“Great Time”
Review of Gelston House

Gelston House
Reserve with OpenTable
Gelston House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: RT 149 AND RT 82
Avon, Connecticut
“Great Time”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Beautiful restaurant, incredible views. Very nice place for dining before or after a show at the Goodspeed Opera House. Be aware that they get very crowded, especially Saturday and Sunday afternoons with the post-matinee crowd overlapping with the pre-evening performance crowd. Would recommend being there no later than 6 PM for an 8 o'clock curtain.

Food is uniformly excellent, prepared to perfection. Portions are large and filling. Service is okay quality, but unfortunately due to the crowds and the rapid turnover, you sometimes have to wait for your server's attention. I've been there for lunch on days without performances, and the service is excellent.

My reservation through open-table was waiting for me, we were seated immediately, five minutes before the reserve time.

The room can be very noisy, due to the large crowds they serve. Again this was a pre-theater meal,on non-theater days the noise is much lower.

All in all, wonderful time, and recommended

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank MMouseMD

Naugatuck, Connecticut
“UGH!”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I went here with my boyfriend after visiting Gilette's Castle because it was close and said fine dining! I realized there was a bug-like worm, and other disturbing floating pieces in my water after I drank about half the glass. UGH!!!! The only reason I gave this a 2 rating is because our waitress was nice, and def overwhelmed. There were about 2 to 3 people working out on the packed patio and you could tell there wasn't enough staff! Never again! I'm getting sick writing about it!

• Visited September 2012
West Hempstead, New York
“The Gelston House should be shut down!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I came to the Gelston House last year for the first time. It was a beautiful location and the view spectacular. It was a long wait to be seated as the staff was too busy on their cell phones and gossiping in the corners, not aware of our presence! The Menu is so inconsistant from one day to the next! The food this year lacked....everything! When we finally were ackledged, the man was hard to understand. We asked if our favorite bartender was there, I was told she no longer worked there! Lori was the reason we spent our summer there last year! She took such good care of us and was the only proffessional that worked there. We watched her struggle all last year to make everyone happy! I have never seen someone turn a bad experience around so fast as she did with so many people! Her drinks were the best! The conversation fun and welcoming. However she was poorly treated and unappreciated! This year was sadly our last! The food was horrible, service....well no service, the drinks were poor! We brought our friends with us and bragged about Lori and Benny!The place was filthy and unorganized. The woman June was rude and cocky! She should not be working with the public! We come from Long Island every summer and thought we found our favorite spot last year! This year, the staff is horrible, food disgusting, place is filthy!!!

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Robert T
Buffalo, New York
“Slow service but food was good”
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

The food and the view were excellent however it took too long to get our food. A bit over priced. Would probably not return.

Tarrytown, New York
“Food was inconsistently prepared”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

1st, they ran out of mussels, then calamari came out overcooked and had to get another one. steak was ordered medium and then they overcooked it and brought another, which was way too rare. shrimp scampi, was missing scampi sauce, altho the shrimp were cooked to perfection. the view and the drinks were awesome!!!!

Visited August 2012