“The toilet backed up, they told me to fix it myself”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Danbury
Danbury
“The toilet backed up, they told me to fix it myself”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I checked into a room Wednesday because Sandy had knocked out the power in my home.

When I got there, I found the toilet didn't flush. The man at the front desk told me to come to the front desk, get a plunger, and clear the toilet myself. The plunger didn't do the job. There was now dirty water on the floor, which made the whole bathroom unusable. I called him again. He told me to come get some towels and wipe it up. I said that I wasn't just going to wipe toilet water around my bathroom floor with a towel. He then told me to come to the front desk (on the Lobby level; the room was on the third floor). I said no, I would check out.

The guy at the front desk called his maintenance man. He said, "The toilet in 306 isn't working again." The maintenance man, I was told, couldn't come until the next day.

When I told the man I wanted to check out, he said that his "system" was down, I'd have to call his manager. I called her just now (the second day since I checked out), and she said -- she'd reduce my charge by $100, so that I had only had to pay $60 for this experience!

If I could give this place a zero rating, I would.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kevin G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Connecticut
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I booked with some trepidation due to the negative comments here, but the location was convenient to a funeral we were attending so . . .

Frankly, I don't know what the problem is, unless those one-star reviews were paid-for hit pieces. The room we had was perfectly fine, clean spacious and quiet. The breakfast area is small but the spread was what you'd expect in a hotel in this tier. We didn't use the pool, but a heated indoor pool is a nice amenity.

Plus, the place is right across the street from an outpost of New Haven's Frank Pepe Pizzeria, world-famous for its New Haven-style pies.

Someone here wrote "not the best hotel I've stayed in." Well, duh! It's a Quality Inn. It's not the best hotel I've stayed in either, but it did the job.

Now I'm a member of Choice Hotels' frequent-stayer program, so that might have affected the room I was assigned. It might help to ask for a room on the third floor at the rear.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
qualityinndanbury, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback and also for being a member of our frequent stay Choice Privileges Program. We really value your response which validates our hard work and desire to continually improve the guest experience at our hotel. Thank you again.
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Hotel has a very unpleasant, musty smell from hallway to rooms. Both queen size beds had saggy mattresses. The air conditioning didn't work properly. The bathroom was old and stained. We moved one of beds and found food remains. There were bugs crawling on the wall. The nicest way to sum this place up is to say it is run down. A more straightforward way of saying it is that this place is a dump.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank RogersVA
qualityinndanbury, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for your feedback. We accommodate many guests each evening and strive to make their stay a satisfying one. We are sorry for your bad experience, and assure you this is not normal. We have looked into the issues you mentioned and want to assure you that we have taken steps to rectify them, including finishing renovating our rooms this past September. I truly appreciate your feedback and taking the time to share your concerns.

GM

Travelers are raving about these Danbury hotels

providence
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Where to start? Upon checking in I found the TV did not work in the room. went to the bathroom and discovered rust stains all over the toilet. The carpet in the room was wet. Upon checking the window, of my first floor room, I discovered it would not close properly nor lock securely. The clerk did offer another room but I had already decided the quality of this property was far below par. I chose to drive the three hours back home rather than stay here. The next day I discovered flea bites on my lower legs. Obviously from staying here as they do accept pets.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere else but here.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank dbro
Zanesville, Ohio
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Stayed here June 14 with 2 friends and 2 teens. Even though the room had 2 beds and a sleeper sofa I had to pay $10 extra for the 5th person. This hotel was nice enough, but I thought the price was too high for a week night. The TV was the nicest feature of the room. The bath was a little outdated. The beds were comfortable. The breakfast of ok, but only 1 toaster and the counter space was so small only one person could be getting their stuff and at a time. There were only a few tables. I would stay here again, but I was not happy with the price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 15, 2012

By this time almost a week into our trip I've adapted to prices in the densely populated Northeast, so $90 with tax for a basic Quality Inn didn't faze me. However I was put off immediately upon check-in to see a pool party getting started. That's the equivalent of not having a pool available on a weeknight when I expect to share the pool with at most some business travelers and a family or two.

The room was incredibly hot when we arrived, and it took hours for the air conditioner to catch up. There was no lock on the window, no light over one of the two beds (not a burned out bulb, but no fixture at all), and a safe taking up space in the room and taking up my time in the morning waiting for the charge to be removed before I could get my receipt.

While the room was cooling we made a trip to the very odd Stew Leonard's grocery store. I can't say the selection or quality makes a visit worthwhile, but the experience probably does.

Breakfast featured a waffle machine which is normally a plus, but the batter was made so poorly that the resulting waffle was too rubbery to be cut with the plastic knife and fork (which actually folded in half). I threw it away and made a decent breakfast sandwich from the egg and sausage patties

The review asks about room service, but I don't recall a restaurant other than the continental breakfast.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CorpsofDiscovery
Manahawkin, New Jersey
Reviewed June 13, 2012

The hotel is very close to 84 as the crow flies, but really a couple of miles out of the way when driving. I booked it online and got a senior discount (maybe $15) and then saw it was available for another $15 less. It was annoying but the discount books say "not good with prior reservations" and choice was giving $50 cards with two stays so I think it was Ok to stay with it. One of the staff (owner?) had a large array of jewelry that she was making and selling in the lobby. We were given a large room on the 3rd floor, lots of space but not much furniture in the room, but the bed was fine. The hot breakfast was OK also. The Bennigans next door was boarded up but there was a smaller Applebees across the intersection so we didn't have to go far to eat. Our room was the busy road side (motorcycles) but I slept well. Easy to get back on 84 going west. The indoor pool looked OK but very full of kids.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for room in the back away from the road.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple