“As good as ever”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
New York City
“As good as ever”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

With all due respect to MrsBerry, I found Deep's Trellis to be every bit as good as it has always been. Yes, it's true the ownership changed sometime in January or February of 2012. But thanks to the smarts of the new owners, they kept everything just the same as it was--which was always quite good. The menu is the same, the chef in the kitchen is the same, the waitresses are the same, the atmosphere and decor are the same.

So I think MrsBerry's less-than-pleasant experience had very little to do with the new ownership. Sorry she had a bad day.

We came for Sunday breakfast, and it was as good as ever--including service.

• Visited May 2012

“Breakfast Fast”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Nice place. Good food. Service is quick. Coffee good.

Visited April 2012
Danbury, Connecticut
“New ownership - not the same”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

This has been one of my favorite local spots. (see my previous review in August.) New owners took over several months ago - can't remember when, but most of the staff is different at this point. We've gone twice since the new ownership, most recently last Sunday. I'm sad to say the service was quite poor. We waited a long time for our order to be taken. The waiter refilled my husband's coffee cup and never even offered any to me and the waiter never came back after we received our food - ever. Our omelets were missing an ingredient we ordered. The worst was a hair in my muffin. After sitting for awhile, we just ate the omelets and flagged down another waitress about the muffin. She was most apologetic and ordered another one. I received my "new' muffin about 15 min later. Again, our initial water never returned. They were not busy at all, so not sure why service was so poor. Maybe just a bad day for that server. We did not get charged for the muffin, but maybe that's because the experienced waitress (who's been there prior to the new owners) took care of it. When paying the bill, I told the cashier about our experience. She offered a lame apology, then said "wait a minute" and disappeared in the kitchen. When she returned, she said it was the cooks fault about the missing ingredient in our omelet. I told her it didn't matter who's fault it was, plus it didn't make up for the lack of service. It's a shame. Hopefully, they will get their act together and realize service is important to their customers.

• Visited April 2012
Danbury, Connecticut
“Great food, creative recipes”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

A nice place to go for breakfast and you get to meet the locals! The portions are huge and creative...like the banana nutmeg pancakes with a special warm banana nutmeg sauce. I would have never put those two together but it works! There's usually muffins of whatever is in season, like pumpkin chocolate chip. YUMMY!!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Nuttmegg_9
New York City
“Most enjoyable breakfast experience”
Reviewed December 25, 2011

First of all, Thanks to MrsBerry for turning us on to this place.

My in-laws have lived in Danbury most of their lives, and it has never occurred to them to recommend Deep's Trellis to us when we come up to visit. But we found it through Trip Advisor (thank you!) And when we mentioned to the family we had breakfast here yesterday morning, they all responded, "Oh yeah, we know that... it used to be the IGA Grocery Store."

I didn't ask the history, but whatever it was--or is--I am so glad it's here, and that we went there for our Christmas Eve breakfast.

The room itself is most pleasant for dining. The colors are clean and bright--ivy green and white--and the facility itself is very clean and well decorated. The service was friendly, accommodating and attentive. This seems to be a very popular local place with families and children. I don't think there were any strangers here, except for us, that is. But we were treated no differently from the familiar faces!

As for the breakfast itself, they have an extensive menu designed to please just about anyone, and the food is served hot and fresh. But we were most impressed with the specialties that are noted on a separate printed daily menu. There were several holiday breakfast specials, including eggnog muffins (they do their own baking). I ordered the classic Eggs Benedict, which were served to order and were as delicious as I can recall anywhere (with perhaps the singular exception of the Lowell Hotel's Pembroke Room in NYC). My partner ordered the special Holiday pancakes--with walnuts and cranberries, which was generously shared with me. (Whenever we dine out, we more or less behave as if we were in a Chinese restaurant---lots of shared bites, and taster-plate-passing). And there was a lot of plate traffic across our table during this fine breakfast.

You're certain to enjoy your sojourn here, and leave feeling both well-fed and welcomed.
A most pleasant breakfast experience.

• Visited December 2011