“Gillette Castle”

Gillette Castle State Park
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in East Haddam
More attraction details
Owner description: This 24-room mansion has undergone extensive renovations.
Reviewed October 11, 2009

For a girls day out, 3 of us went to Gillette Castle. The grounds and views were beautiful in mid September. The castle was very interesting and craftily built. We even had a surprise visit from a long gone member of the Gillette Family. It was hilarious that myself and another friend thought we were speaking to a crazy lady in period clothes, but we finally caught on.

There are newer reviews for Gillette Castle State Park

Reviewed October 8, 2009

Truly interesting and unique building with history behind the man and the vision. The tour itself is tight in some spaces so taking little childen posed a bit of a problem. My 11 year old was fascinated by it. I would recommend taking the time to see this if you are in the area - for the view in itself.

Reviewed June 2, 2009

I stumbled upon this intriguing buildling high up on a hill overlooking the river we were about to cross by ferry. My children were young in those days and grudingly went along with mom as I explored our unplanned detour. We had been stuck in horrendous stop and go traffic on rte 95 going north during an annual trip to relatives in NH. I pulled out my map looking for back roads to travel so we would at least be moving. I noted the ferry crossing indicated on the map and left the long lines of cars for the unfamiliar. From the ferry we could see what looked like a castle. My curiousity got the better of me and when we docked on the other side of the river, we took another detour to the park to investigate. What a wonderful house! The wizardry in the finish carpentry detail -- I wanted, to the chagrin of my children, wanted to explore every detail. Sure its not your average colonial nor ranch but it is interesting to someone who loves the unusual. Its been maybe 20 yrs but I've not forgotten it. If you like parks, gardens, and spending a little time taking a guided house tour.. this may be interesting. If you do carpentry, build furniture, I think you will be impressed.

1  Thank nvafem
Reviewed January 25, 2009

This is a great place to visit and to take your kids! Or it's a great trip for adults alone or with friends and family. The castle itself is fascinating and it's worth the wait for the tour. But you can also go for the grounds as the castle is in a beautiful little state park right on the river. Bring a picnic lunch and spend the day. There is a small visitor center and a snack bar next to it but there isn't a lot of food available for sale when I visited in November.

Reviewed September 30, 2008

I found Gillette State Park while looking for things to do in the Hartford area over the weekend. The drive was beautiful and the views from the castle were even more so. You can go to the website to find out more about the history of the builder, so I will just say that I really enjoyed the trip. The gardens and trails are well maintained. Modest entry fee - ten bucks for two adults. Be sure to check out the woodwork. The owner had a workshop specifically for this. Door latches and light switches take on a new meaning.

After viewing the castle (once you go through you cannot go back through) there are plenty of paths and trails to check out. There were children there who seemed to be enjoying themselves as well as the adults, so I would have to say it is suitable for just about anyone. (I don't think it is handicap acceptable though) There is a small gift shop and a place for snacks with tables and chairs.

3  Thank Traci B