“Enjoyable Meal”

Market Place Kitchen and Bar
Ranked #7 of 282 Restaurants in Danbury
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Local, organic, and sustainability raised ingredients.
Overland Park, Kansas
“Enjoyable Meal”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

All around nice experience. The decor is interesting with the brick walls and the wine wall. Service was very good, as I was a bit worried considering the previous reviews. The Lobster night on Thursday is had to beat. The corn chowder might be the single best soup I have ever had. A really complex taste and a couple of surprises. The mashed potatoes were also a highlight...

Pawling, New York, United States
“Appetizers made by Dr. Jeckyl, entrees... Mr. Hyde”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I don't think I have ever had such a conflicting restaurant experience in my life, and I dine out quite a lot, especially with my line of work. The atmosphere is great, salvaged wood walls paired with modern seating, the concept of a farm to table menu is close to my heart as I am a huge supporter of sustainable dining and businessess. The items on the menu are described in such a way that your mouth waters and a decision does not come easy! Service is good and attentive. We ordered an appetizer and entree each. My friend had the heirloom tomatoe salad and it was to die for, absolutely delicious (of course I tried it!) I had the wild mushrooms and goat cheese, also delicious. In addition, they served us olive and raisin breads with truffle butter and olive oil for dipping! I could not wait for the entree after trying the starters. I had the salmon served with spring peas, black beans, asparagus and avacodo (like guacamole) and my friend had the veal tenderloin with greens and parmesan. It is hard to say what went wrong, the dishes were not anything like what was anticipated. My salmon dish sounding lite and fresh with summer veg was heavy and smoky and odd, it had many flavors going on, but none of them worked together and the veal was a cutlet, fried, tough and the dressing was awful tasting. It was the first time in my life that two dinners got sent back at the same table (the only two dinners). We felt terrible, especially after the promising start of the evening, but both dishes just did not work, at all. It seemed as if too much effort went into the construction and complication (purees and sauces etc.) of the dishes and none into the actual taste of them. The management was gracious and made no fuss in taking them back...we ended up splitting their hickory ham grilled cheese (which was really delish). So I am torn, I have had appetizers and their house burger there before and everything has been so good, but I do not think I will venture into their entrees in the future. Moving forward I would do what their Chef may want to do a little, keep it more simple...I love complex cooking techniques, but not if they sacrifice the flavor of the ingredients.

Brookfield, Connecticut
“Great...but still needs a tweak.”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I went here for my birthday dinner and the ambiance, decor, music and service all get an A+. They have only been open 8 months so I tend to expect some minor inconsistencies with a new restaurant, which they do have. Great cocktails and bar, the restaurant is upscale rustic with brick walls and wood beams, place for grown-ups. My husband ordered a Stella Artois draft, and when served it was not in the Stella glass. Small thing, yes...but I've been in dive bars that serve Stella as it should be, so an upscale bistro should have the right glass for the drink being served.

We started with calamari and the appetizer special, a red snapper ceviche. My husbands calamari was excellent, cooked perfectly, crispy and light with two different dipping aiolis. My ceviche however was dreadful. This dish should be chunks of dense fish, scallop or shrimp marinated in lime juice until cooked, but this looked more like cat food. The fish was shredded or marinated to death-travesty to red snapper, and the avocado and cucumber were in such tiny pieces they were almost undetectable. I rarely send a dish back, but this was inedible and not ceviche. Our server Courtney was excellent and immediately recovered the situation by offering a replacement and suggested the spring chopped salad, which was delicious. For our main course we both had steak, sauteed mushrooms, and truffle fries. Our steaks were perfectly cooked and came with a choice of sauces, I had the demiglace. But like another reviewer, I too found the food very over salted, which they really need to reign in. It was a perfectly prepared demiglace save for the salt. Truffle fries were great and the truffle wasn't just oil, but again over salted. Overall I really liked this restaurant, great menu and will definitely return again hoping they get these items nailed. But if they can't, then they'll just be another average restaurant with nice atmosphere and a good bar, which there are too many of already in Danbury.

Lewes, Delaware
“Lunch at the Market Place”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Excellent service. Shared the cheese and meat board which had a good variety of 4 cheeses and 4 meats with good accompaniments (apricots, cornichons, nuts, great mustards). Anglotti (ravioli) very good; fish and chips also very good.

We will be back.

Connecticut
“The Good, the Bad and the Ugly”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Good: The Food; innovative, excellently prepared, nicely presented. Two of us had a corn risotto that was incredible. The veal, the steak and the swordfish that our group had was also excellent with the exception that the swordfish, although perfectly cooked, was outrageously over salted. The Bad: The Service. Our waiter was in La-La Land for most of the night. The guy should definitely find another line of work. Although we were there on a Sunday night and the restaurant was NOT busy, our waiter seemed to be everywhere but in the dining room serving his customers. Our entrees took in excess of 60 minutes to arrive, and our desserts, nearly 30. Gelato for dessert, and our waiter brings forks......He did later return with spoons, but what was with the forks? Two of us ordered a veal special that was listed on the menu insertion as being served with asparagus; no asparagus was on either plate, and when we brought this to the attention of the waiter, he told us that he'd like to see our copies of that menu because he didn't remember seeing asparagus listed on his; we asked him to check that menu, because we firmly believed that he was mistaken. Thirty minutes later and we had to grab him as he walked by and repeat our request as he hadn't yet checked. Guess what? Asparagus was listed as one of the main ingredients on everybody's menu! Getting the check took another 15 minutes and the waiter was gone with our credit cards for an additional quarter of an hour. All told, dinner with just entrees and dessert took over two and half hours. Pathetic!!! The Ugly: About thirty minutes after our arrival, there was a very loud explosive sound that seemed to come from the bar area; it caught absolutely everyone's attention, and we could see several employees walking briskly towards that area where the sound seemed to have originated from. About forty minutes after that, the police arrived, and a few minutes later, an officer came up to our table and asked us in an almost off-handed way, "by any chance, do you have any weapons on you"..... What?????? We were soon informed by another employee (we would have asked our waiter, but who knew where he was?) that the police were there investigating a possible gun shot. I then grabbed the manager of the restaurant and inquired as to what was happening, and he informed me that he had absolutely no idea of why the police were there. When I asked him about the loud explosive sound that we had heard earlier, he told us that he hadn't heard it at all......PURE BULL. This place obviously has a manager who is totally uncaring about his customers' safety, and who seems more concerned about people mentioning the possibility of a gun being fired within the establishment. This is all too bad because the food is really, really good; but they can definitely be sure that we won't be back to taste it again.....at least not without a flak jacket!

8 Thank LochnessConnecticut