“Has potential to be great, but very inconsistent”

Market Place Kitchen and Bar
Ranked #7 of 282 Restaurants in Danbury
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Local, organic, and sustainability raised ingredients.
Danbury, Connecticut
“Has potential to be great, but very inconsistent”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I've eaten dinner here many times and lunch just a couple of times. The farm-to-table is great and this is reflected in their changing menu. Some of the combinations are scary to read but delicious to eat! I've had a lot of luck here but know others who have been very disappointed in the service and/or the food. Recently I went on a weekend with my husband and some friends. Despite have reservations they seated us in the bar, which wasn't terrible just surprising. Our server was friendly and attentive, but unfortunately all of our meals were served barely warm. Considering they came to the table fairly quickly (which was great) this was a big surprise to me. Another surprise this evening was the charcuterie board we ordered. I've had this before and it was great. This weekend - despite being $19 which was WAY too pricey - it was sparse and actually had pickle and pimento loaf on it that looked like it was bought from the deli at Stop and Shop and they just piled up a few pieces and cut them in quarters. This was extremely disappointing even if it wasn't so expensive. Considering the inconsistency with every visit, I don't know that I'll be going back here. I want to like it - but it's too expensive to take it by chance.

Visited February 2014

Danbury, Connecticut
“Manhattan in Danbury”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This restaurant is wonderful. Three of us . We each had a different fish dinner.Salmon, tuna, and swordfish. After initial bite we were all rolling our eyes with pleasure and making mmmmm noises! The "green sides" that accompanied each dish was also first class. Don't be turned off by its location literally attached to a Car Wash. Doesn't matter. The place is gorgeous inside, and the wait staff excellent. Could not be happier that this restaurant is in Danbury!

• Visited January 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Tasty Salmon”
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

I am in town for a couple weeks and my colleague recommended this restaurant as I am very picky and a gourmet home cook.

The salmon was excellent and the lentils with the pineapple chutney delicious. I highly recommend it. Everything they make is with organic fresh ingredients including beef without hormones!!!!!!!

Bronx, New York
“Great dinner date”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This is our go-to place for a date night out. My husband and I have also brought friends and family for a great meal. One of our favorite places in Danbury!

• Visited November 2013
Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

NY
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Has the potential to be really good”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I had dinner here with my fiance. We heard so many good things about the restaurant that we were excited to try it. After my experience I'd have to say that the highlight of my meal was the winter sangria. It was really tasty. Other than that, not impressed. We started off with the pulled pork nachos. When I think pulled pork, I think bbq. It wasn't. It was dry and the ingredients were just piled on with nothing to "glue" them together (i.e. no cheese) and there was very little flavor. Since there was nothing holding them together they were messier than necessary and kept falling apart.

For main entrees we got the stuffed pork and the salmon. The side dishes for the pork (polenta slices, cabbage, and brussel sprouts) were all burnt. Now, I like my brussel sprouts roasted and crispy but these were plain old burned and not enjoyable. All of the burned food overpowered the rest of the dish. Similar issue with the salmon. We won't be coming back for dinner and I'm bummed because when I read the menu online it sounded like it was going to be very good.

I did hear that the lunches here are good so I would be open to trying that Also, the bar area seemed nice and based on my tasty drink I'd probably do a happy hour.

• Visited January 2014