. I woke up with bite marks on my neck and welts forming the next morning. I never had this happen before and it really upset me a lot.

In the lobby as I had a cup of coffee another guest were looking at the welts on my neck as I could not stop rubbing them. I was asked what happened. So I told them my story and guess what? They also had the same thing happen to them and reported that they too had moved their room also.

This hotel has a problem! How can management allow people to stay in there hotel when they know of this problem? How do they sleep knowing they are putting their guest at risk? They just move guest around the hotel and tell them something that I am sure is a lie. I am shocked that the local health department is not investigating this place as this is a serious health issue. I wish they would.

I was so afraid of bringing a bug home that I left everything outside my house. Cloths, bags etc.... for a few days. My town health dept. told me to wash everything in the hottest water and hot dryer cycle. I threw out my duffle bag...just could not imaging those things coming into my house.

While this place looks attractive from the outside, STAY AWAY! This place is infested with bugs! The Comfort Inn is not Comfortable!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jim L
Hi,
TravelingMan42 was asked to leave our hotel because he was threatening and being verbally abusive to my staff and other guests during his stay back in May of this year and has since launched a smear campaign against our hotel. I have tried contacting both TripAdvisor and Travelingman42 numerous times to get this review removed from this site but no luck so far. Please do not base your decisions on wether to stay at our property or not on this review as it is completely false. Thank you.
hamden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

did not even get to the hotel
misunderstanding about the night -- called thursday, 6/21/12 to make one night reservation for 6/22/12-6/23/12... but clerk misunderstood and reserved room for thursday... even though i said over and over again -- reservation for friday night.
called friday morning to cancel friday nights reservation -- assistant manager said reservation was for last night!
i told him no, that was wrong. that his clerk was incompetent and made a mistake but he would not agree to refund.
called and filed disagreement with discover card
called customer services -- but because hotels are independently owned, there is nothing they can do.

have been choice privileges member for over 12 years but will never stay in any of the companies hotels again. ever.

be very careful when speaking with folks at the hotel -- the volume of the phone is low and the clerk makes expensive mistakes which are backed up by the assistant manager.

Room Tip: go to another hotel there are any in this town
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank reenajudd
Hi,
This reviewer called my hotel and indeed she did make a reservation but it was for the night of 06/21/12. I know this because I made her reservation myself and i confirmed the date with her before i ended the call. She then called the hotel the following day and asked to cancel her reservation after the fact. When one of my employees attempted to aid her she called my employee incompetent and kept raising her voice. I offered to refund her her money in good faith that it was an honest mistake on her part for the no show charge if she would just apologize to my staff member whom she had insulted. She then insulted me and hung up the phone.
Salt Lake City, UT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

When we take road trips we always arrange for at least our first night's stay ahead, but sometimes we're not sure where we're going to "end up" after a day's activities and have found the hotel coupon books that are often available at McDonald's that are near freeways are very helpful. They not only give you some names of paces to stay and their addresses, but have very reasonable rates. We found this motel using that book. It's just off the freeway and down a parallel side street. There are only two eateries close by, but in checking the on-line reviews (which were not good) we thought we'd just drive down the road and find something...there's nothing just "down the road". The lobby was crowded with people waiting to check in when we left, so we couldn't ask the desk clerk for advice. We ended up at a Burger King. We found out the next day that if you drive 10 minutes on the freeway to the next town - Manchester - that there are lots of options. The room it's self was on the small side, but the space was well organized. As you enter the room on the right side there is a sink area. It's about 6 feet long, with good lighting, and granite counter top. The toilet and bath/shower are to the left in a separate room, which I like. The small "closet" was in a large piece of furniture. In the past Comfort Inns have been decorated in orange - orange is my least favorite color, so it's nice to see that several we stayed at are now in shades of green and blue - this one included. The carpet seemed new, I think all the furnishings were new or close to it. There was a flat screen TV of a good size and a small fridge - no microwave. The bed was comfortable. The room was quiet. There was a nice fairly typical free breakfast in the morning. The staff was friendly. If we are in the area in the future we would choose to stay here again - next time we'd know where to get dinner.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

Stayed at this place for 3 nights. The rooms were clean and modern. Bed was comfortable and bathrooms and carpet were nice and clean. The breakfast area also has a cool, modern look. I didn't use the pool or the fitness room, though the fitness room looked pretty small with just a couple of treadmills.

The daytime management staff was friendly and helpful. The night person, however, lacked the skills to work at the front desk: she wasn't friendly and when I decided to extend my stay for another night, she booked it at the wrong room price was didn't know how to cancel the charges.

I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for something not close to the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank SomebodyAAAA
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

We made a last minute decision to visit relatives and this was the only property we could get a reservation. I saw an available room online which had 2 doubles for a certain rate but when my relative went over to the hotel, first her was told there were no rooms available, then when he said I saw a room on the website, the front desk person said there was a king handicapped room available but the front desk would not match the internet price that I was looking at when I called back for the reservation number. Needless to say, I will only stay at this property if necessary, as it was this time. Every place else was booked. The breakfast was OK, there were some hot items but they were soaking in water in the warmer.

Room Tip: Eventhough we had a room right off the breakfast room, it wasn't extremely loud.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Hilton Hartford
#2 of 11 in Hartford
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,039 reviews
Red Roof PLUS+ Hartford Downtown

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites East Hartford? Share your experiences!