“Breakfast at its Best” 5 of 5 bubbles

Whistle Stop
Ranked #2 of 14 Restaurants in Deep River
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Healthy
Good for: Kids, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Cute little eatery with lots of interesting food choices. We serve organic and farm fresh meals that are creative and nourishing to the soul! Kid love the kids meals and we cater to vegetarians-vegans. We go to the regional market ourselves to insure the products are the fresh and straight from the farm. We have an extensive black board that features and describes healing teas that change with each season. Each season we offer a class on Energetics of Food based on Traditional Chinese Medicine that will forever change the way you look at each meal! Once a month we do a dinner for charity. 100% of the funds go to do clean potable water projects around the world and Hedy (the owner) travels to many of these locations with Rotary clubs. If you are looking for decadent sweets our Cinnamon bun French toast or stuffed pancakes are amazing! We would love to cook for you so I hope you will stop by on your next travels! Peace and happy eating!
Colchester, Connecticut
“Breakfast at its Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Having been introduced to the Whistle Stop by friends over ten years ago, I remembered it to be a good place for breakfast with that special small-town charm. On a recent excursion to that part of the state I literally re-discovered it by chance and decided to stop in. It is everything I remembered and more. I chose the "Marseille" omelette. It is made with ham, radicchio, onions, and a garlic herb goat cheese to give readers an idea of the carefully chosen ingredients that go into each dish. I do not exaggerate when I say that it may be the best omelette I have ever tasted. I will be planning my next visit soon as there are so many wonderful menu choices to explore.

• Visited July 2013

Charlotte, North Carolina
“One of my favorite restaurants in the entire United States”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I have been coming to the whistle stop for almost 15 years. Whenever I travel up this way I always stop in to see what Hedy, eccentric owner, has to offer! She's a world traveler so her menus are often inspired by places that she's recently been.

Today's fabulous breakfast was a neat combination of sweet potatoes, barley, dates, apricots, almonds, spices, All topped with two poached eggs and hollandaise.

• Visited July 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Can't rave about this place enough, it is a true local gem. Been here now a few times with my boyfriend and mom/ family and I'm always dying to go back. A teeny kitchen with limited seating, definitely worth the wait if it gets busy!! The food is cooked with care and creativity and there are always mouth watering specials to choose from in addition to the items on the extensive menu. The cook also has fabulous teas that she brings back from her trips. I highly recommend going out of your way to try this place, you will not be disappointed.

• Visited May 2013
Middletown, Connecticut
“Best Breakfast, Hands Down”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Easily one of the best breakfast spots in CT, if you're a fan of O'Rourkes in Middletown you will easily love The Whistle Stop and all that it has to offer.

Everything prepared is gourmet to the utmost extent and there is a wide selection of delectable Egg Benedict options. My personal favorite is the "Neptune" which features poached eggs sitting atop toasted English muffin halves with deliciously seasoned Crabmeat.....all covered in their famous homemade Hollandaise sauce.

And that's just a taste of the normal menu.....the Specials are out of this world. A favorite of mine was featured during this past Memorial Day weekend. "Red, White, and Blue Stuffed French Toast" two hearty pieces of French toast stuffed with fresh bananas, raspberries, and blueberries. Topped off with freshly prepared whip cream. Heavenly.

The restaurant also has a great assortment of unique and interesting teas to accompany your meal. My favorite is Ginger Lemon Honey Teas, doesn't get much better than that.

All in all, this is an amazing restaurant. I cannot speak highly enough about the service, food, and culture that The Whistle Stop brings to the table. Take anyone and everyone you know there for a fantastic breakfast, brunch, or lunch.

• Visited May 2013
Middletown, Connecticut
“Exceptional lunch & breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

Few restauranteurs put as much creative thought into her cooking as the owner of the Whistle Stop. Healthy food that is prepared in imaginative ways. My wife and I have combed Connecticut for the perfect place for daily lunch or breakfast, and have found none that surpasses this, particularly with regard to the quality-price ratio. A charming atmosphere, moreover, nestled along the stream and in the lower Connecticut valley.

• Visited April 2013