“A little piece of heaven”

Devil's Hopyard State Park
Ranked #3 of 26 things to do in East Haddam
North Stonington, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A little piece of heaven”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We ride our motorcycles here at least six or seven times a year, nice winding roads to navigate and quiet little places to pull off for a picnic or to just dip your toes in the brook. Pretty and serene

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Sharon M

Hartford, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“worth your while”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

DHSP is one of thr best places in CT to ride your motorcycle through, a fun place to picnic, nice hiking trails, awsome waterfalls and in general a great place to party. As in any area where you'll be away from your car, lock your car and keep valuables in the trunk out of sight before you arrive, there have been a few vandals cought there in the past. Well worth the drive, you won't be disappointed.

New York
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“One of the best public parks in Connecticut”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

This is my favorite park in Connecticut. Even if wasn't called Devil's Hopyard, there is something enchanting about the place, especially on an overcast day.

It is a great park to visit year-round, with children (please watch them carefully as there are no lifeguards!), as a couple, or alone. Due to an abundance of conifers, the park is green year round, and Chapman Falls is beautiful covered in ice. The holes supposedly made by the devil's hooves are quite a sight, even if we know better about what caused them. It is also a good place to see native plants, animals and mushrooms.

Visited January 2012
Dallas, Texas
103 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 234 helpful votes
“One Of My Favorite Places”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I came here often with my family as a child, and it’s one of the places I have to see every time I come home to visit. This year, my birthday was during our visit, and I chose to spend it here. We ate a picnic lunch by the stream, took one of the shorter hiking trails, and spent a lot of time by Chapman Falls. The falls aren’t that tall or spectacular, but they are beautiful. To me, they are the highlight of the park. Another of my favorite spots is the pine forest a short way down the trail from the covered bridge. It’s such a beautiful, peaceful spot. The park has a lot of natural beauty, but few facilities. If you are too prissy to use an outhouse, be sure to “go” before you get here. The park is rustic, not overly-developed, and I like it that way. Here, as much of the natural aspect of the park is preserved as possible. There are picnic areas near the stream, one of which is near the covered bridge. The current bridge replaced an older one, and I noticed it’s covered with graffiti already. There is a campground with primitive sites located near the waterfall. If you’re going to hike, it’s a good idea to go to the park’s web page and print out a map before coming. Some of the trails are not well marked. We once ended up on a different, longer, trail than we intended. The park’s website also has a good discussion of the geology of the park, including the potholes, called the “Devil’s hoof prints,” which are the subject of one of the legends about the park. There are a lot of local legends associated with the area. You can find some of them online, but for some you’d have to talk to people in the area. I heard plenty of them growing up here, and some of them are quite gory. There are several different stories about the origin of the park's name. What is known for sure is that there is historical evidence for hops having been grown in the area. The park can get crowded and noisy, especially in the summer. If you’re looking for a quiet experience in nature, try not to go during school vacations or on a weekend. I especially like being there during the fall for the foliage and in the spring when the mountain laurel is blooming.

Visited October 2012
Middletown, Connecticut
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Another jewel of a park”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Usually lots of room and not many people, as it's not on any main drags. great trails, amazing vistas, and some wonderful history.

Visited May 2012