“Not so great”

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Danbury
nj
“Not so great”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed overnight because we were attending a party nearby. Check in was friendly and quick, but the property needs an update. The halls smelled of chlorine and our room was heavily sprayed with a terrible smelling "air freshner". The room was okay, there was a small kitchenette, a worn looking sofa and chair and a flat screen tv. We could not believe how uncomfortable the bed was when we went to sleep. The hotel is right next to a busy highway so between the horrible bed and the noise we did not get any rest. In the middle of the night my husband actually suggested leaving and driving home. We will not be back and cannot recommend.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jamhog

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 14, 2011

This hotel is very comfortable and friendly, which was a relief to me as I had a 3 month work assignment and it was my home-away-from-home!. I loved that it was so close to the mall, and there are a variety of restaurants and supermarkets nearby. The location is also very handy for the highway. I have read other reviews mentioning the noise from the highway, however I did not experience this at all. I made use of the gym (two treadmills, one cross trainer and weights).

I think what made the stay was the staff above all else: particularly Ed on the front desk and the GM Susan who took the time to talk with me and learn a bit about me. Being away from home and from everyone you know for that long could have gotten lonely, but they made me feel welcome. Breakfast and meal times were always a pleasure as I was always great with a big smile and a 'how are you?'. I also found housekeeping to be very friendly, especially Rosie who went to the extra effort of ensuring my coffee, tea, toilet paper etc was always replenished and would clean extra well. While I was there a guest celebrated a birthday, and they arranged cupcakes for him and shared them with everyone at dinner. Very special!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Florida
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Stayed here for one night during a recent trip - great loc easy off of I-84 and close to shopping and restaurants. The room was clean, adequate and roomy enough. The TV had no on-line guide and changing a channel seemed to take forever. Tried to get on the internet and followed the directions but did not connect. We gave up on both and did not have the time to troubleshoot etc. If we had stayed for another night we would have reported both. Good variety for breakfast. Would stay again for convenience and price.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Coco1231
Michigan City, Indiana
Reviewed November 20, 2011

The Residence Inn in Danbury is conveniently located off I 84 and very near the Danbury Fair (Mall). However, it's location is also next to I-84 and there is traffic noise at night. Check in was easy and friendly. The free breakfasts in the lobby were self-serve and had a good variety of foods. The indoor pool and hot tub were great to use. The 1 bedroom suite was not very modern. The bedroom is cramped with little room around the bed. The light in the bathroom was very dim and the dressing area was also cramped. Get a room that faces the back of the hotel to reduce the noise level. Overall, it's an okay place for a short stay in the area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Brookfield, Connecticut
Reviewed November 16, 2011

During the inconvenient and uncomfortable time of the recent Noreaster in CT, residential power outages and complete lack of amenities at home, we once again found the complete comfort and feel of "home" in the always-accomodating and charming Residence Inn Marriott in Danbury. We never would have thought that it would be so simple to book our stay in an obviously busy time as this....but Susan and her staff somehow accomodated us quickly and welcomed us in with smiling faces (despite how truly busy and hard I knew they had been working with the events of recent days). I truly feel like this cozy and friendly atmosphere is what kept my husband and me from going crazy due to the complete inopportune effects of the Noreaster! We would never have stayed anywhere else other than here and will ALWAYS recommend this hotel to family and friends visiting in the area. The staff here truly delivers nothing but the best service time after time!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Murrieta, California
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We booked this hotel at the last minute through priceline.com name your price and got it for only $69 a night. What a deal!!! The hotel is clean and offers a free full breakfast every morning. The room was large with a kitchen that included a smaller full size refrigerator with ice maker, 2 burner stovetop, sink, bar area to eat, all of the dining ware and cook ware you'd need.
The queen bed was comfortable, there was plenty of storage space for our clothes as well as a good sized closet with plenty of hangers.
Our room faced the road which was a bit noisy but not a deal breaker. Next time I'll ask for a quiet room facing away from the road.
Staff here is very friendly.
I was so impressed by this hotel that I plan on staying at Residence Inns whenever I travel for leisure.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if they have one - not facing the road. There is some road noise but not enoug...