“Good food”
Review of Widow Browns Cafe

Widow Browns Cafe
Ranked #47 of 285 Restaurants in Danbury
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Widow Browns has been in business since 1977. We serve fresh food prepared daily with a large diverse menu that everyone would enjoy. From burgers and specialty sandwiches such as Reubens and french dip.....to New York Strip Steak and comfort food such as meatloaf, mac and cheese, BBQ ribs and many more.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stopped for dinner recently since we hadn't been in a while. It looks like a hole in the wall but the food was good and the waitress was very nice. We shared the nachos which were good...could have made a meal out of just that. My husband had a philly cheese steak sandwich which was delicious and I had a gorganzola salad with walnuts and apple and honey balsamic....very good. Not overpriced, simple, and friendly bar. We will go again.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is becoming one of our favorite places to grab a casual bite to eat in the area. Happy hour prices and $5 appetizers are appealing (delicious shrimp quesadillas!) and good variety of lunch/dinner options. We have had both good service and terrible service (a woman saying she worked there for over 10 years but had no idea what was on the menu). Bar has lots of room and they have a nice open area with pool tables and a few booths.

WidowsBrowns, Owner at Widow Browns Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thanks for the review....I printed it and hung it up for my employees to see. They really should know the menu...maybe you were referring to the happy hour menu, that has only be out for a couple of months. But anyway, they will know it now. Thanks for the input.. Aura

Reviewed August 18, 2013

One of those bars that is fun to goto when you are looking to have a great time with friends and still be able to hear eachother while having fun. They also have some pretty good burgers.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We went for lunch and because of health issues I asked of they could substitute the french fries for a small salad. The waiter said "no problem". Both my husband and myself asked for the substitution. The food was ok, but when the bill came, they added $1.00 for each of us for the substitution.

If the waiter had said there was a charge or if it stated so on the menu, it would have been my decision to spend the $2.00. It was not their right to add a charge on their own. When we questioned the fact that each item was $1.00 more, the waiter checked the menu and was surprised himself. He asked the manager (or owner), and she said it was because of the substitution.

I had meatloaf which was not bad, but the gravy was jarred sauce. The hamburger was good.

2  Thank dfalk90
WidowsBrowns, Owner at Widow Browns Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

I know you we're upset when we charged you an extra 1.00 for our house salad and you are correct it should have been on the menu. We are coming out with a new menu and the charge will be added. Thanks so much for your input. By the way our gravy is not out of a can.

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Pub menu -- burgers, sandwiches, wraps, etc. Good food, nice "local joint" atmosphere. (Although the music always seems a bit too loud!)

This trip, I had a BLT -- generous amount of bacon, crispy fresh lettuce, tomato was ripe. Toast was nice and crispy. Very good! Onion rings were good, too.

DH had a meatloaf sandwich -- generous slab on bread of your choice. Served with gravy on the side, and fries. Overall good, but he thought it was a bit bland. (I usually make meatloaf with finely chopped onion, green pepper, garlic, and Italian-flavored breadcrumbs, so, perhaps he's just used to a more boldly flavored meatloaf?)

Finally, we had their classic brownie sundae -- trust me, it's enough for two people!

As usual, a consistent, comfortable dining experience

WidowsBrowns, Owner at Widow Browns Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thanks so much for that great review. I will keep an eye on the volume of the music. I agree sometimes. It is a bit loud. Aura