“Not near its potential” 3 of 5 bubbles

Angelico's Lake House Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 22 Restaurants in East Hampton
Cuisines: American, Bar, Italian, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Connecticut
“Not near its potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

The menu offered a variety of options from which to choose. When the food arrived, it tasted okay, but both meals we ordered were swimming in too much broth-like liquid.

Service was okay, provided by an inexperienced server.

Set on the lake, with a lovely view, the restaurant's interior was a detraction, as the chairs were in dire need of cleaning.

There is great potential for this site, but is not evident now.

• Visited October 2013

Killingworth, Connecticut
“Dreadful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I'd been here a few times before for business meetings and had typical catered food. I knew the place was always packed so we decided to try it for dinner. Typically, this is a pretty casual place and we were dressed casually after a day outside. There was a big fancy event being held inside so we asked to sit outside. The hostess brought us to the table, noted that a chair was wet and never came back to clean it. It took nearly 20 minutes before we saw a waitress. Understand, we were not complaining and we're not in a hurry. The waitress freaked out and couldn't stop apologizing- this went on through our whole meal. She did forget my soup and it was now pretty darn cold outside. More apologies. Then she insisted on comping the coffee which was awful anyways. She kept wanting to comp desserts. We don't eat desserts. We told her it was fine. We were so uncomfortable we'll never go back. On top of that, the food was just so-so.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank MM8803
Enfield, New Hampshire
“Very good food, very slow service and shabby interior in beautiful lakeside setting”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

On the plus side Angelico's has a great lakeside setting and the food I had with a friend for lunch was very good. There is great potential here. However, we were given paper menus that were food stained and wrinkled (a clean copy in a plastic sleeve would be an upgrade). The seating on the porch was lovely, but the carpet was clearly stained and the brocade upholstery on the chairs was worn and dirty.

It seems like the restaurant is putting their focus into an upstairs function room that they reserve for weddings and on the day we were there, an outdoor barbecue and "Tiki bar". As a result we had to wait 45 minutes after being seated to even get a glass of water or to have our order taken. This was after trying to search down a waitress, 30 minutes after being shown to our seats. If this had not been a "favorite" place of a friend I was with, I would have left. The food was very good which was a nice surprise. Just don't go here expecting service or a meal that's anything but "leisurely" if you can overlook the shabby decor for the lakeside setting out the windows.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Connecticut
“Great location, poorly managed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Heard about it for years through their local marketing efforts but never had the opportunity to try them until a business lunch that brought me to east Hampton. It's rather sad, they have a wonderful location and it's a great building but it felt like you were in a candidate for "Resturant Impossible".
Located on a popular summer vacation lake you would think the place would be very busy in July. I arrived at noon to a deserted parking lot and empty Resturant. The inside needs renovation of its floor plan and furniture. Tables are too many, too small and too closely placed and the interior is dark perhaps in an effort to keep utility cost down. The service wear (glasses, plates, utensils) are all cheap and tired. They have an outdoor area with a Tiki bar that I guess was done to draw the evening bar crowd but it seemed to contrast with the location. A wine garden or beer garden with cafe tables, shading and landscaping would be more in form. Same with the interior, update lighting and furniture along with floor plan.

The service, underwhelming. What staff I did see were the most depressed, unenthusiastic looking group you could imagine. Nothing friendly about the service, no offer to refill beverages, just wanted the order so they could put it in and move on. By the time an hour passed there were maybe 4 other tables occupied (paltry for a place this size) and only one waitstaff working them. There is a clear failure of management in this operation.

The food, dreadful. There are too many choices on the menu which is usually a bad sign and probably involves frozen or prepared items. When ever I see this I play it safe and go for the burger. It was a hand formed patty, gray and flavorless placed on a flourly bun twice its size. It came with fries that were ok but only warm and not crispy.

Price, reasonable if it were good food.

It's always a shame to see a Resturant with such great potential fail. Given the right management and a few changes this could be the "go to" Resturant in an area that lacks great dining.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Edmitchell66
EAST HAMPTON, CT
“Do not recommend this place....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We went on the 4th. First the waitress brought me a drink in a dirty glass. It was disgusting. But that was not the end. I ordered an appetizer, and there was thin pieces of plastic in it. When I showed the waitress, she tried to tell me that this was not plastic but peppers. It was plastic. I had to pull it out of my mouth because it was not edible. They removed the charge from my bill, but the owner proceeded to yell at me and tell me that it was not plastic. An apology would have been nice. After I pulled a second piece of plastic out of my mouth, I got really upset. Not sure how this was my fault, but somehow this became my fault. Graciousness and professionalism were in order, but the management could not manage that.

• Visited July 2013