“Worth the drive”

Gillette Castle State Park
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in East Haddam
More attraction details
Owner description: This 24-room mansion has undergone extensive renovations.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

It was easy to find with GPS, and the area we traveled thru was beautiful. The price is easy on the wallet, which is always nice. I liked the video you could watch before entering the castle. Beautiful "home." Amazing story.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"picnic lunch"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed July 21, 2013

It may be difficult to find but it's worth the search. It's very affordable and well maintained. If you need a diversion from "touristy" attractions, this is the place!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I recently went to Gillette Castle State Park. I had been there before, but it had been a few years. For only $6 this is a treat although a little out of the way. Take the tour of the castle with it's hand carved doors and furnishings that were ahead of its time. The castle has a great view looking down the Ct. river from above. There is a pond with picnic grounds and many wonderful trails that I did not use due to the extreme heat, There is a visitor center with a 15 min. introductionary film and a snack bar on site. I would like to return during the fall foilage season. Turn right out of the Castle driveway and follow it down to take your car over the Chester ferry on the CT. river. You can then visit Chester, Essex or Old Saybrook on the other side.

1  Thank Clyde C
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Didn't even know about this place but stumbled upon it on a scenic drive through CT. What an unexpected treat. We really enjoyed the tour and learning about it's history. The grounds are nice and the castle is a real treat.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I had this place as "possible visit if I have extra time" on my plan while travelling in Mystic ares, and I am so happy now that I had this extra time! The castle is so cool, such an unusual architecture. Beautiful hilly grounds, trails - I wish I could explore them all. I did check the River trail - going all the way down to the river and the picnic area, step climbing on the way back which wasn't fun in 90 degree weather, but beautiful scenery worth the effort. There is a pond in the park, a few picnic tables around it. Visitor center's cafe surprised me with the pretty decent hot lobster roll. Will come back for sure!